Changing a headliner (lots of pictures)

OK, here's the build. let me know if you need anymore info after this :thumbsup:

First off, the tools: torx sockets, screwdrivers (all sizes, a little nubby one is a necesity, and a ratching one helps) ratchets, and extensions. Oh and a used mcdonalds cup to keep all your parts in :yes:

First take off the A pillars (i believe thats what their called?). you need a philips head and some expert fenangling to get this off. don't try to actually pull the whole thing off, just get the top all loose (two philips screws by the windshield and two pop outs above the door) and let it hang out of the way. the passenger side is less fenangling but has an oh crap handle in the way and no pup outs above the door, the oh crap handle holds it on.

To take the oh crap handle off GENTLY (and i mean it this time :thumbsup: ) pull the wings off and let them hang. don't just pull the wing off as it will break into two pieces and you will have to glue it together... not that i did that or anything... :fs1: :wall: then use a small torx to get it out

Then get your visors off. The driver side one comes right off as does the middle piece that holds them both in in the middle. the passenger side one (atleast my passenger side one) had a vanity mirror and thus wiring issues.

To get the passenger side one off get behind the A pillar and find the plugs:

Then unplug them and pull the wires on out:

You may want to go ahead and take the rearview off too. its just one philips screw

Next you want to start on the back B pillars. The first step is to get the seat belts off. use a torx and a ratchet to get them off. they are pretty stout so be prepared to use some elbow grease. BE CAREFULL! the ratchet will want to hit your back glass like in the picture. I didnt break mine but realized i could have.

To get the b pillar pannel off you will need to take off the back pannel. its just alot of pop outs. be gentle and pry them on out. there are also clips holding the carpeted section to it. it can bow in the middle and let you just pull right on out of the sides, unless you have a center console :dunno: ive never had one :(

once it gets all loose it still won't come all the way out, so just set it behind the seats. oh and the dome lights just unplug, no problems there.

Once these pillars are off on both sides you have one more thing holding you from pulling out the headliner, the little metal clips above the doors. they do come off. if you feel up behind them there is a clip holding them on. slip a flathead screwdriver up behind it and make a gap then the clip will come out. i didnt know this so i just bent them. worked fine they just bent right back :banana:

once those come out the headliner wil basically fall out on your head. there is velcro holding them on, but by now the headlienr had come apart at the velcro and the velcro stayed on the ceiling instead of with the headliner.

find rat nets in your headliner, thats an important step :ack:

oh and this thing. looks factory :dunno: anybody know what it is?

work the headliner out of the cab (no problem)

I had to dry the moldy spot on my headliner up, so i used this baby

the heat gun also came in great handy for the velcro problem. I just used the gun to remelt the old glue and stick the velcro to it. worked great :thumbsup:

now you need material to make a headliner. I had this GORGOUS :ack: naugahide laying around from before i was born. I'm broke, its good stuff, so i decided to use it. I figured itd be ok if the inside of my truck looked like maddona designed it :banana:

But i got some naugahide dye at O'reileys and turned awefull silver into grey :yes: :yes: so i turned that into this:

With these:

It is a frantic situation to get the cloth on the headliner so i couldnt take in progress pictures, but i can explain well enough. Spray the super 77 on the cloth and the headliner.only do about half of it at a time so you can manage it all. make sure you spray BOTH of them. let them sit for about a minute (until both of them feel tacky). then start from the middle of the headliner and smoothe out it to the edges from the middle out. once you get to the corners you may need to cut them a little but thats no problem. repeat that until the headliner is on. I ironed my naugahide before i put it on the headliner, but it had been folded for 20 years, so if you don't need to iron it, don't. as for the dye , its just like painting metal, only on naugahide. paint the naugahide after you put it on the headliner, otherwise you may mess up the finish.

then just reinstall it. for directions on that, just scroll back up, and turn everything right instead of left :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Mine ended up looking like this:

I'm very satisfied :yes: :yes: :D :D jamminz.gifjamminz.gif :brows: :brows: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :banana: :banana: :banana: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotf: :rotf: oh and the final step is spray ten gallons of febreez in your truck to get the glue smell out :thumbsup: if you have any questions at all i'll be glad to help :thumbsup: btw the total for this project was about 20 bucks :thumbsup:

