Front AND Rear Bumper Pics

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Image Not Found

Yeah, it's an XJ. And it needs a little work. Yes, I managed to rip one of the ears off of it... :roll: Otherwise it wasn't a bad idea.

You've got the dead giveaway for a :Canadaflag: .

Block heater plug. ;)

I've got one on my MJ. Nothing like a nice toasty warm engine on start-up on a 5 degree morning.

I used 4" wide, 1/4" thick bar stock for all my bumper mounts with a bend to mate to the bumper. This pic was taken before I added the 3/4" bolt in that forward-most hole. I used part of the stock bracket to make the spacer to clear the shackle plate.

This is my front bumper being mocked up. All the final welding was done by a pro.

I made mine out of 5x2" 3/16 Tube. Boxed the ends with 1/4" plate, the safety chain plate is also 1/4".

Image Not Found

When I tried to remove the old bumper ALL of the mounting bolts snapped off inside the uniframe. So while I had the bed off I drilled out the spot welds that held the nut plate in and made new ones out of 3" wide 1/8" plate. And used 1/2" grade 8 bolts now my rear bumpers metric free :D

Image Not Found

All grade 8 bolts, some bigger than others. :D

So pete you removed the little triangle piece that connects to the fender. I was unsure if this would hurt it cause i had the sawzall on it and decided to wait for some pics.

BTW i am making mine out of 5/16 X 5" channel and using short pieces of it for mounts along with some 3" of the same thickness. So far its been a pain cause it acctually structural Hot roll steel so the sides are thicker in the corner (like close to 1/2") :eek: so I'm haveing to grind corners and fill in gaps and make gussets so i feel its strong enough.

Cole

I originally was gonna do something similar with 5" channel, but I think I'm gonna go more like a pre-runner style now. Just depends on if I get a bender or not. 8)

I bought a JD2 model 3 bender i herd alot of good things about them. I never bought any dies for it cause there kind of expensive. the bender itself is only $300. it will bend up to 2" tube. www.JD2.com

here's a pic of my bumper I made not to long ago. Its made of C-channel with the ends boxed end. Its mounted with stock brackets that are reinforced to the bumper.

here's a pic of my dads rear bumper on his XJ he made........

Egg

I bought a JD2 model 3 bender i herd alot of good things about them. I never bought any dies for it cause there kind of expensive. the bender itself is only $300. it will bend up to 2" tube. www.JD2.com

I'm wanting to try one TSC has that's similar, it's only around $85. A friend of mines wants one, maybe I can talk him into buying it and just using his. :D 8)

I'm wanting to try one TSC has that's similar, it's only around $85. A friend of mines wants one, maybe I can talk him into buying it and just using his. :D 8)

Thats what iam waiting on :cheers: yeahthat.gif I love haveing friends that like to Fab

Cole

Thats what iam waiting on :cheers: yeahthat.gif I love haveing friends that like to Fab

Cole

well i have a whole shop. with welders of every kind, plasma cutter, all the little hand tools, and benders plus metal band saws. not to rub anything in or anything like that :D . but if you guys were closer you could come use it but it won't help you that much since you guys are so far away.

Alex