Class 3 hitch

It bolts under the frame rail, right where your shackles and springs are....

Maybe you could figure out how to build a mount on the inside of the frame and narrow it as needed.

Anyway you look at it it will require a redesign and fab work.

Yes, there was a "factory" hitch option, the trailer hitch from the XJ will not fit/work on the MJ. The MJ hitch mounts on the outside of the rear "frame" and drops down under the step bumper.

A while back, some one posted about the "new" trailer hitch that some place was listing on e-bay.

Found it -

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6478

Some one up here got one, and I got the 2nd one that they had delivered :D

Yes, there was a "factory" hitch option, the trailer hitch from the XJ will not fit/work on the MJ. The MJ hitch mounts on the outside of the rear "frame" and drops down under the step bumper.

A while back, some one posted about the "new" trailer hitch that some place was listing on e-bay.

Found it -

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6478

Thanks,, I found it and they still have like 92 of them. $129 with free shipping WTH,, ok one more thing to buy!! jamminz.gif

when I just signed up to this site, remember when you said ,,

J - Just

E - Empty

E - Every

P - Pocket

??

That's funny, I ordered one and after ~28 days they told me FedEx sent it to West Valley, New York (I'm in California) and it was lost. I thought they were just covering their a$$e$ so I cancelled the order. Glad to see someone on here may have gotten it!!! :banana:

That's funny, I ordered one and after ~28 days they told me FedEx sent it to West Valley, New York (I'm in California) and it was lost. I thought they were just covering their a$$e$ so I cancelled the order. Glad to see someone on here may have gotten it!!! :banana:

hummm sounds fishy.... I should email them huh..

Found it - http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6478

I posted that originally jamminz.gif . Received it within four days, and the install was a piece of cake, although I had to spread the mounting bars out about 1/2" with a jack to clear the bumper brackets.

I have a factory one with a mint rear step bumper just layin in the barn...waiting for it's debut on a different rig than my 89.

if anyone wants, I can trace the end brackets on construction paper and mail them to you, OR I can just make the end brackets and ship them for somewhere around cost of material plus shipping. you can get any other class 3 from the junkyard that's for a fullsize, and cut the main tube down to fit the MJ brackets then weld them up (have yet to look into it, but I plan on building 3 or 4 sets for our MJ's here and having a pro weld it, should cost around $40-$50 shipped)

n69205416_32257236_5344.jpg

n69205416_32083496_6100.jpg

n69205416_32083494_5688.jpg

n69205416_32086105_2567.jpg

just some pics of the bumper/hitch and how the hitch attatches to the bumper, for reference.

yeah I was thinking of just making one.. I was looking at using some of the pieces from Northern Tool, some square tubing, and plate.

link; http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200336455_200336455

but added all that up including labor it might be better to buy the u-haul one for $129....

For about $70 using a tape, pencil, makita cutoff & buzz box I made this bumper & receiver hitch below.

I made these out of 1/4" plate & bolted them to existing frame holes

Image Not Found

Then welded this 1/4 tube to the brkts

Image Not Found

Then the receiver to the bumper for same GWR as a Draw Tite hitch & don't have to worry about departure angles off-roading.

Image Not Found

I have a factory one with a mint rear step bumper just layin in the barn...waiting for it's debut on a different rig than my 89.

if anyone wants, I can trace the end brackets on construction paper and mail them to you, OR I can just make the end brackets and ship them for somewhere around cost of material plus shipping. you can get any other class 3 from the junkyard that's for a fullsize, and cut the main tube down to fit the MJ brackets then weld them up (have yet to look into it, but I plan on building 3 or 4 sets for our MJ's here and having a pro weld it, should cost around $40-$50 shipped)

n69205416_32257236_5344.jpg

n69205416_32083496_6100.jpg

n69205416_32083494_5688.jpg

n69205416_32086105_2567.jpg

just some pics of the bumper/hitch and how the hitch attatches to the bumper, for reference.

Hey Jeepco Think you could mark me out a template from that hitch?

I'm behind already on stuff for others on the club, gonna get caught up this week but yes, I can. I'll do it on construction paper and an X-acto knive to get it exact, and then fold it up and mail it to you for. pm me your addy etc.

anyone else? remember this is for the stock step bumper, it may need some alteration in distance from frame if you have a HD rear bumper on it (like the diamond plate ones from factory)

I'm behind already on stuff for others on the club, gonna get caught up this week but yes, I can. I'll do it on construction paper and an X-acto knive to get it exact, and then fold it up and mail it to you for. pm me your addy etc.

anyone else? remember this is for the stock step bumper, it may need some alteration in distance from frame if you have a HD rear bumper on it (like the diamond plate ones from factory)

no big rush.. pm'ed :cheers: