MJ ----> DD(Daily Driver)

Here is a short summary of what I have done. I will be expanding this as time allows later. This project started in Feb of 2006. I have been working on it since then. I started with a 2WD 88MJ Shortbed. It did not run and it was in bad shape mechanically. The rest(body,frame, interior) was in ok shape. Did a 2WD to 4WD swap and added an AW4 tranny since old one was bad.

I have been making some small changes to my MJ over the last few weeks. It is becoming more of a daily driver. I got a new front bumper, which meant I would have to swap springs to hold up said bumper. Then that meant I had to lift the rear to match the front. Then I had to cut a little off the front to make the bumper look OK. So it is coming along but there are still some things left to do. I am going to need to replace the Cat. When I do this I am hoping to find someone on here to weld it up for me. Then I will add a new muffler and tailpipe, so hopefully the sound will be a little quieter and more civilized.

Here are some pics from the transformation so far.

When I first got it and it did not even run.

After the 2WD to 4WD swap and at its maiden voyage offroad.

After the bumper install, with the front springs and an AAL.

After some Lift shackles and some trimming, as well as some new to me front shocks.

Didn't trim much but it makes a huge difference.

Next is removing the stripes and doing some body work. It just may have to go wheeling in the next month or so. It looks like it needs it.

• 2 weeks later...

I swapped the console to a T-case Bezel. Also added a cover plate for where the console used to be. I think it cam out pretty good.

Working on the interior moldings next. Then the dash. Should be done in a few weeks.

• 5 weeks later...

I have finished swapping out the rear springs for some 4x4 ones I got from 99ncxj(thank you), after they were rehabbed ala mjeff87. They were torn down stripped and painted with graphite paint. Rebuilt with a rusty's 3in AAL, rehung with 2in chevy drop shackles and bolted in with poly bushings.

Shocks had to be replaced so in come the front shocks from a ford F450 Super-duty(Gabriel G63692 to be exact). Rear is kinda stiff but I am hoping that everything will settle in over the next couple weeks.

I had swapped the front springs with TJ 4in lift springs and some longer Rancho 9000 shocks, but I still was chasing some death wobble. Could have been because the axle I used to convert from 4WD was a junkyard find and I did not do the rehab on it when I converted. So on to the front end rehab. I got a full Poly bshing kit which included the rear spring bushings. When I started the front end I decided to use half rubber and half poly. I was hoping to have some sort of decent ride up front more on that later. I used an extra set of control arms so I pressed in sleeves for the poly bushings and some rubber bushings in the lowers. I pressed in sleeves in the uppers for poly. I pressed out the bushings from the axle and found that they were pretty much toast. I put new rubber in the axle. Installing the control arms I found that there is no easy way do go about this. I ended up pulling the wheel and undoing the shocks, swaybar, and compressing the spring to allow the axle to move enough to install the new control arms. When I installed the lower control arms I put the poly on the axle end and the rubber to the body. For the uppers the rubber is in the axle and the poly in the body.

In the kit were some boots for the steering linkage so I put them in. I installed a new steering stabilizer. After all this work I took it for a test ride and guess what...........Death wobble seems to be gone.

Now I need to do some exhaust work, replacing the Cat and everything back from there.

While I was waiting for the springs to be finished I found a nice little something at my local Pep Boys Store on the clearance table.

Now my stance is just about right, may have to drop the rear an inch. Jeff emasured and I think the fender is 21 from the hub up front and 22 1/2 in the rear. with the drop shackles I have the option to drop it an inch, so we will see if it settles.

Now my stance is just about right, may have to drop the rear an inch. Jeff emasured and I think the fender is 21 from the hub up front and 22 1/2 in the rear. with the drop shackles I have the option to drop it an inch, so we will see if it settles.

I like the stance as is... I'd leave it. :D

Nice looking truck! jamminz.gif

I just got around to getting my winch checked and installing it into the MJ.

I added some hooks to finish off the front and now it is ready to go.

I also adjusted the rear shackles a little bit.

I had too much rake IMHO, so it needed to be more level. I also needed to protect the rear brake line until I could add a bracket to lower it a little.

In doing my front end work I found that I needed new tires. I got some AT's, 30x9.50/LT15's.

They are not a first line brand, but they will work until I can get the gearing done and go to 31's. Now I need to do some exhaust work and then body work.

• 4 weeks later...

I did the initial design, but I used a local shop to do the welding and the to plasma cut the brackets. It can be removed from the brackets. has 2in angle on the back side as tabs. Brackets mount to stock bumper location. Get in touch with Matt at www.independent4x.com and I can take mine back to him for measurements and he can make one for you. Just have him give me a call. Not sure on the cost cause I had my own materials except for the bracketry. He can get with you on that. It is a simple bumper. 2x3 tube with receiver integrated. Bumper is tucked under the tailgate and fits flush.

• 9 months later...

The fit is multi-application. It came off a mid 80's toyota pick-up. you can go to the Bestop website and look at the application list. In the installation guides there are measurements that tell you the bed size they fit. It took some time to find one, but I think it is a real good fit. It will collapse down up behind the cab and leave the entire bed open.