Replacing the Interior Lights -- (How I did it)

OK...after looking around for a few weeks, I came across these lights in an Advance Auto Parts store. They are made by Optronics, but I have not found them on their site...only at Advance. The package it came in looks like this.

You will need to remove the clear cover and drill new mounting holes as the ones provided will not work.

You will also need to modify the hole in the B-Pillar panel to allow the fixture to move up slightly to be able to put the screws in.

I used a dremel bit in my drill, basically a 1/2" round piece of sand paper, to make the modification needed.

Then you simply put some male spade connectors on the ends of the wires on the new light fixture and plug them in to the apprpriate connectors on the wiring harness in the Jeep. The red wire is the hot and the black with white stripe is the ground.

Then you hold the new fixture up in place, drill the needed holes for the mounting screws and put them in place... :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work, that looks to be a clean install.

Do they only turn on and off with the door?

Thank you... I am happy wit hthe way they look 8) .

Yes...they work just as if they were meant to be there...both come on with either door just as designed ;) .

They are a little bigger than the others as you can see how they slightly cover the little round screw cover above them, but that is no big deal to me. I guess in hind site, I could have dremeled the bottom of hte original hole and moved it down just a little instead of up.

• 10 months later...

I did this same thing last summer!! Same lights same positions. GREAT FIND!~!~

They are OK as far as briteness, not great but better than the stock ones that works occasionally...

Another GREAT MOD, if you don't have them is the XJ kick panel lights. The wiring for them is already in your truck, just get the lights and plug them in!!!

CW

why didn't they come like that from the factory?

Dunno, but the pigatils for the lights are there, as are the little holes in the dash to screw the brackets thru. Just go find an XJ in the boneyard with them and snag them (don't forget the little brackets). Also, if you want, there is a light for the ashtray (it's blue), and the pigtail for it is tucked up under also. Grab that light also.....it's Plug and play.

Like CW said, those kickpanel lights REALLY make a difference.

Jeff

n69205416_32696567_8748.jpg

n69205416_32701037_9793.jpg

you can see how much they actually do light up. the bulbs are the same as your corner marker bulbs and gauge bulbs.

you'll need to get the lights and harness from 1989 and earlier if your truck is earlier than 89, or 1990 to 1994 if your truck is a 90 through 92. the harness is different.

I have a spare set from 1990 if anyone wants them[/img]