Cummins powered MJ vid.

89eliminator

the engine is used in step vans like bread trucks and stuff like that. They produce around 125hp and 350 ft. lb torque. i have no clue what the swap involves. All i know is i want one in my jeep jamminz.gif

It involves a ton of work from what I have seen. It would also reguire stronger driveline parts to deal with the torque. It's a cummins 4bt engine.

Go here to learn more.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

I think one would be sweet.

the engine is used in step vans like bread trucks and stuff like that. They produce around 125hp and 350 ft. lb torque. i have no clue what the swap involves. All i know is i want one in my jeep jamminz.gif

It involves a ton of work from what I have seen. It would also reguire stronger driveline parts to deal with the torque. It's a cummins 4bt engine.

Go here to learn more.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

I think one would be sweet.

it would be awesome to have, but with the price of diesel fuel right now, it wouldn't be practical. the last i saw, it was at $3.55 compared to $3.05 for gasoline.

When I built the truck, diesel was about $.60 LESS per gallon than regular unleaded. Now not only does the fuel quality suck, is also sucks my wallet thin. $.50 cent more per gallon or not, I can get 36mpg unloaded, if I drive like a 100 yr old woman, If I beat it like always, I average 26-28. The worst mileage per tank to date was 20mpg fully loaded towing about 7k lbs. Thats also making about 200hp and 490ft lbs at the flywheel with my present mods. When I finish the Dana 60's, I'm sure the added weight and gear will bring the mileage down a bit, but I want the durability of the 60's for towing my trail rig on my gooseneck. This project was not cheap, and its not over, but boy is it fun!

When I built the truck, diesel was about $.60 LESS per gallon than regular unleaded. Now not only does the fuel quality suck, is also sucks my wallet thin. $.50 cent more per gallon or not, I can get 36mpg unloaded, if I drive like a 100 yr old woman, If I beat it like always, I average 26-28. The worst mileage per tank to date was 20mpg fully loaded towing about 7k lbs. Thats also making about 200hp and 490ft lbs at the flywheel with my present mods. When I finish the Dana 60's, I'm sure the added weight and gear will bring the mileage down a bit, but I want the durability of the 60's for towing my trail rig on my gooseneck. This project was not cheap, and its not over, but boy is it fun!

Nice truck. jamminz.gif Welcome aboard.

So do you have a build up thread anywhere?

I would love to get the details about your build and read about the future mods you have planned. :cheers:

At $3.55 vs $3.05 that's @16-17% increase in fuel cost. His WORST case tank on regular driving was 26mpg, where the BEST case tank for most 4x4 4.0's is 20mpg. That's a 30% increase. He's way ahead on fuel cost. It won't exactly pay for the cost of the swap, but hey, he could be upside down on fuel and the cool factor alone pays for it. :bowdown:

nice !! I checked that forum dealing all about swapping the engine. I'm glad to see alot of discussions on Bio-Diesel. I'm doing a long report on Bio-Diesel and I have already found alot of info about blends. I

I do have a request for pictures on your diesel rig.... Think you could get pictures up of the intercooler and how it mounts???

Thanks for the compliments! Those pics were from 4 days after I got it on the road. The engine bay aint quite that shiny anymore. I think it looks better now with my winch bumper. Its funny someone would mention compound turbos, I am on my fifth turbo setup in 4 weeks. If I can't get what I want out of a single, twins may be the answer. Space will be a problem, exhaust routing being the worst. Ill build and test the system before I make a cowl hood or full exhaust. That way if it doesnt work out, I can turn back easy. That is how I have been swapping turbos, leaving everything intact from the previous setup, just in case. The only pic of the intercooler is during the paint process. The mounts are behind the header panel and run between the upper and lower radiator mount. When I get it back in my shop for the Dana 60's, I will take some better pics while its torn down. In the pic it kinda looks like the upper radiator hose is inline with the exhaust manifold, but its not. The only time I have seen this is in marine applications. They are very easy to spot, huge double walled exhaust manifolds and turbocharger exhaust housings. The hydraboost is from a 94 AWD Chevrolet Astro van, and it works great! The gear driven high volume pump in the engine, the ZJ rear discs and the Durango box can't hurt either.

Yeah those double walled manifolds are really thick and smooth, but that picture looked like coolant went straight into that thing. As for twin's, how much psi you running now?

You could do a remote turbo somewhere down line in the exhaust, or run a blower. A centrifugal type of SC like a Paxton in front of your main turbo. That would give you low end boost and double your turbos output; eliminating lag.

Awesome truck MJ4BTA! Looks and sounds well built. Did you buy the bed for that truck in Tn.? I sold an MJ bed on Ebay to a guy in Penn. that was building an MJ with your exact setup, just wondering if it was you, anyway very cool build, keep us posted.

If you had the body shop with the bright copper 4dr XJ with the explorer wheels, explorer fender flares, three link front suspension, 33" BFG mud's, and the cut back end with the stock fuel tank on top of the rear floor, and we came there in a bright red crew cab Ford Powerstroke, than yes that was me! That was the second longest nonstop road trip in my life. Erie PA to Chattanoga TN in 22 hrs. You never sent me pics of your rig in action at Tellico. Also, did you get your MJ project finished? When I saw it the 8.8 was just being fitted in. I plan on getting down to Tellico this summer, with a few other vehicles, maybe you could show us around.

Bad @$$!

the 4bt, i wonder if that is the same engine CME uses in some of their trailer-mounted core drilling rigs. (i used to do that for a living) if that is the case then you should be able to bold that engine up to a certain ford 4speed transmission. if in fact you can it may make a conversion a little easier.

I wonder also if a small Deutz Diesel could be used?

If you had the body shop with the bright copper 4dr XJ with the explorer wheels, explorer fender flares, three link front suspension, 33" BFG mud's, and the cut back end with the stock fuel tank on top of the rear floor, and we came there in a bright red crew cab Ford Powerstroke, than yes that was me! That was the second longest nonstop road trip in my life. Erie PA to Chattanoga TN in 22 hrs. You never sent me pics of your rig in action at Tellico. Also, did you get your MJ project finished? When I saw it the 8.8 was just being fitted in. I plan on getting down to Tellico this summer, with a few other vehicles, maybe you could show us around.

You've got an excellent memory! The wife was SUPPOSE to have sent you some pics, I'm no computor wiz, Pm me your email addy and I'll get some to you. The MJ project is wheeling and doing well but like all good projects it will never be completely finished, it wheeled Tellico just last weekend. I'm glad to see the bed went to such a nice truck, you know since that was originally my bed I can take some credit for the build :D. Don't go to Tellico without inviting me along, I'd be honored to show you guys around. Glad to see your project turned out so nice!

a1awind, these motors came in ALOT of off highway applications. Ive seen them in small track hoes, Case style bobcats, wood chippers, and large pumps. If anyone is looking, do not get a nonturbo version, 70-80 hp, and the CR ratio is way to high to convert to rurbo, not to mention the completly different injection pump. The only on road application that I know of was the bread vans. Most of them were 6.2 and 6.5 Chevy diesels that were "repowered" with the 4BT's. Like most industrial diesel engines, my trans is not bolted to my block, it has an adapter plate between the two. I know in the step vans, there were at least 4 different bolt patterns, SB Ford, SB Chrysler, GM BPO/Chevy(dual pattern) and the 15deg right tilt Chevy, all availble in standard and automatic versions. I choose the Dodge Cummins version so I could run a drivers side starter, and all the Dodge NV4500 transmission pieces.