"Scout" 1989 MJ DD build thread

Hey all,

Finally decided to do a build thread. This will be my fourth jeep and first MJ.

Bought it at the end of June for seven hundred and fifty dollars.

Had been sitting in this guys driveway for 4 months and needed a clutch.

1989 Jeep Comanche

4x4

4.0L

D30 Front

D35C Rear

3" "wrangler type" ghetto coil lift

2" add a leaf

32" mall terrains

Everything else is pretty much stock and unmolested.

first purchases

Shes been sitting in the street awaiting a clutch.

had to run out and tape the sunroof shut this morning because we actually got some rain out here in the desert. Damn latch that holds it closed is busted. Hope the one at the junkyard has a good one.

Pulled the Drive shafts

Gonna take the transfer case off tonight, but after that I'm waiting on parts to go any further. can't have my trans laying in the street under my truck. Parking Authority loves my area.

Cleaned up the interior. The PO was a total PIG. There is some sort of oil/dirt/grease/booger/caca mess allover the steering wheel and door panels, so I cleaned that crap off. Gonna vacuum and clean the carpet tonight.

This orange stuff works amazing. That and Mr. clean erasers make short work of it.

before

after

Got to the radio wiring and labeling. Also carpet cleaning today. As well as the crap in the door panels after 20 years.

Also did some investigating, and found this lil shiner on the sheet metal of the fenderwell (under the airbox)

Is this normal?

I love finding parts laying on my bed.

New hydraulic hose came today. Hope the clutch comes tomorrow. Damn FedEx.

Got the clutch today.

Never ordering anything from rock auto ever again. Took 7 days to get to Las Vegas from Colorado, via FEDEX!!!!

Never again.

I'm off to the driveway to get this thing jacked up.

More pics later

Got everything ready, tools, all jacked up and squared away. Exhaust off.

Crossmember off.

everything unplugged and disconnected. Found three broken vacuum lines running from transfer case to engine bay.

Gonna try junkyard :furious:

Top two bolts( 12 point ) holding the transmission on the engine are stripped. I'm gonna have to try a smaller size socket and tap it on with a hammer. When the sun sets. :furious:

Got out to mt charleston this morning for smoke session in the rain

caution: do not try this at home. it doesnt hold for long.

I got a little work in today before the heat nearly passed me out :sweatdrop:

shes sittin out in the street on jack stands. Lets hope parking authority doesnt notice. :ninja:

Cleaning disgusting crossmember, going to paint it black or something.

Dropping trans by myself took a little bit of "negotiating."

Ugly inside. Seal gave on the slave/concentric throwout bearing.

Luckily Its nothing some brakekleen won't fix.

And finally I installed the new hydraulic line.

Still waiting on RockAuto to get my damn parts in the mail, so I can get a refund or different clutch. I'm still on edge about getting ANYTHING from this company.

Hopefully I'll have it (money or clutch) within the week.

Finally got the right slave.

Ok... Its been a busy busy week. Got a part time job, thats turning into a full time one. Go me.

worked on the boat, worked on the MJ and helped a friend swap his engine. Pshewww...

Got to some work today finally. Clutch went up last night, trans, transfer case, starter, driveshafts and crossmember went up today.

Last night I discovered this lovely pilot bearing DESTROYED

found an awesome removal tool

trans awaiting transplant (haha)

Friend needed the lower rear seal on his bearing housing on the outboard replaced . PITA

still missing the coupler for the hydraulic line from master to slave cylinder

Yep its solid. No rust except on the exhaust, and actually I think its oxidation. can't wait to drive it. Planning a spring over axle flip, and some heavy duty coils and track bar this winter. Hopefully running 35s by Xmas.

Got a coupler for the hydraulic line for $1.25 at my favorite hardware store. Its ALIVE!!

slipped the trans into first gear with a screwdriver because I took out the gear selector in first and It wouldnt fit.. Adjusted the transfercase linkage, bled the clutch some more.. And I took my first drive. Needs a lil more bleeding, but it works great. Need to run my vacuum lines for the 4wd actuation, but shes gonna get a shake down this week!

I may have to get a set of xj stock springs. This bull**** wrangler type lift setup isint tall enough for 32s. Rubs like a mother ****er at nearly halfway to lock.[/b]

That truck looks pretty darn solid, nice find.

I will tip my hat to you for doing a clutch job curb side. :ack: I don't like doing one in the garage. But have have to ask about the 'wrangler' style lift. What do you mean? The MJ/XJ/TJ share the exact same suspension design. I am just curious.

Keep up the good work.

:cheers: Got my wrangler mtrs(used) mounted, and drove my truck around for a while with my windows down.

31.1050.15s incase anyone was wondering. Found out my lift needs to go. Unsafe. On the hunt for stock coils and spacer or just lift coil.

• 2 weeks later...