project tatersalad -- decision is...SCRAP IT!

haha, here's my 86 mj. 2.8 v6, ax5 tranny. tan interior with bench seat.

the PO lifted it with 7 or 8" with stock springs and control arms, just homemade lower spacers.

the rust is terrible.

when I got it it had Rusty's 4.5" springs and rear shackles that added up to 8.5 inches of lift. the springs were shot, and there were no rear brakes (no lines)

I replaced the rear end, springs, and shackles with one from another manche that was SOA i got from the junkyard. now i just gotta get a beefed up rear end and some brakes on the rear.

i don't know the specs on the SOA but i think the perches are too short..i'm worried about axle wrap.

this came with it too...for sale lemme know it's like new

i have perfect cab corners and rockers that i cut off a parts shortbed truck i had. so that's not a problem. and the floor will either be replaced with some sheet metal. this is a wheeling truck so it don't have to be pretty :D

alright, so here's my plans;

bolt in a 3.4 camaro engine WITH the mpfi

tranny drop kit

beef up the rear end with a d44 or a ford 8.8 with 4.10's

4.10 d30 front (unless i find a bronco dana 44)

new UCA's and LCA's

6.5" front springs

beefed up steering

new track bar

new floors

do something with the bed...whether it be cut off the rust and rivet on some sheet metal or go bedless

and 33x10.50 tires...up to 35's if i can find them.

do something with the bed...whether it be cut off the rust and rivet on some sheet metal or go bedless

and 33x10.50 tires...up to 35's if i can find them.

If/when I ever decide to flatbed mine (I do still use it as a pickup truck currently :driving: ), this is what I'll be doing:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3890

I've seen a handful of flatbedded MJ's, but that's the best one I've come across IMHO.

Jeff

I have a friend who has a dodge flatbed bed from a dakota. covers the whole thing, and it's got dump action..or had anyways, when I say flatbed, I mean a flatbed as in a tracter dealership type. one that looks factory or professional...I like the clean cut look.

that one's pretty good though, but i want mine to go from cab to rear, and cover the tires as well.

oh, the first picture of it on the trailer is it sitting on 31x10.50 tires with the SOA rear end in it, no rear brakes, stock upper and lower control arms, and stock front and rear ends. it could fit a hella lot more in it when it comes to rubber. now i gotta get a beefier rear end for the thing, hook up rear brakes, new front control arms, track bar, and steering components. new brakes up front and some new tires (those ones are gone...mysteriously?)

• 3 weeks later...

it's for sale. comes with the gold rims and old tires that are on it, rear brakes not connected, 4wd works. needs floors and bedsides or cut off the junk rust. I have a title and vin (off another truck) that goes with it, as I don't have the title for this truck...it was originally a parts truck.

200 bucks. I'm keeping the front bumper, a stock one goes with it.

lol, Jared where are you located?

I think that Fiscus may end up with it in a deal we have going, but we have to finalise it.

The deal is final as far as I'm concerned, as long as you're still coming down to get the XJ I have for sale. If towing it here will raise your gas costs getting here I'll knock some off for that too. I will be very happy to have a 4wd MJ. (a rusty one even)

Next Saturday or Sunday would be great for me, just let me know & I'll be here.

• 2 weeks later...

well, i fell through with fiscus...deal went south on my end of things.

so my 87 sport is gonna be leaving once it's ready to go. and this is staying.

i'm contemplating parting the drivetrain of the truck, then cutting off the spring and CA perches to level the frame to flat, finding a junk j10, and putting this on the j10 frame. i have access to a 6.5 chevy diesel from a g-van, and i can get a j10 frame, complete with axles and drivshafts, from the JY i go to for cheap. box and reinforce the frame...put the MJ on it, install the 5.2, find a 5 speed 4wd tranny for it, and drop it all in.

but that's just contemplation...i'd need to get everything together and that takes money. it'd be a pretty sweet wheeling and towing rig though...with some pretty decent gas mileage to boot.

so Screw the whole project...I am SCRAPPING IT.

I will yank the drivetrain and probably scrap the engine minus some parts for a 3.4 swap for beaterjeep's 86.

i'll keep the axles but the springs are gonna be torched. gutting the interior, keeping the bed, keeping the doors and split rear, and the hood, fenders, and header panel and front bumper.

this will be a complete scrapping...it'll go off to a friend who owns a wrecking company/scrapping business.

I'll have a complete tranny/driveshafts/4x4 shift assembly for a 2.8 or 2.5 4x4 conversion available soon. the front axle stays, mine's bent. rear axle has blown spiders but good 3.55 gears, which may end up in my bro's truck to improve upon his 3.07's (i'm 3.73-ing the front end).

no more tatersalad. he's crap. oh, i'll plasma off the roof and rear of the cab while I'm at it...in case I do a cheromanche sometime in the future.

only thing that will be left in it is the wiring...as that's shot.

the part that's going to the jy is the frame from the middle of the cab forward...i'm keeping half the roof and the back of cab and box. and the front end will be shelled out as well

• 3 months later...

I still have this. anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with it? the body is less than good...it's straight, but rusty. floors are non-existant.

it's powered by a 2.8 and an ax15, and has a homebrew hick lift kit. no rear brakes, bald tires, front right coil spring mount on the axle is broken, turdy-5 rear with bad spiders, 3.55 gears.

half the interior is gone, and most of the wiring is bad...

it is either for sale, OR it needs to be chopped up, made into a trailer, and have the back half of the cab cut off and saved for a cheromanche/extended cab comanche project.

all the frame is there and solid tho...and it's a longbed. maybe it's a good base for a extended cab project?

haha, not lookin to spend any $$$ on anything else right now.

just found out I'm back in school for the fall semester! unfortunately, that leaves me completely broke and now I have even less $$$ than before to get the 89 done.

BUT I may be getting a cherokee chassis for $125 that has a good title but smashed front end.

there is no rust on it, so I'm thinking of a 4 door comanche right now...since I'd be able to replace all the bad stuff on tatersalad with this chassis, and then title it as a cherokee.

5.5 foot bed anyone?