Guage cluster

Absoutely. 84-90 have a mechanical speedometer. 91+ have an electric speedo. They do not interchange. 84-86 have a different clip that attaches the speedo cable to the cluster and you'll need the clip off the the donor Jeep so you can put it on an 87-90 speedo cable to make it work.

Then you swap out the coolant temperature and oil pressure switches on the engine for new sensors so those gauges will work. That's it. Be careful when removing the oil pressure sensor, the mounts are fragile and have been known to crack off at the block and cause all sorts of headaches. Don't over tighten the new one either.

Jeep on!

--Pete

I have a similar curiousity... my MJ has the gigantic fuel meter and speedometer... the others are just the warning lights for oil, temp, etc... I really want to put in the cluster I'm used to, that shows the voltage, oil temp, rpm, speedo.. since mine is a 92, I'm assuming any 91+ from a cherokee would work? would it just be like a plug & play sort of thing, or will I have to change wire harness or change/install sensors ?

... since I'm trying to make my interior space.... uuuhh... sanitary and asthetically pleasing hehehe

Sanitary and asthetically pleasing, eh? On some trucks it's overrated. :D

This is my 86's interior. I love keeping it as, uh, whatever-you-wanna-call-it as possible. It's my little piece of redneck in the middle of suburbia. :D

Jeep on!

--Pete

yours is clean compared to what I uncovered under the seat covers and floor mats :lol: I uncovered some interesting odors and summarily gutted it quickly, I can't have friends, family, and expecially the hot girlfriend wondering if the smell coming from me hahahaha

It is "sterile" at least. Nothing rotting or otherwise stinking up the place. I have standards after all. :D It's going to be interesting if I swap in that 4.3L and make it into a winter commuter. At least I'll never have to worry about someone stealing her. :roll:

Jeep on!

--Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I got the bench out and that odor I mentioned before was a bit more noticable.. I peeled back the carpet... just imagine what 2 year old festering beer that's soaked into the carpet might smell like.. OMG I almost got sick... had to snag a mask and gloves.. ripped out all the carpet... busted out the wire wheel sander and removed any remnants of carpet glue and surface rust... sprayed bleech cleaner and lysol all over.. now it's all clean and no smell... I resealed and painted it all up.. looks like it came off the production line :D

I've been waiting nearly 2 weeks for my carpet kit to come it, now when I call the company, they say they are not taking orders and have not returned any of my calls or emails.. now I get to work with my bank to gank my money back out of that company's account since it is not considered a fraudulant charge.. I'll be darned if some jackoff in texas is gonna keep my money and not deliver on the product heh.

I'll post pics of my progress real soon, I've been very pleased so far :)

• 9 months later...

Ok old post but i have a couple of questions i figured i should start a new thread on something thats already been explained. First does the motor make a diffrence like i have a 4 banger and the clusters out of a 4.0 will it work? does anyone know what senders to buy a part numberwould be great? anything else i should know. quick response would be great i am wanting to do this today and want to do it right.

Cole

Ok since i can get that stuff at the parts store i have a question about the Tach. Will it read the correct RPMs or is it to low??? the reason i asked is i got it in and the tach is only reading around 6-700 at idle is this right or is there a way i can fix it if not? Just making sure i don't waist any money or time trouble shooting. Also my Voltage guage isnt working, Is there something i have to hook up on it or change or a connection i can check if so where is it located? Thanks for the input.

Cole

Also if anyone has a part number (Advance or auto zone or OEM) for the Sensors i need i would greatly appreciate it since the guys at the parts store don't know what i am talking about half the time :mad: and they don't understand custom changing out factory parts for different. Thanks agian. :roll:

Cole

Ok since i can get that stuff at the parts store i have a question about the Tach. Will it read the correct RPMs or is it to low??? the reason i asked is i got it in and the tach is only reading around 6-700 at idle is this right or is there a way i can fix it if not? Just making sure i don't waist any money or time trouble shooting. Also my Voltage guage isnt working, Is there something i have to hook up on it or change or a connection i can check if so where is it located? Thanks for the input.

