Spray Paint....

Is all spray paint the same?

Is the more expensive spray paint worth the extra coin or am I just better off buying a bunch of the cheap $#!& and painting over and over again....

Also, I am mostly asking about primer spray paint, nothing fancy.

I've had good luck with Rustoleum and always buy it. I bought Krylon once because the store didn't cary Rustoleum and it was awful- ruined my project.

I've done several things with Rustoleum rattle cans including 2 full vehicles. Get yourself a handle that snaps into the top ring of the can and has a trigger to depress the nozzle. Your thumbs will thank you later.

You can buy lacquer, enamel and urethane. Cost is in that order as is is the durability. Lacquer can be bought for $ 0.99 a can, urethane is 4.99. Lacquer will wash off a little at a time, urethane will take a scratch the best.

Krylon usually will crinkle the paint underneath, especially if it is relatively fresh. It's an incompatibility of thinners. Never a good idea to mix. I know lacquer thinner will penetrate to the base metal and soften all layers. If there is any incompatibility, it's time to start over. Some combinations might work but some won't. Like latex can go over oil base but not the other way around.

I used Rustoleum (sp?) on my MJ directly over the factory paint (no primer) and got great results. I got best results just giving it 1 heavy layer of paint and NOT wet sanding it after the fact.

It's held up very well, still looks good, and hasn't came off even after many many trail runs.

Photo of the bedside with 1 coat of paint.

100_1423.jpg

Entire MJ.

100_0644.jpg

That's a nice green- good looking MJ.

I have to share a story. :D My dad did a bunch of rust work on his XJ, naval jelly and aluminum tape over the holes, and then painted it black with brush on rustoleum. Apart from being ugly (and brushed on) it held up pretty well. He went back at some point with blue latex brush on, thinking it would seal things up.

I tried to tell him you can't put latex over oil-based paint and he was convinced I had it backwards. The next day the whole jeep was peeling blue in big sheets and there was blue "snow" up to quarter size blown all over the neighbors yard!

yep def get the handle, not only will it make things easier it will save your finger from cramping like crazy. and as far as primer goes... you don't really need it unless your paint is all uneven to begin with. when i sprayed mine it had paint peel all over the hood and roof, and most of the front clip was all mismatched body panels, i primered it and it came out fine.

Image Not Found

what color orange is that?

looks like a safety orange,,,

I love spray paint,, esp in black,, flats, semi's, gloss,, I'd rather have a can of black spray paint then have to prep the gun, pour the pint and mix it up spray, then just to have to clean the gun after your done,, because unless I'm spraying a expensive finish on something I'm not going to waste time on all thats involved.. besides,, most things that get painted black are trim, and sometimes bumpers and other small things....

Rustolem is a good can of paint,, not to bad on the pocket either..

I like mar-hyde too,, it always leaves a good finish,,

Dupli-color,, when I'm at autozone or advanced,, i use it alot just cause its readily available to me and inexpensive..

SEM is my favorite though,, because its good for plastics, and most small lil things I paint are plastic.. but it is costly,, most time you can only get it at paint stores..

The thing about buying paint is knowing exactly what you want to do with the project, because theres a million different colors and types out there,,

The lil gun handle is nice also,, you get 10x more control of what your doing and gives you better results,, plus the fact if your going to paint for a while then your hands will thank you....

Have any of you guys used this online paint supplier? It looks like they have the exact factory colors-but VERY expensive.

www.paintscratch.com

Yeah 24 bucks foe a 20 at most oz can of paint....wait,,, 12.5 oz??? No way man,,, by the time you bought enough to do anything you could have taking it to a body shop.... Think of the can as being as big as a can of coke.

Have any of you guys used this online paint supplier? It looks like they have the exact factory colors-but VERY expensive.

www.paintscratch.com

Dude that site spyware trojan'd my computer. I couldn't even delete it until I shut the site.

"Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen" Risk: High

www.paintscratch.com

Dude that site spyware trojan'd my computer. I couldn't even delete it until I shut the site.

"Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen" Risk: High

WTF??? For real man?? What program you using cause my pc didnt pop smoke..

Yup......

The requested URL http://www.paintscratch.com/ is infected with Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen virus

Don't Click It!!!!!

And get this - Kaspersky Anti-Virus

;)

From viruslist.com:

Technical details

This family of Trojans utilises spoofing technology. The Trojans themselves are contained in fake HTML pages. Messages, purportedly from banks, financial institutions, internet stores, software companies etc. are sent to users. These messages contain a link to the fake page; this link exploits the Frame Spoof vulnerability in Internet Explorer.

The Frame Spoof vulnerability is present in Internet Explorer v. 5.x and 6.x, and detailed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-004. The bulletin also gives recommendations on how to recognise spoofed sites.

Once a user visits the fake site, and enters account details or personal information, these details will be sent to a malicious remote user, who will then have access to users' confidential information.

If you don't use ie 5 or 6 you're fine. It also doesn't actually install anything on your computer. As long as you don't enter any bank/credit card/paypal info you're fine.

I'd definitely get one that has a nozzle that sprays a fan pattern. You'll be less likely to get striping that way. They're usually more expensive though. Do you have an Ollies nearby. We have one and they usually have epensive paint. 4 or 5 dollar a can stuff, for 99 cents.

Chris

ive tried using primer on my truck and it keeps wearing off to show bubbles of the original color. what would you guys recomend using to make it look better and last longer. i have to keep coating it with prmer. i would like it to last longer till i can afford to get the body work and paint done by a pro.