88 Manche -Bumper Fab. Page8

Well i picked it up about two weeks ago. So far I have done the fron brakes, and fixed my leaky tank, while putting in a new fuel pump, now the terrible oil leak needs to be fixed. But i love it, and its a blast to drive

you can see where the filler is on the bed, and partly see the oil on the driveway.

i am getting a roll bar for $20 this weekend and will ditch the tool box. it will eventualy have 6inches of lift and 33's. i will post progress as it hapens

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish my XJ was that rust-free. Good score. 8)

With some fender trimming I could make 33's fit at that ride height. jamminz.gif

With 6" of lift 35's will fit with some trimming. :chillin:

Want to find me a clean MJ like yours? :D It doesn't even need to run...

Want to find me a clean MJ like yours? :D It doesn't even need to run...

ya it would be nice , o wait a second i had one , its parked out side in the

drive way all beat up . though i long for the day another pristine mj

comes my way il probably just cut it up and modify it in some way shape

or form because i just can't leave well enuf alone , but thats life.

by the way i love ur manche camjeep3

first thing first: i am ungodly jealous of you guys down south and your rust free jeeps. here in the northeast jeeps start rusting at the friggin dealership. after seeing your truck, i'm gonna go out to the garage and slap my manche for letting itself go.

With some fender trimming I could make 33's fit at that ride height. jamminz.gif

second, with TJ flares, you could fit 35's now :brows: i bet with TJ flares you could fit 33's at the stock height. i have TJ flares, and am currently sitting at about 6" of lift and i bet i could fit 37's. mind you, if my manche was as clean and rust free as yours, i'd kick guys like me in the shins just for suggesting cutting the fenders.

anyway, nice find man. u suck. :D

That oil leak looks like its caused by blowby...

Check under your air filter in the airbox and see if you have an oily mess. The filter should be oily too. If its all nasty down there, take a wire coat hanger (or some other wire) and run it through the plastic line going to the top of the valve cover. Clean out all the nasty in there (a can of degreaser helps too) and then take an 1/8" drill bit and work it down into the rubber valve on the cover itself, once its all cleaned out, your oil "leak" should go away.

Mine Leaked just like that and it doesn't anymore thanks to what I just told ya.

Good Luck, Nice MJ. 5"-6" and 33's is a nice combo. to plan for. Mine sits that high and I've got 10" wide rims with it. They keep it looking in proportion and I would recommend them for yours too if you go with that combo.

first thing first: i am ungodly jealous of you guys down south and your rust free jeeps. here in the northeast jeeps start rusting at the friggin dealership. after seeing your truck, i'm gonna go out to the garage and slap my manche for letting itself go.

second, with TJ flares, you could fit 35's now :brows: i bet with TJ flares you could fit 33's at the stock height. i have TJ flares, and am currently sitting at about 6" of lift and i bet i could fit 37's. mind you, if my manche was as clean and rust free as yours, i'd kick guys like me in the shins just for suggesting cutting the fenders.

anyway, nice find man. u suck. :D

I have TJ flares in the garage but I won't use them since I rework my stockers for more clearance and better looks then the TJ flares have. I did run 33's with no lift on my XJ with cut fenders and relocated stock flares. The rear of my MJ would fit 38" tires and the front would fit 37" tires right now with only 3" of bumpstop or so. I have 6" of front lift(since swapping bumpers) and 4.5" of rear lift.

BTW I would cut the fenders on a clean MJ within the first week of owning it.

Before I cut my fenders I could make my front 33's rub with 6.5" of lift. I would have needed at least 4" of bumpstop extention to keep the tires off the fender flares. My 11" travel front shocks allow for a ton of flex. With shorter shocks 6" of lift and 33's should fit with enough bumpstop.

Wait I got that same stinkin blow by.and dumb @$$ leek too coming out of the air box. Do you mean just keep cleaning it so it doesn't accumalate or did you figure out a way to get it to stop shooting oil up that pipe without replacing a ring.

stopping it from shootin everywhere is easy... find an empty quart of oil, place end of spewing tube in bottle, don't seal it off (it will come out somewhere else) and empty when full ;)

Wait I got that same stinkin blow by.and dumb @$$ leek too coming out of the air box. Do you mean just keep cleaning it so it doesn't accumalate or did you figure out a way to get it to stop shooting oil up that pipe without replacing a ring.

Yah, I just cleaned out that plastic line with some degreaser and also cleaned the rubber valve on the top of the valve cover as best I could. I blew some air through the line too. Not to say it will work for you, maybe yours is way worse than mine was, but thats what I did and it worked for me...

Although, leaking oil everywhere did help me against rust in the long run, I was sick of the spots in the driveway.

Sorry to Hi-jack

well the small plastic line was held in to another rubber hose with electrical tape :roll: so i swithced it to a rubber hose with the same inner diameter, and cleaned the other one. then i realized that i have the wrong hose on the fornt. :roll: (you would think a guy that built these on the assembly line would have fixed this right) so i am just getting the whole new vaccume line kit from rock auto, but even what i did do slowed it down alot.

• 3 weeks later...

looks like an RE lift is coming for Christmas jamminz.gif

but, what are some good upgrades you would consider, i will mainly be on trails with ruts and some mud...the lift will be a 5.5"RE kit, and 33" maxxis bighorns. i will prolly make some rockrails, regear. what eles, like small cheap junkyard type mods should i do?

With my 33's I'm running stock 3.55's. They work just fine, if thats what you have already in your truck I'd keep them.

Once you add a lift, you should also add SOLID recovery points for all the other vehicles you'll have to save while on the trail :thumbsup:

I've had no problems with it other than when I set the pinion angle in it, I did it wrong. So to fix it and solve my vibration problems would mean to reweld it (Ive already shimmed it). Instead of doing that though, I am looking to just replace it with an XJ or MJ D44 that will give me more options later down the road with lockers and such...

I've had no problems with it, seems to be working fine for what I use it for. Also the one I have is the weaker 27 spine version. Not a bad axle, I just prefer the aftermarket offered for the D44.

When I was building mine, I needed an axle for the rear and an 8.25 was the easiest and CHEAPEST option I had I guess, but now its time for the next step.

I'm also going to put an SYE in when I change the axles out...

If you think you'll be happy with the 5" and 33" tires, you shouldnt need a stronger axle. ;)

• 2 months later...

well i should give an update here, in the next few weeks i will be putting on a 4.5inch RE lift. i have been lazy about the oil( i know thats bad...) other stuff has goten in the way and the truck stays at my grandparents so its somewhat of a hasle to work on it. but hopefully i wil get ambitious and start doing stuff! jamminz.gif

• 2 weeks later...

good luck with the engine swap. Just remember that engine has been sitting for a while so drain and refill the oil before you go to crank it.

that is a nice looking truck you have there...I love the tool box!!! I'm going to have to find one of those! LOL.

for those of you who think i'm trashing his box...i'm not. Its mine now!