B) balanced tires

C) new HD track bar and bracket

D) change all tie rod ends then re-align

E) change u-joints

F) change caster

G) new upper control arms-part of F i guess

H) new UCA axle bushings

I) realign

I am freeway worthy!!!! I'm not freaked out getting on the 405 with the hords of cars going 80mph. I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!! :jump:

two months and lots of money later. i see the light at the end of the post lift tunnel

CURE TO MY DEATH WOBBLE!

(A) new LCAs.

:D the one thing you didn't have to do ;)

i just dealt with it for a year and some change, its a wonderful feeling to be able to just drive my truck.

i know the feeling :D I'm still a little nervous on bumps doing 80mph, but hopefully that will go away (the nervousness) death wobble sucks!!!!

the only reason i didnt have to do the lcu's was because i aready changed em a few months ago, the lift started all this, but worth it now. jamminz.gif

lets see if the new 33 x 10.5 x 15 will effect anything, when i can afford them that is. ;)

I had a bit of wobble/vagueness that I cured with a simple toe-in adjustment. When the DPO installed the 4" lift, he didn't bother to readjust steering center, toe, caster, or anything as near as I can tell (though he did install an adjustable JKS track bar so he did do the axle). So I've done steering center adjust as well.

I'm putting some new 31x10.5x15 ProComps on, then I need to find some shims for the LCAs (3.5 degrees caster, and I want to get closer to spec.), and go back through all the adjustments.

Anyone know how thick of a shim I need to bring the caster back to adjustment?

BTW shouldn't this be in Tech forum?

I had a bit of wobble/vagueness that I cured with a simple toe-in adjustment. When the DPO installed the 4" lift, he didn't bother to readjust steering center, toe, caster, or anything as near as I can tell (though he did install an adjustable JKS track bar so he did do the axle). So I've done steering center adjust as well.

I'm putting some new 31x10.5x15 ProComps on, then I need to find some shims for the LCAs (3.5 degrees caster, and I want to get closer to spec.), and go back through all the adjustments.

Anyone know how thick of a shim I need to bring the caster back to adjustment?

BTW shouldn't this be in Tech forum?

just wanted to share my joy of being death wobble free, didnt think it would get technical :oops:

4" of lift seems like alot to not change the LCA, maybe some adjustables. i know they only made 2 different shim sizes for these. are you planning on making some? the thickest one ive seen is about 1/4" (thats a guess though) doesnt seem like enough.

4" of lift seems like alot to not change the LCA, maybe some adjustables. i know they only made 2 different shim sizes for these. are you planning on making some? the thickest one ive seen is about 1/4" (thats a guess though) doesnt seem like enough.

The LCAs were changed, but not adjustable. I'm planning on making the shims (unless the right ones fall into my lap), but I'm not sure about the thickness. Seems like 1/4" might be right, but I hope to get it right the first time.

BTW the caster on both wheels is identical, so that part should be simple.

I just had the g/f's 89 on the alinment rack at work an we could'nt get enough caster in it. It's got a R/E. 5.5 lift with fix's lower arm's.

The alinment slot's were not long enough to slide the arm's enough forward.

maybe time for the adjustables :brows:

The LCAs were changed, but not adjustable. I'm planning on making the shims (unless the right ones fall into my lap), but I'm not sure about the thickness. Seems like 1/4" might be right, but I hope to get it right the first time.

BTW the caster on both wheels is identical, so that part should be simple.

4mm is the thickest factory shim. I put in a pair this afternoon, easy job, and got 2* more caster; am sitting now back at the factory spec of 7* measured at the upper ball joint. Tracks much better, but did nothing for the slight vibes I have between 35-45 MPH, although I did not expect it to. I have a 3" lift. Am using WJ LCAs.

The farthest I've driven my mj is about 5 miles... It's going to be on the road soon, so do 2wd get the Death Wobbles? When JEEPERZ said something about hitting a bump at 80, I kinda pucked-up at the thought of what would happen if it happened to me. I have never felt them what happens??

The farthest I've driven my mj is about 5 miles... It's going to be on the road soon, so do 2wd get the Death Wobbles? When JEEPERZ said something about hitting a bump at 80, I kinda pucked-up at the thought of what would happen if it happened to me. I have never felt them what happens??

ive heard of people gettin the wobbles in 2wd trucks. its more of a loose, out of wack front end thing then being 2wd or 4wd.

ill tell you from my experience, all hell breaks loose, the steering wheel knocks back and forth really fast and super hard.:eek: i think its actually hard to see, cause your brain gets rattled pretty hard. one thing i will say, is it hasnt thrown me out of control, ive always been able to slow down to like 10mph to get it to stop (safely). kinda pisses people on the freeway off a bit and slows traffic down.:popcorn: i can't imagine what would happen if i would have been on a tight turn when it happend. i wonder if anyone has died due to the death wobble. when testing to see if it was gone, i would get up really early in the morning when there was no traffic to check it out.

4mm is the thickest factory shim. I put in a pair this afternoon, easy job, and got 2* more caster; am sitting now back at the factory spec of 7* measured at the upper ball joint. Tracks much better, but did nothing for the slight vibes I have between 35-45 MPH, although I did not expect it to. I have a 3" lift. Am using WJ LCAs.

Thanks. Two degrees or so is just about what I'm looking for, so that gives me something to shoot for. :cheers:

i have the DEATH WOBBLE right now it happens about 3 or 4 time in a 3 mile drive and i pissed a lot of people off stopping in the middle of the road especially since my brake lights don't work right now.

have you tried to fix that yet?? :eek: