FACTORY height & LIFTED height

I would like to see what I have now for lift on the MJ, based of the factory height. I KNOW what I put in, just think the front sagged a bit....

My front measures 20" center of hub to flair and 20.5'' in the rear. Actual height is 35.5'' FRONT and 36'' in the rear.

I KNOW XJ's are 16.5/16-F/R. Not sure on the MJ.

I'm puttin' in about 3" more lift this weekend and would like to have a base line to compair it to.

Image Not Found

Thanks,

CW

well just the other day i measured the distance from the ground to the bottom of the body right under the doors on my 86. i came up with 18 inches. if you want i can measure elsewhere.

SURE, If you could, measure in the same places i have and post up the numbers!!

Thanks.

Any one have the actual factory specs as GIRsMJ86 could also be sagged a bit....these trucks arent getting any younger!!!

CW

Actually, the stock front distance should be 17-1/2" not 16-1/2".

Comanches are very different from Cherokees in the rear because the wheel arches are larger -- both wider and higher. I've measured a bunch of fairly stock Comanches (unfortunately, none new), and the average for the rear is around 20" to 20-1/2". So if you still have the stock flares on and you are measuring 20" center-of-axle to bottom of flare -- you have zero lift in the rear.

Any one have the actual factory specs as GIRsMJ86 could also be sagged a bit....these trucks arent getting any younger!!!

From the factory service notes handbook:

Measure from the top of the axle tube to the underside of the frame rail just inboard of the bump stop. For 4WD models this distance should be 9.2 inches, plus or minus 1/2". (For 2WD models the dimension is 8.2" plus/minus 1/2").

I'm curious on this subject too and i was searchin it the other day... on mine its 30 1/2" from the ground to front fender flare and 33" in the back...

which made me wonder if i can throw on a shackle lift in the rear and 3" coils on the front and run 31's? anyone know? sorry for the hi-jack..

Bumpy,

Absolutely you can!! As a matter of fact, if you look at my first pic, thats what I have!! A set of 3" RUSTYS coils up front and a 1.75 XJ extended shackle in the rear. Sitting on 31" Trexus MT's.

I did my lift yesterday. The front went very smooth. we installed the New shocks, Bar-Pin-Eliminators, R.E. fixed upper and ADJ. lower control arms, then a set of ACOS spacers. Reinstalled the 3" Rustys springs, adjusted the, Lower CA's for proper caster, the Trackbar then the Draglink. I set the ACOS at .5+ lift as you get 1.5"+ just by installing them. So this brought my front to a 5" total lift.

Then we went to the back. I had bought a set of 3" leaf springs, but received XJ springs instead of Mj springs. Then I was informed, no one made a set of MJ springs, sans custom and the best price I couls find was almost $500!! :cry: SO, I decided to throw in the 3" MJ AAL's I had on hand. Everything went well here as well. We cut the U bolts. Then the centering pins and installed the AAL's and new pins, U bolts and lower Ubolt skids. I decided to make my own lower shock mounts and weld them to the tube.

Here is where we ran into the first problem. the AAL did not lift ANYTHING!! SO the lower shock mounts where now too high. Notice the top of the shock in this pic with the tars on the ground.

Image Not Found

So because it was getting late, all we could think to do was to re-instal the factory lower shock mounts and the factory shocks. As a temp fix.

I have decided to bite the bullet and go for a complete spring pack. I found RUSTYS now offers them. I am VERY skeptical of thier products. But I do not believe they make these, hopefully thier vendor is a good one! I ordered them last night!! They are a 4" pack. I really only wanted 3" but with the ACOS I have the ability or adjust to the level I like. I can also swap out the rear shackle to a 3", 5" or a 7.5" shackle to get the height I like.

CW

Bumpy, you can't measure from the ground, because tire size and even tire pressure affect the measurement. You have to measure between the axles and the body. The easiest way, if you still have the stock flares, is to measure from the center of the hubcap (axle centerline) stright up to the bottom edge of the flare. Stock dimension should be 17-1/2" for the front, and about 20" to 20-1/2" for the rear.

And you don't need any lift to run 31s on an MJ if you use factory rims.

I know its an option...but too many negatives associated with the SOA for my tastes.....

Besides, my drivers side leaf sags about an inch more than the pass side, and I was hoping to fix this at the same time.

Eagle,

Yea, I know it will fit 31's with less lift. But you can't wheel it that way, with out sheetmetal damage!! :) Besides, it looks like a truck with a bit more space around the tars!!!

The rustys leafs are on order, I'll be the guinne pig on this one!!

CW

EDIT: Called RUSTYS, springs sre in stock and being shipped Tuesday!!

I got one of my RUSTYS springs today!! I guess they got seperated...hope its NOT LOST its label!!!

I put a tape on it and it measures 53"...that seems short. Anyone know what the factory legnth of the leaf springs should be?

CW

Its taken straight across, mounting hole to mounting hole.

They also came WITH BUSHINGS installed.

Rustys, says that is correct. They acknoledge it is short, but assure me that it is only because of the "free arch" in the spring. They will flatten out as weight is applied and will be correct legnth.

Once I get the other spring, I'll find out for sure. Not a HUGE deal really. I have all new bolts in the springs and anti-sleezed the threads on those. So everything will dis-assemble with ease.

CW

measure the spring itself. from center poin forward, and from center pin rearward. tell us that measurement. In order for a spring to give you lift it has to be longer, that is why re-arching springs only last for a lil while. Plus that also changes pinion angles and moves the tire forward. But get us that measurement.

patrick

The measurements on the RUSTY'S springs are....

From the front bushing to centering pin its, 26.5" and from the centering pin to the shackle end bushing its 31". All measurements are to the center of each hole and the center of the centering bolt.

I for got to measure the factory rear springs today. :oops:

CW

I measured the lift heights I got now that everything has had a chance to settle in.

The front is @ 22.25" Center of the hub to the lip of the flair.

So if stock truly is 17" I have a bit over 5" of lift up front.

The rear is @ 21.50" Center of the hub to the lip of the flair.

If 20" is stock, I got about 1.5" in the rear. BUT thats WITH a 7.5" shackle (5" is stock) AND a +3" AAL!!! Looks like the AAL brought me to stock +.25 and the AAL gave me the 1.25" lift.

I am a bit perplexed as to what the new RUSTYS leaf springs will do. The ACOS is only good for about another 2" and thats MAX. If I go with a factory XJ shackle (3") in place of the extended (7.5), I'll loose 1" from the new springs. BUT if 20" is stock that equils 23" in the rear. Compaired to the 22.25 up front that will be pretty good balance as is. OR I could leave the rear shackles and up the ACSO another inch to inch and a half. OR I could go back to the factory legnth MJ shackle.......I'll have to wait and see, once I get the lost spring....

Patrick,

I have posted the measurements of the spring. I don't know where you where going with the info?

CW