UPDATE: don't use a ton of febreeze. two days in a row, the truck still smelled like glue. instead use cofee :idea: just ground up coffee beans and sprinkle them all over your interior. my truck smelled better immediately and still does :D i'll vaccuum it in a couple days to see how much it actually helped

I wouldnt recommend using super 77 for headliner adhesive,3m makes adhesive for headliners (Part #08090) it cost twice as much but will hold alot longer.

i don't remember for sure but i think the super77 says its not suitable for headliners on the can.

ive been meaning to do this for a while but never seem to get around to doing it... guess I'm headed to the fabric store for some zebra stripes :yes:

If you look around alot of fabric shops sell actual headliner material it was about $20 for enough to do mine

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldnt recommend using super 77 for headliner adhesive,3m makes adhesive for headliners (Part #08090) it cost twice as much but will hold alot longer.

i don't remember for sure but i think the super77 says its not suitable for headliners on the can.

that stuff is basically the same stuff as super 77, and super 77 says its good for headliners on the can. you just have to make sure you use it right. don't just spray it on there and stick the fabric to it, spray it on the headliner, and on the back of the fabric, then let it sit for about a minute until its "tacky" to touch, then stick them together :thumbsup:

not even close to the same,8090 is heavy duty, heat resistant adhesive and super 77 is craft glue

3M™ Super 77™ Multipurpose Adhesive

3M™ Super 77™ Multipurpose Adhesive is an extremely versatile, fast-drying adhesive that bonds a wide range of lightweight materials. Its fast, aggressive tack and low soak-in make it ideal for projects all around your home or business. It forms strong bonds with everything from paper, cardboard, fabric and cushion foam to plastic, metal, wood and much more.

If you can think it up, 3M™ Super 77™ Multipurpose Adhesive can probably glue it down.

Common Uses:

* General decorating and crafts, including wreaths, silk flower arrangements, models and many other projects

* Home improvement and repair projects

* Attaching fiberglass insulation and drywall corner beads

* Bonding thin films, foils and fabrics

* Scrapbooking, picture framing and mounting presentations (photo safe)

3M™ Yellow Super Trim Adhesive 08090, 19 oz Net Wt

Aerosol contact adhesive designed for bonding vinyl tops, heavyweight liners and hood silencer pads where high strength and heat resistance are needed.

Features and Benefits:

* Fast-acting, high-strength, aerosol contact adhesive

* Resistant to heat and plasticizing oils

* Exellent for attaching vinyl, insulation, foam, padding and rubber parts to metal and other surfaces

They say different things on the can, but they look the same, work the same, and feel the same. If you want to use it you can, but my headliner is doing great and it has been hot, especially sence my truck is black. Use what you want though i won't argue about it. I just hope mine stays :yes:

• 1 month later...

funny coincedence- i don't ususally look in this part of the forum ( don't know why, - i should be more often) but just last night i was doing my headliner. didnt quite get it finished and it was getting late, so i figured id do the last bit of the edges today. went and sat at comp and this was the first post in line in this forum. i used the 3m-90 stuff as it was recommended by the upholstery place.

i used black vinyl and its looking good , but i do wish i had used some thinner stuff. they had the nice, thinner perferated stuff there but not quite enough of it so i just went with this. i have the feeling the other material would lay better in the back corners but i didnt want to wait for them to get it in. the other mistake i made was trimming it a bit to close along the front edge, but i think with some clamping it will still work out ok. will post pics somewhere if it turns out .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just about to do mine

what did you take to make the letters?? cardboard

I used some white foam board from the dollar tree but you could use all kinds of stuff. just make sure whatever you use wount be hurt by the adhesive.

• 3 weeks later...

its a great time to wire almost anything lol :D you end up taking out so much stuff you could just take out the seats and belts and you would have it stripped :yes: (besides the dash) and if you do decide to take out the carpet while your at it you already have the tools right next to you. :thumbsup: