The other Chief (Getting it ready for paint)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is going to be a bit of a resto mod. Going to go with about 4 or 5 inches with some 32's going to get a fresh coat of paint and some new Chief decals and just going to use this one for a weekend wheeler/spare truck to haul my quad around and what not.

Well now that she's home I had a chance to go over it. The kid I got it from bought it from a dealer that got it from the OG owner whick was a tech at jeep so he says. Has 4.10's, new tie rod ends,new steering box,new brake lines,brakes,roters and drums,new clutch,slave and master, cab and nose are real clean. No rot in floor but the bed has seen better days. also missing ebrake cables and has a busted rear spring. Here's a couple pictures of how she was when I picked her up.

479208_217_full.jpg

479208_218_full.jpg

a sad attempt by someone to try and cover up some rust

479208_219_full.jpg

479208_220_full.jpg

Here's what you have all been waiting for. Here's why I got it for $200. Shot a rod right through the side of the block and damn near tore the engine mount off.

479208_221_full.jpg

I have a spare 88 cherokee laying around so I plan on swaping the engine over. Already got the engine out of the chief and plan on swaping the other one in within the next 2 weeks or so.

damn nice machine for the $$$.

chief too :D

in regards to the bed, that can be pulled right out with some nice caressing. I venture to say you could make it un-noticeable with the right knowledge and care.

I have 2 shortbed beds local to me, one is MINE as it has a set of brand new OEM replacement bedsides on it, the other is spoken for i think (grismj86 wants it but he's disappeared of late). I'm paying $350 for the pair, the one with the new bedsides has had the bedsides riveted onto it so i will rectify that, the other has a small ding or two and surface rust, but NO rot over the fender flares.

just wanted to taunt all of you...and if alex doesn't end up wanting it then i'll post the second one up, although I have a few shortbed guys local to me who need them. ha, i know that cause i sold them the trucks ;)

This one is going to be a bit of a resto mod. Going to go with about 4 or 5 inches with some 32's going to get a fresh coat of paint and some new Chief decals and just going to use this one for a weekend wheeler/spare truck to haul my quad around and what not.

Where can you get new decals???

Sean

Where can you get new decals???

Sean

I'm having a buddy of mine make them

just picked up a nice 8.8 out of a 1999 ford exploder with an LSD,disc brakes and 4.10's. A buddy of mine is a scrap man and some guy was cleaning out his shop and grabed this for me for free along with 2 14 bolt FF's and a set of chevy 8" lift springs. more then likly going to sell the springs and 14 bolts if any one know someone whos interested in any of that crap

• 1 month later...

made a little more progress on this unnamed project. Didn't end up using the 88 engine I had. I picked up a 95 HO with low miles and just bolted all the Renix stuff on there and the good old BA10 untill it blows. Just waiting on a few odds and ends I had to order from the dealer and I should be able to fire it up. Here's a couple pictures of the engine in there.

479208_222_full.jpg

479208_225_full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Made a little more progress with the Chief today. Got the bed off and tossed it behind the garage. Think I'm going to end up scraping it and going with a flatbed. Got the frame striped and coated with POR15, Started to replace the driver side cab corner, Got the floors all sanded and coated also. I'll post some pictures up later when I get them off the camera.

pulled the rugs and was surprised to see verry little rust and no holes

479208_223_full.jpg

So i just scuffed everything up and coated it with POR15

479208_231_full.jpg

Next was to get rid of the rust and rot on the cab corner

479208_224_full.jpg

Have the new used cab corner in place and just need to weld it and do final body work

479208_232_full.jpg

Hope to get the fuel tank mounted and start on the flatbed this weekend. Also started preping the ford 8.8. Just need to replace the calipers and roters

monarch in my town has them...

any good paint/body supply place will have it in black. there is a silvery-black as well I believe.

to spray this stuff, it has to be thinned. ALOT. because it hardens after a few seconds contact with air.

remember, when using por15, you CANNOT sand it once it's done. it's near impossible with how hard por15 is, so clean first, THEN put the por on.