hide that hitch

used a universal 2" receiver flipped in all directions bolted it to the bumper mounts then weld 1/4"plate to the outside creating longer more reliable tie ins down the frame. the folder is sourced from an amc eagle (pics are b4 any welding and paint, ill get a couple more when i remove all the mud)

That turned out nice. It also protects the rear springs from getting bent if you back into a rock or something.

Just be careful if you use a D-ring with a snatch strap, the plate holder might rub and fray the strap.

it shouldn't be a problem to cover the plate when towing a trailer...assuming the trailer has a plate, they can still figure out who it is (unless it's a borrowed trailer).

but...were it me, just to avoid any potential conflict, i would make the plate flip up instead of down.

i checked the law first and as long as the trailer is licensed its coo

and if it were to flip up it would be destroyed by the trailer

were i to use it for recovery i would have a way of holding the plate down to avoiding strap damage

its a buddies project now

prolly just going to sit at his place till i can afford its many demands (axle innards) but still runs awsome

the comanche bug is taking priority for a few years

don't have many pics but here is a good one about half way through

rear amc 20 rear direct bolt in on custom lift eagle springs front d44 on waggy springs mounted to a very beefy subframe designed to pull the unibody up as it sags in the midd section

AMC went out of business because they just couldn't stop themselves from making stupid looking cars... Car after car you would think that they eventually would have figured out that the buying public doesn't want dorky... Even their late muscle cars suffered from it.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

me and my gf decided that the correct term is ...chesthairsexy... oneword

and up until that tree jumped out from nowere and smashed the pass door that car was the nicest one ive ever seen, localy or on the internet

limited,tow package(unheard of 3.08 gear ratio), load leaveling shocks(very rare),lots of chrome,power seats/windows/locks,leather seats,all the extra butons and gages,and the most amazing...ready...wait...factory cellphone/cradel charger and integrated hands free setup (remote mount speaker and mic.)

yes i dropped a couple jaws at eaglesnest.com over a few of those options

baught it off a lot for 1600 and was the second owner (i did meet the original owner, he forgot to put the cell in the car before driving into town to sale it but contacted the lot so as it could stay with the car)

I even got to hook the cell up for a few mo.s b4 our network was updated(AK is still about 5 years behind the rest of the country in cell techwhatever)

the only reason it got hacked up is because of the only rust on her eating the thin sheet metal that holds the top of the shock,coil and upper Aarm

it all broke loose at once, at 45mph (scary with lots of traffic) lucky i was close to home[/b]

• 2 years later...
used a universal 2" receiver flipped in all directions bolted it to the bumper mounts then weld 1/4"plate to the outside creating longer more reliable tie ins down the frame. the folder is sourced from an amc eagle (pics are b4 any welding and paint, ill get a couple more when i remove all the mud)

Thats a great idea so long as your truck isnt lifted and you don't need to run a drop receiver.

Why again was it you said tha plate couldnt henge upwards? :hmm: Couldnt you make a hook out of clothes hanger wire or something going from tha top edge of the bumper to tha bottom edge of tha plate to hold it up and out of tha way?

Instead of wire, how bout a spring thats just strong enough to overpower tha plate brackets spring?

:dunno:

AMC went out of business because they just couldn't stop themselves from making stupid looking cars... Car after car you would think that they eventually would have figured out that the buying public doesn't want dorky... Even their late muscle cars suffered from it.

The platform the Eagle was built on had been designed in the mid to late 1960's, to replace the Rambler, and compete at the absolute lowest cost/profit segment of the automobile market.

Originally introduced as the 1970 Hornet, and Gremlin, then reskinned 10 years later, without any major structural changes to create the Concord

(one of the first upscale compact cars, available with power everything).

The Gremlin later got a hatchback, along with the new Concord nose, and became the AMC Spirit.

When they wanted to expand to sell one of the first 4x4 cars (before any of the big 3), they put a ft drive axle in the Spirit & Concord, to make the Eagle,

and even brought the Gremlin rear end back from the dead in the form of the Kammback.

They had to use what assets they had available to create new innovative products, and generate income.

If they were able to keep repackaging and selling the same basic car to the fickle buying public for nearly 20 model years, it couldn't have been that bad.

If you're taking about the Pacer,

that thing sold by the boatload, and helped get AMC through the late 1970's.

AMC didn't have the resources of the big three,

so they used innovation, and some of the best engineers & designers in the business to compete.

AMC 'went out of business' because they had to look to an off shore company (Renault) to generate capital in a downturned market

(Chrysler was in the same boat, but were able to convince the US Government to provide a fat bailout loan, courtesy of Lee Iaccoca's connections).

When Renault figured out Americans didn't want French cars, they sold AMC to Chrysler, who only wanted Jeep, and it's staff, not another car line.

They tried 'Eagle' for a short time, but it probably had more to do with satisfying union contracts than actually wanting to have six divisions (Eagle, Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Jeep & Dodge Truck).

"Eagle" was tried, then dumped, and AMC cars were no more.