how to: install a factory transfercase skidplate

Finally got around to adding the TC skidplate under the MJ yesterday. Here's a basic rundown of how to do it for anyone that's interested. The whole install took about an hour working by myself, and about three beers :D

New crossmember and skidplate ($12 from the pick-n-pull, cleaned up and painted):

(upside down):

Image Not Found

(as installed):

Image Not Found

Support the driveline and remove old crossmember. Pay attention to how it was oriented so you can install the new one the same way:

Image Not Found

Old vs. new, they are identical:

Image Not Found

Except the new one has well nuts already installed in it to attach the front end of the skidplate:

Image Not Found

Install the new crossmember the same as the old (they are NOT symmetrical), tighten it up, and remove the jack:

Image Not Found

Once it’s in place, move onto the skidplate. The hole for the frame end of the skid is already in the framerail…it’s ½” (pay no attention to the snapped off crossmember stud....I've got one broken one on each side I need to drill out and retap, maybe today :oops: ):

Image Not Found

Install a nutsert (1/2” OD) into the hole, using the tool:

Image Not Found

This is how the nutsert goes on the tool:

Image Not Found

I had to slightly enlarge the hole in the frame to insert the nutsert. Don’t make it too big….just large enough to be able to pound the nutsert into it:

Image Not Found

Thread the tip of the tool into the nutsert and squeeze the tool to compress it, just like using a rivet gun. This sounds easier than it really is….I couldn’t get the oooompff needed, so I used some mechanical advantage :brows: :

Image Not Found

Once the nutsert collapses, remove the tool. Now you can thread a bolt into it:

Image Not Found

Add copious amounts of anti-seize to the skidplate bolts, and hang the skid. Congratulations, you now have a factory trasfercase skidplate under your rig :cheers: :

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

You inspired me man!!

I got one of my spare cross members out and had my way with it using my angle grinder and a wire wheel!!

Its all nice and clean. I painted the back side and now need to bend up a piece of poop pipe and weld it on for a T-case skid!!

CW

You inspired me man!!

CW

Inspiration comes from many sources....I just so happen to be currently broke :D and I needed something to do this weekend that didn't cost anything. It was either the skidplate or install the bucket seats I've had stashed under the house for the last 6 months, and the skid won out.

Make sure you post up some pics of what you're doin' CW, your work is top notch stuff!

Jeff

Thanks for the compliment!!

I need to bend a piece of pipe and cut to correct legnth...

Can you give me a measurement? My MJ is at the DR getting new gears so I cannot measure it.. LMK the distace from the dottom edge of the X member to the drain plug in the T-case. Not the piece where the spot welds are. But rather where the nice 90 degree bend is that is the very bottom of the X member.

All I have so far is a cleaned up XJ X member with a coat of paint on one side.

More soon...

CW

Wasn’t exactly sure just what measurement you needed, so I took a couple of them, with pics. LMK if what you needed isn’t what I got, and I’ll go remeasure for ya ;)

Jeff

Back of TC to the bottom of the bend in the Xmember, 5 ½”:

Image Not Found

Same shot, but from the front of the TC @ the fill plug, 8”:

Image Not Found

Bottom of TC to the bottom of the trans Xmember, 2":

Image Not Found

Same shot, but to the bottom of the TC skidplate where it bends, 3”:

Image Not Found

Bottom of tranny Xmember to the top of the TC skid @ bend, 2 ½”:

Image Not Found

General shot from behind the tranny/TC:

Image Not Found

Another one:

Image Not Found

I personally prefer using the weld nuts.... hold a lil better and you can alway upgrade the size of the bolt that way.. I prefer using 1/2 for all stuff like that.... less cahance of breaking, you saw what my l;ast x-memeber and t-case skid looked like :eek:

CW if memory serves me correctly that measure ment is like 34" give or take a 1/2..... I would still double check though

you saw what my l;ast x-memeber and t-case skid looked like :eek:

That's why I have no hesitation to use a factory TC skid....if somebody like you can pretzel it like you did, and it still keeps your junk safe...I'm sold on it :D

BTW....where da 'ell you getting 34" at? driveshaft?? :dunno:

Jeff

The 8inch memsurement is EXACTLY what I wanted!! That and the second to last pic is great as well!!!

What I am thinking is to take a piece of 1" tubing and bend it in a "U". Cut it to like 9" and weld it to the X member so it is under the Tcase where it protrudes reward. Then weld a piece of steel inside that "U" from the bottom.

I'll be sure to post up pics and measurements so others can do the same if they want to...

CW

Well, you could reuse your 2WD tranny, but you have to tear it completely apart and add the 4WD extension housing in place of the 2WD rear housing it has on it now. And, at least for the AX (4, 5, 15) you have to swap out the rear output shaft also....the 4WD shaft is shorter and has the correct spline count to engage the TC input.

It's a whole lot simpler to just swap entire units out.

Jeff

the think I'm looking at is, why would i want a 2wd tranny? i don't think i could resell it, and the life of it would be much greater then any used cherokee i am going to get.....dpendig on how complicated it is, i might give it a try. both trans would be out of the vehicle so i don't think i would have to worry about loosing aqnything. hopefully it owuld be a take off and put back in type thing

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving an old DIY thread...

Hey Jeff... I'm getting ready to try to get my TCase Skid mounted this since I got everything yanked to replace the Tranny mount anyhow.

If I have a crossmember that DOES NOT have the nuts inside where the Skid attaches, do you have any suggestions. I have an extra Nutsert from another project that I'll be able to use on the frame side.

It looks like I can't mount the TCase Skid until the Crossmemeber is back up there (otherwise it blocks the holes to access the Tranny Mount).

I'm painting the Crossmember now, so I wanted to try to get this done this weekend if possible.

Thanks

Wade

well, the holes are there at least so you know where the bolts go :D Nutserts would work, or you could probably fish a couple of nuts and washers up inside there thru one of the tranny mount holes. Get the skid mounted to the crossmember while on the bench, then install it all under the tranny and install the bolt in the framerail.

Jeff

well, the holes are there at least so you know where the bolts go :D Nutserts would work, or you could probably fish a couple of nuts and washers up inside there thru one of the tranny mount holes. Get the skid mounted to the crossmember while on the bench, then install it all under the tranny and install the bolt in the framerail.

Jeff

Can you get to the Tranny Mount nut holes in the crossmember with the skid attached?

I got the crossmember hanging outside drying from the fresh paint job, so I can't really see it all together until tomorrow when everything is dry.