Project Budget Trail Mj. *New Pics*

Starting with 1987 2.5L Mj 2wd.

Parts Ready to be installed are.....

D30/D35 (Remember "Budget") 3.55/Xj Stuff.

4wd/2.5Xj Front Driveline.

RE Front Track Bar.

SOA Rear.

34" SS-LTB-07 on Black Rock crawlers.

AX5/NP207

No name Ext. LCA's

6" Tj Coils I hope are on there way.

Desert Tan Military style Paint (The white is a Rattle can)

Stuff I'm Still looking for.......

4wd/Sb/2.5L rear Driveline.

And something is wrong with the Clutch.....Damnit. I blead the crap out of it and it still won't go into gear Pumping doesnt build more pressure,No Leaks, However the Pedal assy is worn out and its flexing alot and not pushing the plunger in very far.

**UPDATE**

SOA Done.

Front End Stripped and ready for the D30.

Coils and LCA's are ready to go in Along with the RE trackbar.

**UPDATE**

Progress.....

here's the Pics.

The Lift is not installed, It should give the 33" more than enough room. So don't judge its size yet.

The wheels are going to be a off white color, Much like my loved Jt Truck.

**UPDATE**

**UPDATE** 3/30/08

Shes on the ground!

~Ryan

~Ryan Galford

I'll Keep the Photo's Flowing. The build starts next week.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not wanting to discourage you, but 34's + 2.5 (TBI) + 3.55's are gonna bring the suck......at least swap the 207 for a 231 with the deeper low.

I'm at 4.56 on 33 AT's now, and am planning a 4.0L swap :evil:

:cheers:

Jeff

If the axles are cheap enough, then it might be ok for now. But yeah, 3.55s are not enough gearing. I would start planning for the next phase to include 4.56 or 4.88s and A better rear axle (29 spline 8.25, Explorer 8.8 or MJ/XJ Dana 44)

Also, just in case you didn't know, the perches on the XJ rear axle will need to be moved inwards a bit to match the MJ leaf locations.

Remember, This is the "Budget Build" get it rolling to the corner store then start the upgrades.

The Yj has the "Goods", this is a slow rolling process to get all the 4wd under the rig in working order.

Down the Road I'd say 8.8/Detroit/Hp30 Alloy/4.88's

But for now I'm trying to keep it simple and Very Very CHEAP! Total cost is just over $250 So far. Thats including the Price of the Comanche itself, 33" Rubber, RE Trackbar, AX5/207,Lift Parts, Axles, Front Shaft. So I'm on the right track for "Budget" Once I get deeper I'll post what I have into it.

~Ryan

(I know all about the 2.5L/34" LTB/4.10, I'm working on that rig now too.)

I found the Comanche for Free.

w/ the Ax5/207 4wd Swap started. I payed $150 to have it delivered. (OR to WA)

Rubber I picked up w/ Wheels for $100. 33" BFG's

(I decided against the 34" LTB's off my Yj.)

All the rest was craigslist (Free) and friends.

It was really alot of driving and Dead ends, Found the Axles because someone was doing a swap and didnt have room, Going about 40 Miles North Tomorrow to Pickup a Free D30Hp. Hopefully as a good parts axle.

~Ryan

(Pay it forward, then it all came back as a comanche 2wd, lol)

With 6" Coils and SOA I don't think I would need much cutting, Would I?

I was thinking with the 2.5L 33" Tires pretty much max me out.

~Ryan

No cutty cutty.

yes, no cutty cutty

and no need to with that high of a lift.

Thats what we wanted to hear.

here's another Before Photo, having a little build party this weekend to knock out the axle swap and Lift. Just need a Seat cover and the Interior is done.

Hopefully have a line on the Np231 in the near future. That will help this thing move down the road. (From what I hear)

Looking into the 4.0 Swap now, I'm thinking its not to much more work to just toss that in there, My worry is the Wiring, Whats involved there?

2.5 to 4.0 Swap guys Unite here and let me know what to expect from that. I got a line on a 4.0 Xj 2wd.

~Ryan

Looking into the 4.0 Swap now, I'm thinking its not to much more work to just toss that in there, My worry is the Wiring, Whats involved there?

2.5 to 4.0 Swap guys Unite here and let me know what to expect from that. I got a line on a 4.0 Xj 2wd.

~Ryan

may as well hold off for a 4wd xj. then you'll get everything you need for the 4wd, AND 4.0 swap. transmissions are 100% not interchangeable between the 4.0 and the 2.5.

you need the engine, tranny, driveshaft(s), transfercase, and ALL ENGINE BAY wiring as well as ALL interior wiring from the driver's seats forward.

ALL ENGINE BAY wiring as well as ALL interior wiring from the driver's seats forward.

Yeah, thats the reason why it was just "A thought" ..... Sounds like a time eating Nightmare....Right?

~Ryan

I’m right around 6” with 33’s (5.5" TJ coils and small spacer in the front and SOA in rear). The only thing you might want to think about cutting is the rear fender flares in the front. I moved my axle forward 1.25” to center it, but the 33’s won’t stuff fully because they hit (bad) in the rear. I haven’t gotten the sawzall out yet, but it’s on the to-do list (I’ve already chopped the front).

Image Not Found

And for the 4.0 swap, you’ll need the entire underhood harness. This one took me about 2 hours to pull yesterday, after I figured out how to get it separated and pulled thru the front clip (you have to pull the clip and fish it backwards thru the hole in the driverside header panel:

Image Not Found

how so Pat? I've got the harness from the ECU (and the ECU) the whole way to the fuseblock. Everything looks the same, outside of the injector harness and a couple other doodads, as the 2.5 harness.

Jerry and I stripped, and I mean stripped, the interior of the donor MJ today, and the interior harness has the same wiring as well...even the fuseblock is the same. The only difference in the engine harnesses is that the donor MJ was an auto...I'll need to figure out how to jump the non-existant NSS, like we did with our buddies YJ when we went from auto to manual.

Or am I :nuts:

JEff