AX-15 internal vice external slave cylinder

Well folks here is the scoop got an ax-15 which i believe its from a

wrangler vice comanche/cherokee due to the fact that it is right up to

the underside of the MJ. my question is since this a an ax-15 what would

it take to go from internal to external (slave cyl)most of the info i

got so far is to go with external I would like to know what years would be the least amount of pain. right now i'm looking for the correct bell housing and can not find it locally here in the tidewater area. any help would be

greatly appreciated btw second retainer in the internal slave popped

out. thanks for your support

This is a fairly simple swap. Look for a late model YJ bellhousing 93-95...

Personally I actually like the internal slave.. gets it out of the way... I know its a real PITA to change, but gives you a good excuse to do all sorts of other repairs while in there. Knock on wood... I had one last over 5 years without any problem in my YJ. By the time you might find one to swap you might as well have put the internal in so you can drive your Jeep.. they are sot of hard to come by seperate from their tranmisisons. If you are up for a chalange conver your current housing.

I have done this swap many times, and it is a good one if you wheel your rig at all. Heat, cold, mud, dust, ect all cause the hydraulic throw out bearing to fail.

You need the bellhousing, master and slave cylinders, the hose, throwout bearing clutch fork, and most importantly, the front bearing ratainer, as it is different between the two. It is all bolt on.

http://www.picturetrail.com/petermontie

in the drivetrain folder you can kinda see what I did to fit a TJ AX-15 into my MJ. I bought a complete trans, so I don't have a list of necessary parts, but the 4x4 shifter assembly and tranny mount was different between the two Jeeps. Aslo, I mated the stock MJ master cylinder line to the TJ slave cylinder line with a simple compression fitting from the hardware store. Saved me from trying to retrofit the later model master.

WOW Pete outstanding work there, I guess that your tranny is of a 99TJ correct me if i'm wrong got this base on your slave cylinder mod. when on budget one must improvise and certainly you have exceeded in that dept hands down. would like to make some additional chnages myself. I'll provide photo's of my MJ here shortly. again thanks

This is a fairly simple swap. Look for a late model YJ bellhousing 93-95...

Personally I actually like the internal slave.. gets it out of the way...

Gets it out of the way of what?

The external clutch slave is from '94+. You'll need the bellhousing, clutch fork, throwout bearing, external clutch slave, tranny front output cover, and possibly the clutch and clutch master cylinder.

my next question would be why would the retainer & flared roll pin come off(2X) on a remanufactured tranny would there be a difference if the tranny is from an MJ/XJ/TJ any :idea: would be greatly appreciated

:cheers:

which more the reason to go with the external slave clinder the problem is that the bone yards around the tidewater area don't have any :headpop: so the next place is the internet but you have to make sure that every thing is included so u go a place to start.