Cheap Shock Mounts/Post up Pic of Your shock mounts 4 rear

Ok as you guys no we all want to upgrade are rear axle to something better than the D35. So I went with the Ford 8.8 and went SOA and I need some thing to mount my shock to the new axle with. Shock mount from different places were 20 to 40 depending on were you go. So the other day I was a Northern Tool in there trailer section they had these 3” axle spring perches with a huge hole in the middle. So I thought at $5.00 bucks a piece I could make these work for shock mounts. So I went and welded a bolt to the spring perches. So for $15 I have some heavy duty shock mounts. The extra $5 was having the weld shop weld the bolt to the perch. The only thing that really needed to be done was the top of the perches needed to be cut down so the shock would not rub.

So what do you guys thing.

It's an economical solution, but less than ideal because the shock is oriented 90-degrees from the way it should be. As your axle moves up and down (or as the chassis moves up and down relative to the axle),, the axle swings through an arc, which is going to impart that same arc to the lower half of your shocks. For small changes the shock bushings may handle it, but for larger displacements, I sort of expect you're going to be bending a lot of shock plunger rods with that setup.

You can kind of see what I did here. Its just a modified XJ mount that I cut off my spare D35.

Works well. With SOA, and stock shocks, it will flex until the leaves become inverted.

here's a flex shot. Un-trimmed, no flares, 34x9.50s. You can see the e-brake cable...it looks like its coming out of the spring perch and going up at 10-11 o-clock. Its VERY tight. I need some bumpstops on this rig badly!

Rockhound- If you want, I can get a better pic tomorrow 8)

While Eagle is correct about the suspention cycling in an arch, its not nearly enough to worry about. Most near stock rear suspentions don't move that much with leaf springs.

As a matter of fact, look at factory XJ lower rear mounts... they are mounted in this orientation. :roll:

Yours a nice and beefy. The only problem I saw you took care of, the contact with the shock body. You ground away material to make room. jamminz.gif

Here is what I use for lower mounts:

I just made up a set for Mitch.

The axle moves one side up or down much more often and at a greator degree than the arch of movement front to back. Another example is the front shocks. They to have this same orentation. my front moves almost 12" so the arch of movement is mucg greator than the rear and they're no ill effects.

CW

It occurred to me after I had posted that the XJ lower mounts are set up the same way. I guess run it that way and see how it works. If it becomes a problem, you'll have an idea where to start trouble-shooting.

what i thougth i would run this set up for a while then i am going to copy CW with the angle.

On that note how do you no where to drill/put the top of the shocks at on the angle.

Thanks for your guys input and i am going to go as close to 90 as eagle has suggest and then later when i add the angle it will be all set to go.

Thanks Guys

the setup is pretty flawless there.

only thing I would do is rebuild the upper mounts on a welded in crossmember and triangulate the shocks there...angle them in towards the center on the top, and outwards on the bottom, with the eyes facing the same way (forward/back). that would allow for flawless movement of the shocks and a good swing through the "arc" that Eagle was depicting.