Project Pavement Pounder 86 MJ + 97 XJ ~PAINTED w/ PICS~

Thought I would update my project thread. So I picked up this MJ back in March 08. 1986 "Custom" Long Bed. Trying to save gas so i picked up the 2.5L 5-speed 2wd. Oh ya and its was rust free. :popcorn: :D

Original Plans:

2-door XJ buckets/console

97+ Front clip conversion

3" lift

99 XJ Ecco Wheels

235s or 31s,

metal valve cover since the lame plastic one has a hole in it.

power windows/locks/keyless entry

97 mirrors

Line-x

Remove roll bar

Tint windows

Clean up the engine bay..

S-10 rear bumper.

Paint

Only thing i didnt get accomplised was the keyless entry, I ended up using the system I had on my sisters jeep, so no keyless for now. And I swapped the line-x for herculiner becasue I'm cheap, but havent rolled it on yet.

The MJ the day i brought it home, it sputted all the way home, alternator died, and oil was spewing everywhere:

manche03.jpg

Some progress as the Comanche gets some new shoes and no more mirrors or rollbar.

manche08.jpg

manche09.jpg

Took off the front body parts off and started cleaning the engine bay. Removed the AC lines/accumulator since it was a disaster and i don't need it anyway. Start on re-working the alternator bracket and vacuum lines as well..

manche08.jpg

manche09.jpg

manche07.jpg

Got the 3" lift on, coils, leafs, shocks, and RE sway bar links/discos. Also got my front clip/fenders on. I decided not to change the hood because the 86 and 97 are different with the latches/strikers, so it was easier just to leave it, I had to paint it either way. Also got my full gauge cluster with tach installed.

xmanche02.jpg

xmanche03.jpg

Just some more pics. At this point its officialy the clown mobile with all the different colors. Also got the 97 buckets and 97 console in. My donor 97 was in ok condition, so a few tears in the seats, but it sure beats the bench with a 3 foot x 1 foot hole in it. Got some 91 doors on it with 97 mirrors.

xmanche09.jpg

xmanche11.jpg

xmanche12.jpg

xmanche10.jpg

xmanche05.jpg

xmanche06.jpg

xmanche08.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find.

What's up with the donor. It looks real nice and has the limited teal color that is hard to find.

:cheers:

That color makes me what to hurl. I don't know what it is, but i don't like it. You should see it in person, its funny looking. It was a forestry dept XJ or so I'm told. Donor was picked up for parts, it had some DW and ran good, but missed little at idle, so i got it super cheap.

That color makes me what to hurl. I don't know what it is, but i don't like it. You should see it in person, its funny looking. It was a forestry dept XJ or so I'm told. Donor was picked up for parts, it had some DW and ran good, but missed little at idle, so i got it super cheap.

I'm not a fan of it either, I just have seen on other forums people comment on the limited production of that color.

Maybe the next MJ I do will have the 97+ conversion, that is if I ever finish my two jeeps I have now. A 2dr XJ is in the future project list. Hopefully I can find one cheap. :brows:

:cheers:

hey man, you got power windows/locks? my brother just bought a 2wd and might be interested in those doors if you don't need em, his is a stolen reovery so the pass side lock is all jacked up (see: screwdriver hole in door and broken lock assembly)

hey man, you got power windows/locks? my brother just bought a 2wd and might be interested in those doors if you don't need em, his is a stolen reovery so the pass side lock is all jacked up (see: screwdriver hole in door and broken lock assembly)

The MJ has manual windows and locks now. I am selling these doors though. I'm putting in some XJ doors and they have power windows/locks. Sorry...

• 2 weeks later...
hey man I have a rear stock bumper and ecco wheels. If you're interested maybe we could work a deal . I'm in Griffin . I also have a diamond plate truck box I'm about to sell if interested.

Very interested in the bumper and truck box. If you saw my new pics ive alreday got wheels form one of my old XJs. PM me and we could work something out. Ive got XJ parts scattered all over my garage!

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice man. i like i like!! i was toying witht the idea of changing my front end to that too. do you have a picture of the new fender on where it meets the door? wanted to see if it lines up just bout or will it need some work to clean it up? after seeing it more on comanches i wanna change mine too. how hard was it to change all those parts over? thanks.

It was pretty dang easy, i did have to "trim" the core support for the 97+ header panel to fit in. Just a few passes with the die grinder and it was fine, there is no way you can see the modifications unless you take the header panel off.

I will be there tomorrow working on it and ill take some more pics, maybe some out of the garage.. It lines up perfectly with the door. Only issue is the passenger side where is meets the windshield trim/a-piller is kinda off. But the 97 XJ I got was hit on the passenger side front, and I'm 99% sure the back side of the fender is tweaked.

I just have to be patient for paint. The clown colors are kinda cool for now, but not really.

• 4 weeks later...
Very nice man. i like i like!! i was toying witht the idea of changing my front end to that too. do you have a picture of the new fender on where it meets the door? wanted to see if it lines up just bout or will it need some work to clean it up? after seeing it more on comanches i wanna change mine too. how hard was it to change all those parts over? thanks.

It just bolts up, uses all the same mounts in the fender support.

They boltup to the upper radiator support the same even. The bumper brackets bolt to the factory framerails and the bumper to the bracket.

Its all pretty easy and makes for a nice upgrade, and can be done fairly cheap for new parts:

82.50 - fender

82.50 - fender

Grill Chrome - 18.95 (or black/paint 9.95)

Bezel Chrome L/R - 5.95 black/paint 5.95

Front bumper 25.95

Bumper bracket R/L 6.95

Bumper end Cap 16.95

Header panel 37.97

Marker Light L/R 9.95

Park Light L/R 11.95

So thats about $350 for all new parts, if you found some at the junkard you could walk away for less than that.

• 8 months later...

Been a while since I updated.. :fool:

Got a Diamond Plate tool box from Home Depot, a new CD player installed, re-wired the entire speaker system since the PO rigged a tape teck and destroyed the wiring. Got some new door speakers and made sure the rear cab speakers worked. Got a new alternator, battery cables, and alternator wiring. After I finished that I dropped it off for paint and tint.

And here the result: Pictures suck I know, all i had was my phone on me. More updates and pictures when i piece it back together this weekend. I picked it up from paint at 6:00 and took the first pic, then got the windows tinted and took a pick a few hours ago in the dark. 20% tint all the way around. Its dark, i like it.

xmanche13.jpg

xmanche14.jpg

Jeremy, How did the paint job turn out? I talked to them a few days ago about painting mine. I am wainting for feed back from you before I dump my truck off to them.

They really did a stand up job. From the prior condition of the doors and the bed they did great. They did every thing I asked, so no complaints. can't beat the price either, like i said before i went a step up from their $199 job, which i'm sure would have been fine as well. Their body work is expensive, but i didnt have any done, so i didnt care. You should drop by the garage in Acworth when your not busy. I might be there Saturday afternoon.