curisoity is going to kill the comanche...

just throw a 350 in and be money and power ahead.

And how exactly do you "throw" a 350 in there? :dunno:

Bolt-in adapters are expensive, creating your own is complicated, stock MJ parts are not truly capable of being reliable when wedged beween a 350 and big tires, and the cooling can be an absolute nightmare.

What? Never heard of hardcore redneck engine swaps? You just need a whole new drivetran, and you put the bloody radiator in the back. Jeep stock stuff is crap anyways. And you can sell it and pick up a parts chevy and still be money ahead.

Okay, maybe a 4.3 (V6) would be a better choice regarding fittament. You could still run a radiator in the front with one. I know they aren't exactly powerhouses, but aftermarket parts are cheap for them.

Strokers just kinda hit me as not being worthwhile. I know of enough YJ/CJ/TJs that are running 350s to convince me that it wouldn't be that hard. You might have to hack up the unibody a bit. But I'm never opposed to that.

Actually, I don't care what you do as long as you run propane.

A stroker isn't much more expensive than a regular rebuild. There are guys out there that have spent an absolute fortune on them, but others have done it for reasonable costs. It bolts right in and you can retain the A/C, wiring, and drivetrain (depending on which drivetrain you have of course).

Find out how much a 350 swap into an MJ/XJ costs before you compare it to a stroker. Plus, it is easier to swap a 350 into a shortwheelbase Jeeps than into ours.

I've seen whole cherokees just bolted on top of full size frames, engine, drivetrain and all. I thought doing that with a manche cab would be possible... maybe use the frame and stuff from from a JKL?

But seriously, try running a 2.5L for a few years, then when you switch back to the 4.0 you'll think you've died and gone to HP heaven. That's my plan anyway :).

I wouldn't put another frame under it. I'd cut the cab off and build a real frame.... or Tube the whole thing.

I'll show you pictures of kraqa's ZJ if you want to know what I mean. It still has the unibody in there somewhere. Well, some of it.

I wouldn't put another frame under it. I'd cut the cab off and build a real frame.... or Tube the whole thing.

I'll show you pictures of kraqa's ZJ if you want to know what I mean. It still has the unibody in there somewhere. Well, some of it.

I like it.. I almost thought Pong had a twin for a second :D Anyway I need more pics of that rig, and what his setup auctually is.

Back on to the motor swap thing.A v-8, or a V-6 would almost be easier then putting the stock motor back. Like has all ready been told get a dodoge drivel line, one that uses the hd 231,or the 242, and swap all of that over. Or you could do it likt I am going ot.... Get a running s-10, and gut it out to swap enger, ecu, tcm, and just make it run like heell.

What are the benifits or running propane and is the swap difficult to do?? do you lose HP compared to the 87 octane?? I know the fork lifts at work really suck for driving power...that's theonly experience I have with propane engines

Pat, his buildup is here http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3697

IIRC, he's running a HPD60 front, D70 rear, 38s, 4-linked 1/4 elliptical rear, radius arm front, SBC 350 (On propane) and a lot of other jazz that I don't remember.

Anyways, as far as propane goes, I flog it only because it's avaliable cheap here. And it actually is avaliable, all the major gas stations sell it. As long as you run a higher CR and slightly different cam (longer exhaust duration) you'd never know you were running propane. However, it's bloody simple in comparsion with FI, gets pretty good milage (saves money here) and has true all angle operation, and a lot less moving/breakable parts. Not to mention you can plug your BBQ into it once you make camp...

Oh, propane works well for budget strokers that have a high CR. Sure as hell beats running premium at least.

I was looking at building the 4.5 stroker, though you could run it on regular???

I have a 4.2L carbed, that I bought off of my gf's dad for $10, its out of a yj. THat's why I was htinking stroker. I'm priced at $20 per cylinder to get the boring done 30 over, and found adecent priceon some pistons. other then the cam, anyone know off hand what else I will have to change for sure? New Rods? New head? Head work done? valve springs?

I can't comment on the whole stroker thing other than to refer you to Dino (Dr. Dyno). He's the "guru" of stroking a 4.0L. Have you seen the strokers group on Yahoo?

Good luck!

Jeff

I'd went with the AP stroker and not complained one bit if i had to do it again i would. the injectors are something of interest what i have came from a zj5.9l jamminz.gif as for the chevy thing it would be costly with lots of changes :eek: when its really not needed. the power /torque is very good in my engine. I have a 4.6l and when the budget is right i'll get some air :cheers: vice the stock hight. if you got a steal like on the 4.7l i might try that other wise stroker is the way i would go and do it again :banana:

it does seem to be very difficult to do. I have all the parts, just confused on whether or not to use a regular 4.0 or the HO engine. I have both, but the HO runs extrememly well so I would like to keep running that until the stroker is built...

Some of this stuff seems kind of intimidating though, especially since I've only ever rebuilt a couple engines using all stock replacemtn parts, never really upgraded one except for exhaust. I should probably just follow there directions strictly for the 4.6 when I do it. Definately staying with gas though, I've talked to a few people who are running propane here and they hate it with a passion