making a trailer..

I'm turning the MJ I just got into a trailer. sold the 2.5 engine already, it comes out this week and gets installed in a mint 86 cherokee. then I will cut the front half off, and also cut the cab section out and keep it for a cheromanche/4dr comanche project.

I'd like suggestions as to what to do...

at the moment, I'm gonna just get it built (by the end of spring...hopefully sooner given the time)...then fix the rear flares later on. but I'm planning on making a "wedge" shaped toolbox for the front...frame with diamond plate skin, fullsize spare w/ matching rim (canyons) on one side of that and the door on the other. flat top toolbox of course. stock tail lights, stock rear bumper.

it'll be a 2" ball for sure.

I have a nice lift thingy with a wheel on it for the front (forgot what they're called). brakes could be left intact...or put a actual trailer axle in it....

this would be mostly for show, but of course I'd use it alot. I just don't want to get rid of a easily-fixed bed, especially when the 89 will need a new one soon ....(inner wheel wells rotted too :(). the debate goes on as to use the stock frame-rails and build the hitch onto that, or to build my own...

i'm :nuts: but it would be a nice little trailer...

i'm :nuts: but it would be a nice little trailer...

you need a real job.

hehehe... ;)

I've seen someone on NAXJA awhile back with the nicest manche bed trailer following his XJ. Really cool and the paint/wheels matched too. I say do it!! :nuts:

EDIT: couldn't find the pics on NAXJA

I'm making a trailer right now. It was a little tricky figuring out how to tie everything together at the hitch end but it has worked out OK. Short description: If you cut the "frame" right behind the LCA mounts you have all kinds of threaded inserts to work with. It's one big sheet metal sandwich right there so having nuts welded to the innermost layers are important for strength. I started to keep the brakes and add an XJ Ebrake lever to act as a parking brake. It seemed like a cool idea but the brakes had too much drag when they were adjusted to function. I need to be able to push the thing around by hand at my house. I'll do a write-up when the paint and final details are done.

did ya think about retaining the gas tank as a fuel reservoir? I'm contemplating doing that and using the fuel pump to pump the gas...

Yeah, that's a good idea. I thought about it- after I tossed the tank and gave the pump / sending unit to a neighbor. I was able to deal with the regret after I scored a 20lb CO2 bottle for OBA. :banana: The air tank will hang where the gas tank did and the air chuck is in the gas cap door. I figured everything could use the same air but the toys all use different fuels. We have to carry quick-fill cans for pit fueling anyway.

doing mine now as well, all cut up and ready to weld (tomarow?). same as tracker's just not as pretty. i kept the tank, building a topper special for all my tools...or as many as i can fit, and mounting a big compressor to the front, ill ad a project thread w\progress pics when i finish

Here's a teaser:

This is the frame before the axle and box were put back on.

I'll do a write-up when the paint and final details are done.

Wow Tracker, that looks pretty BA so far.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Very clean work man! Watch this become the hot new MJ trend...

Here's a teaser:

This is the frame before the axle and box were put back on.

I'll do a write-up when the paint and final details are done.
Only suggestion I have is to cover the holes in the frame stiffeners up front. The leave a place for water to sit, not good...

Only suggestion I have is to cover the holes in the frame stiffeners up front. The leave a place for water to sit, not good...

There are several 1' and 1.5" holes in the front half of the frame. The Home Depot specialty fastener assortment has these chrome plugs that pop in perfectly. Something worth considering though if you live in rust country: If water can get in anywhere in the frame you have to give it a way to air out. There are two big gaps in our frame structures on each side that will let water in; and salt in the case of you east coasters. They are right in the two places on each side where the pinch seam changes from horizontal to vertical. One is just in front of the rear tire and one is back by the rear bumper mount. All four would get road mung thrown in by the tires and be a place for salty mud to collect. I'll be sealing these spots at the same time I put the hole plugs in.

I'd bet these gaps are responsible for a lot of the rotton pinch seams I've seen pics of.

I'm telling ya man, with that XJ roof on there, it looks like a waggamanche. jamminz.gif

I think it looks like a bus. this roof thing will be made for the 89. so yes, it will be a waggomanche :D

goals with it are: tube frame with roof set on top, remove xj pillars and headliner, keep seatbelt harness support thingers in there to function as either seatbelt mounts, or some sort of strap to strap it down.... roof rack it and put an xj upper rear hatch on it (cut hatch in half), with canvas sides.

that, plus half doors would be sweet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...