Vacuum Reservoir Relocation

Here's a simple one - even a Caveman can do it. biggrin.png

After I developed leaks for the second time with the vacuum lines going through the front bulkhead under the battery to the football vacuum reservoir behind the right front bumper, I decided to junk it and move the reservoir into the engine compartment where it belongs. I picked up a canister from a Porsche 944 that looked like it would work for $2, and located it in front of the blower motor where it fits in there just fine using the existing PDC screws. Plumbing was easy; there's a "T" fitting on the firewall just above it where one line goes to the HVAC controls in the cab and the other goes to the cruise control module then out to the old canister. There is a check valve on the line going to the HVAC, so you want to splice in the new canister after that "T" fitting like the old one is. Although this canister is smaller than the old football, it works just fine. Plenty of vacuum reserve for the HVAC, A/C, and cruise. :cheers:

I originally moved mine to the radiator header panel when my MJ was still a 2.5 (there's plently of room there with the 4 banger but not with the 4.0) Then I moved it to where you moved yours Don......then I swapped a dual diapraghm booster in and had to relocate the washer fluid resivoir....it fit perfectly right above the blower motor ;) So I moved the vac blimp to the inside fenderwell where the resivoir used to live at. It's all pieces n' parts, which is what I love about Jeeps.

Still thinking about swapping in the late model XJ resivoir that lives inside the fender like you posted, but I don't know how long it would survive with the 35's :D

Jeff

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I got an aftemarket bumper on my XJI moved the "football" up where the coolant pressure bottle used to go because I converted to open cooling. I have it strapped to the firewall. I had to remove the platform where the pressure bottle was.

On the MJ I just have a ball (no cruise control). I have converted that to open cooling too. Since the ball is smaller than the football I'll do the same with the ball and be able to put a smaller overflow bottle right next to it, that's todays project.

I'll take a picture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

When I got an aftemarket bumper on my XJI moved the "football" up where the coolant pressure bottle used to go because I converted to open cooling. I have it strapped to the firewall. I had to remove the platform where the pressure bottle was.

On the MJ I just have a ball (no cruise control). I have converted that to open cooling too. Since the ball is smaller than the football I'll do the same with the ball and be able to put a smaller overflow bottle right next to it, that's todays project.

I'll take a picture.

Sorry to resurrect the dead, but did you ever get a pic?  I've got a non-cruise truck and need to do something about mine.