Opinions Remove "Pioneer" Stickers/Stripes?

SuperWade2

I'm considering getting rid of the Black/Grey Stripes and the "Pioneer" wording on my White MJ?

First, Opinions, Yes or No, Secondly, If Yes, do I have to worry about faded paint and the white color being different between where the sticker was and the rest of the body. (thus making it look horrible anyhow). I have no plans to paint the whole thing, because other than a few tiny spots, it overall in good shape.

I was going to try to Photochop the before and after but frankly I was just too lazy... so here is just the before and you can imaging what It might be like with out the strip and wording?

DSC08802.jpg

That ain't rust, that's just like what I call a good Weber grill that's never been cleaned...............seasoned!

SWDeuce, I saw someone's rig lately where they left the letters but took off the stripes, i.e. opposite of what JT suggested. I like JTs idea but the one I saw with just "Pioneer" looked pretty cool too. Different for sure. :popcorn:

I think it would look good with just the stripes. Remover the letters and extend the two stripes on down the bed. my $.02 :D

I'm thinking this is a maybe... at least the first parts... Leaving the stripes and just axing the "Pioneer" letters... not sure I'd be able to extend the stickers down in a way that would match well enough...

Maybe something like this...

dsc08802wp6.jpg

A couple of things to consider when removing the decals.

1. The paint underneath them will be as shinny as the day it was painted.(unless you have that rust thing they talk about but I don't think you have to worry about that.)

2. Once they are removed you will still see the outlines. They leave a slight ridge that my paint shop hated. They had to do alot more sanding than they wanted to.

3. Use a heat gun and they peal right off, however you have to be carefull not to scorch the paint. I also had a couple of spots that lifted the paint when I pealed mine off.

I have always like the pioneer decals over all the others and would love to put them back on but with the dark gray now on the MJ, they wouldn't stand out as well.

If you are going to paint the truck later, I would assume that you would get new decals, so peal them off and see how you like it.

:cheers:

You're paint looks pretty good, and by being white, the ghost effect of your stripes will be reduced. It will be more noticeable where the letters were. But if you are worried about ghosting, and leaving on the "pioneer" stickers by themselves is NOT one of the options for you, pull them off first and see how bad the ghosting is. Some light rubbing compound may do the trick if it's really noticeable.

If you pull the stickers, like MFpdm said leave the heat gun on low and keep at a distance. You want just enough heat to warm up the glue. Also, have a spray bottle of dishsoap and water and as you start to get a piece peeling away start spraying the slippery stuff liberally. WD40 would work great but you might blow through several cans as opposed to one bottle of $2 dishsoap. If you don't have a plastic decal applicator to scrape the stickers off, a plastic spatula with a thin edge works good.

Oh yeah, and if you have glue residue still there after the stickers are gone, again WD40 works good and rubbing alcohol works really well too (they're both great on tree sap!!)

Probably just told you a bunch of stuff you already know, but hopefully something helpful in my nickels worth above. :laughin:

With white, again, it will be significantly less noticeable than ANY dark(er) color.

When I oversaw a 200 truck commercial fleet and I sold trucks off, the door logos showed little to no ghosting after removal from the white doors. Ever see a Penske YELLOW truck with the logos removed? And not just on the FRP box, I'm talking doors.

BTW 89, I definitely like your "Eliminator" only sticker.......

Maybe something like this...

dsc08802wp6.jpg

This reminds me of the 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda hockey stripes. Add "4.0 LITRE" or "242" in place of the PIONEER or better yet find a way to drop in a Hemi and add "HEMI" underneath like the 'Cuda stripes!!! jamminz.gif

By the way, I don't see the Mercedes impact.

Jeff (or Jerry if your reading), was there any ghost effect apparent after he pulled them off? Obviously the trucks are about the same age but if Jerry's truck has been in VA or Mid-Atlantic it's whole life it's lived through harsher weather than SW2s (I believe it's been a West Coast truck all its life), which could make the contrast between Jerry's paint more noticeable. I think even though it is only one sample to go by for Wade, it's about as apples to apples as he's gonna get. Very curious to know............ :hmm:

Don't use the heat. Use the wheel i used

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/astmat06.html

It is like a rubber eraser for your truck. It does leave alittle ghosting but if you are going to do this then you must have already decided to polished the truck. I am getting ready to do some body work and repaint. Then I am going to put a small double pinstripe down the body line that goes through the keylock. I also am going to remove the black bodyside molding.

Before

After

I am also going to put White herculiner on the rockers. This should do alot toward giving it a sleek apearrance.

I think the stripes and lettering looks to 80's,, I'm removing mine from the eliminator,, but I think I might get just an eliminator decals for the bed like 89eliminator has. Your stripes aren't too bad looking.. though, being black/gray on white... Do what you think looks good.

Mineral sprints will remove glue without eating paint too = less cash