Cole

i just done my swap today.... my tach seems to read correctly but then again i never had a 4cyl with a tach so i don't know. my volt gauge reads perfect my temp gauge works fine my gas gauge seems to work fine. but I'm not sure if my oil presure gauge is working right (don't seem to move at all when i rev it up). maybe someone else thats had there gauges for awhile will post soon :popcorn:

Hopefully they will by the morning i need it ready for the work week :cry: after my vacation i don't want anything else to piss me off besides going back at it. It woulnt be to great to add my broke MJ to the problems that are going to come up this week. But back to the matter at hand...I guess i prolly have a disconnected terminal for the volt guage i just need to know where to look for it. I'm not big with electrical at all. What is your idle RPMS is it around 700 or lower. If you can check for me and get back to me tomorrow or something.

Cole

Also if anyone has a part number (Advance or auto zone or OEM) for the Sensors i need i would greatly appreciate it since the guys at the parts store don't know what i am talking about half the time :mad: and they don't understand custom changing out factory parts for different. Thanks agian. :roll:

Cole

you just need to tell them you need the sending unit (NOT SENSOR) for GAUGES not the light they will probably ask you. these are the parts from advance autoparts

GP Sorensen Temperature Sender/Switch w/Gauge Part No.TSU13 $22.44

GP Sorensen Oil Pressure Switch With Gauge Part No.OPS68 $17.48

the temp sending unit is on the drivers side of the engine way in the back sticking stright up next to the valve cover it should only have 1 wire going to it

the oil sender is to the right of the distributer on the 2.5

Hopefully they will by the morning i need it ready for the work week :cry: after my vacation i don't want anything else to piss me off besides going back at it. It woulnt be to great to add my broke MJ to the problems that are going to come up this week. But back to the matter at hand...I guess i prolly have a disconnected terminal for the volt guage i just need to know where to look for it. I'm not big with electrical at all. What is your idle RPMS is it around 700 or lower. If you can check for me and get back to me tomorrow or something.

Cole

i need to adjust my idle, it idles low but when i give it gas so it runs without sputtering its right around 700-800 thats about right. the gauges were a factory option so i would think everything should read correctly. the 1 thing i wonderd about was if the gas was going to read right because the gastank/sender is the only thing thats not the same as the cherokee. i guess when i fill it up with gas i will find out

just lie and tell them you have a 4.0 and need the sending unit, i do it all the time cause my motor is a swapped in 97. (most of the time its alright though cause it was a 4.0 previously as well.)

twice now my (full cluster factory gauges) have gone completely dead for like a day at a time then randomly come back on. and my radio shuts on and off whenever it wants. could these be related? anyone know what i should check for my gauges shuttin off?

Cole

The tach should read correctly if the donor vehicle had the same engine (4-cyl or 6-cyl) as yours. Idle speed of around 700 to 750 is correct.

What about the voltage guage?? mines not working and i don't know what to check. I got everything else to work so this is all i have left. I think there might be a wire loose but i don't know what wires go where to check and my haynes manual was no help.

Cole

What about the voltage guage?? mines not working and i don't know what to check. I got everything else to work so this is all i have left. I think there might be a wire loose but i don't know what wires go where to check and my haynes manual was no help.

Cole

Start by checking the gauge itself. Pull the cluster, and run test leads from a battery (or a battery charger or any small transformer that puts out 12 to 13 volts direct to the terminals on the gauge. (Don't recall for certain, but I believe they're marked for positive and negative. If not, a quick touch with reverse polarity won't kill it.)

I have my shifter "in the tree," not a floor mounted auto shifter. My gear indicator is in the cluster......I just got a cluster from the junk yard and I just noticed it does not have a shift indicator. Any suggestions?

I am not going to move my shifter to the floors either!!

thanks in advance!

timmyk