johnnyc's MJ

Just picked up my new MJ yesterday. I have a 98 2-door XJ also, which is my trail rig.

Found the MJ in Las Vegas. Took a bus up there and drove it back to SoCal.

It's a 1992 shortbed with 4.0 H.O., automatic, 4WD, AC, cruise control, and 147K miles. Being in Vegas all its life, the clearcoat is peeling. But it has a straight, rust-free body. And it has a Dana 44.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the MJ had a blown head gasket and I couldn't pass smog. So I took the opportunity to swap on a rebuilt head and my old Borla header to replace a cracked manifold.

Passed smog today and got my license plates.

I've also taken off the side mouldings, stripes, and lettering. I think it looks a lot cleaner this way.

I also swapped in a full gauge cluster and installed a Redline tuning hood strut kit.

Lifted the rear two inches by adding XJ main leafs into the MJ packs. Going to get some coil spacers so I can throw on some Rubicon rims and MT/Rs.

Thanks. For now, it'll be a DD. Just going to put on the Rubi rims and wheels this weekend. It's just fun to drive around. So many people are like, "I didn't know Jeep made a pickup truck."

Just put some Sony 5.25" speakers in the doors and Alpine 3x6 (?) speakers in the side panels today. Sounds much better now. I'll be installing a new HU and satellite radio this weekend.

I'm sure the MJ will be my trail rig some day... ;)

Well, the MJ had a blown head gasket and I couldn't pass smog. So I took the opportunity to swap on a rebuilt head and my old Borla header to replace a cracked manifold.

Passed smog today and got my license plates.

I've also taken off the side mouldings, stripes, and lettering. I think it looks a lot cleaner this way.

I also swapped in a full gauge cluster and installed a Redline tuning hood strut kit.

Lifted the rear two inches by adding XJ main leafs into the MJ packs. Going to get some coil spacers so I can throw on some Rubicon rims and MT/Rs.

Whats up Johnny! Nice looking truck... I'm quite jealious of the shortbox... I need to change these nasty KMC 10" rims on my sons MJ and get it painted.... Well and get his drivers license.

Scott

Just picked up my new MJ yesterday. I have a 98 2-door XJ also, which is my trail rig.

Found the MJ in Las Vegas. Took a bus up there and drove it back to SoCal.

It's a 1992 shortbed with 4.0 H.O., automatic, 4WD, AC, cruise control, and 147K miles. Being in Vegas all its life, the clearcoat is peeling. But it has a straight, rust-free body. And it has a Dana 44.

I love how you snuck the billboard with C.O.R.R. in the background..... jamminz.gif nice find

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a drop-in bedliner for the MJ today. Also installed a new carpet and full console. It originally had a mini console.

This past week, I had to replace the fuel pressure regulator as it developed a leak which was dripping right onto the header! Caught that one just in time. While I was at it, I changed out the fuel injector o-rings too.

I just picked up a WJ brake booster and master cylinder, which will be going on the MJ at the earliest opportunity.

I also bought a slightly used set of ACOS, which will be installed with the Rubicon rims and tires.

Got some updated pics.

The ACOS deal fell through, so I just put on some coil spring spacers and V8 ZJ coils. And put on the Rubi wheels and tires. To my surprise, the tires don't rub anywhere.

Haven't decided what color to paint it yet. Satin Black WOULD be nice. But the MJ will eventually become a trail rig and a black Jeep would not be tree branch friendly.

I was thinking white since my other two Jeeps have been white and it hides scratches very well. But now I'm thinking gray or silver. That way I won't have to take the bed off to paint between the bed and cab. :)

Haven't decided what color to paint it yet. Satin Black WOULD be nice. But the MJ will eventually become a trail rig and a black Jeep would not be tree branch friendly.

I was thinking white since my other two Jeeps have been white and it hides scratches very well. But now I'm thinking gray or silver. That way I won't have to take the bed off to paint between the bed and cab. :)

Having a white XJ with tinted glass I have really learned to appreciate the cool inside on a hot day. Now I have a white MJ and will be tinting the side and rear glass soon, and fixing the A/C.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the 97 doors on the MJ on Saturday. I now have power windows, locks, and mirrors. And no more wing windows.

The doors were white, so I was just going to primer the doors gray to make it close. But I got a a little carried away and sprayed the whole cab.

• 1 month later...
Got the 97 doors on the MJ on Saturday. I now have power windows, locks, and mirrors. And no more wing windows.

The doors were white, so I was just going to primer the doors gray to make it close. But I got a a little carried away and sprayed the whole cab.

Just curious...how did the wiring work out on the 97+ upgrade, i.e., harness wiring, etc.? Was it an instant "plug & play" or did you experience difficulty with the installation?

The modernization that you have done merely by changing the doors is really pretty cool!

:cheers:

V/R

Paul

I want your bucket seats! Great find, welcome to the club!

:cheers:

You want the bucket seats?? :D You can have them...they're pretty trashed. I've got a line on some nicer ones.

Paul, I replied to your thread in the Tech forum. The wiring is a major pain. That took us several hours to complete.. Like I said, there will be a writeup soon in JP Magazine. I believe that Pete will have a complete listing of what wires go where...if he can read his scribbled notes.

• 1 month later...

Doh, I got relegated to the third page.

Since my last post, I picked up a 98 front clip, bumper, and fenders to further update the look of the truck. The fenders are off at the body shop getting sandblasted (they were red) and sealed. I'll have to do the header panel myself. These will be installed at the soonest possible moment.

I'm still considering a Reflexxion hood. I really want one. The whole truck will be getting painted white and the bed will be Line-X'd, hopefully within a couple of months.

I got some really nice black MJ rear flares from the junkyard (sorry Pete). I'll get some black front flares at the next half-price weekend. I was going to use the newer style flares on the new fenders. But I didn't like the look of new flares on the front and older flares on the rear. So it's gonna be older style all the way around.

I've recently replaced the power steering box and pump and control arms. I also installed a tranny cooler and a 97+ aux fan.

Last night, I picked up a free set of MT/Rs to replace my worn out ones.

Not much different from my last picture.

U can rework the rear flares to look more like the 97+ XJ fronts Just takes a little time and some sanding with a DA. I did mine a while back. I also have a set of fiberglass rear MJ flares that were custom made to match the 97+ XJ fronts. Got them from a guy I bot my bed from a while back. I may try and sell them. Here's the picture of the sanded flares