Rustys Throttle Body Spacer

Ive never looked into the whole lift, 4wd thing,, but from what I read on here,, Ill never get anything from Rusty's...

+ I don't see what a spacer is ever going to do to help,, cold air intake, yes,, but not raising the TB.

:smart: raising the throttle body increases air speed as it enters the manifold which should increase horsepower. the only real difference is if you were to do a whole bunch of stuff at once. ex: cold air+exhaust+spacer+tuning

yeahthat.gif I have one on mine with a Rusty's intake tube but it came with the jeep when I bought it. Like said it is the last thing to add but but better to add with a oversized throttle body. But until then invest in a good cold air intake for your best hp gain for the buck.

:yeah that: I have one on mine with a Rusty's intake tube but it came with the jeep when I bought it. Like said it is the last thing to add but but better to add with a over-sized throttle body. But until then invest in a good cold air intake for your best hp gain for the buck.

Your on to part of it Mini. :cheers: But you need to remember what you suck in has to get back out. If you are going to increase the volume of air going in you need to have a way to equality get it out the other side. What I am saying is the entire intake and exhaust needs to be considered to achieve best results.

From the top down, Larger TB, increased plenum (Spacer), more aggressive Cam shaft to allow longer opening and closing of the valves to accept the extra air/fuel mixture, Then a larger, free flowing exhaust manifold/Header, catalytic converter and free flowing exhaust.

You can get certainly away with some of those things and get smaller increases, but you should take from both ends of the engine. IE, go with the spacer, but also do a better muffler. Then maybe get the bigger TB and compliment it with FF cat and exhaust header. THEN, dive into the motor and swap in the cam and lifters. Some of these are tough with the older renix systems.

Exhausts on many vehicles work wonderfully alone because most are quite restrictive form the factory. On the other hand, most factory fuel injection sys/TB's are not as bad. Once a better air box is in place. :roll: :D Hence the popularity of open element air filters. Just protect it or stay out of mud and deep water. If your thinking, "just add a snorkel." You just likely made it even more restrictive than the fact air box ever was!!! Its all a give and take kinda thing. :cheers:

CW

My $0.02 worth on TBS'...

The idea behind a TBS is to swirl the air thereby somehow making a more dense charge in the combustion chamber. I do know, that if you make a more dense air charge in the combustion chamber, you will have more oxygen in the chamber, therefore making a bigger boom (= more power). What I do not know is, how swirling air can make it more dense as they advertise...

If the fuel is injected at the lower intake near the cylinder head, what exactly is the TBS combining with air in order to make this "super atomizing mixture"? If it is beneficial to "spiral" the air at the throttle body; than how is that "spiral" maintained once the air hits intake manifold and has to be distributed (we're not running multi-throttle bodies are we?)? If air velocity is good (as in forced induction through supercharger) like has been proven in 1800BC; than how can reducing air velocity be good?

I personally think that the spacer would have to be about 20 inches long in order to have a swirling effect on the entering air. I think it could possibly produce a "tumbling" effect caused by the low pressure area on the backside of each machined "swirl". But once again; how is this good? Why do we polish intake manifolds and heads to get it as smooth as possible to increase flow? And a raised "swirl" is doing what? Does it work? Not from my dyno experience. Ok MAYBE on a highly modded engine, but not on your stock 4.0L.

They look like they might make good cupholders though, for what its worth. Expensive; but the helix core design would probably keep the cup from falling out easily. Maybe they should add that to their advertising campaigns...

If your looking for gains, the best option is to do a bored throttle body. Next would be to upgrade to a 99-01 intake manifold.

I don't know about all the technical stuff, but my TJ had a spacer on when I bought it. Just out of curiosity I removed it & I couldn't believe the difference. The 2.5 lost a noticeable amount of pull at hiway speed. I also tried a 4.0 throttle body on it. Gained a bunch on top but lost torque on the low end. Best I found was the stock TB with the TBS installed. BTW, I had a cold air intake & Magnaflow exhaust.