"Oscar" The building of a DD

Hey guys, Well over the past couple years Ive caught this addiction to MJs as many of us have, but till now all my Jeeps have been 4wd...Untill this little guy was put up for sale. I had been in contact with the owner a few times over the past year+ and when he decided he wanted a Land Rover, I was the first person he asked when he was ready to part with the MJ. A few conversations and $500 later I got my 5th Comanche :D

Overall its a very strong truck still, some minor body rust but a clean frame and the Drivers floor was already replaced as well. Its an 88 SWB 176k miles 4.0/AW4/D44. Lots of new parts installed over the past year and with just alittle TLC this truck will have no problem becoming a reliable DD. My plans are simply to bring this little sucker back a bit of its glory and then probably DD it down the road....for $500 and and MJ in this shape, i wasnt about to pass it up jamminz.gif

:yes: D44 with trac-lok

Interior mostly there, also has a sunroof! 8)

A still VERY strong 4.0.

Minor body rust...

can't wait to dig in! :wrench:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I started going over it a bit this evening. Definently needs a bit of TLC but mostly with just basic matinence issues. Ill do my best to keep track of it over time here, but don't expect anything too crazy...but with my mind, its hard to tell what ideas may occur :cheers:

Well today was a busy day in the garage for this truck, Luckly along the way I found no bad suprises and accomplished alot of needed matinence and a few bonus' along the way :D

A box of goodies

If this doesnt say something about the last time the oil was changed, idk what does....thats an OLD filter

The air filter wasnt much better... :ack:

I can offically call it "2 Wheel Peel" now......Trac-Lok Confirmend jamminz.gif

We all know MJ Dana44s are like treasure to us, So i figured Id give my treasure some character 8)

I had 1 more full cluster lying around so I figured id throw it in, and with the sensors from the parts jeep It was good to go! I hate not knowing what my Jeeps are doing.

However on my test drive after a few miles I believe the speedo cable popped back off or even snapped :grrrr: So itll all come back out sometime soon.

I also got the Output seal on the tranny replaced. Overall i got alot done today so I'm happy for that. Still very happy with this purchase!

Ill be back with more I'm sure :cheers:

We all know MJ Dana44s are like treasure to us, So i figured Id give my treasure some character 8)

:

:clapping: I like it! :popcorn: Gonna keep an eye on this one. Also, are those rims steels? I wish I could have found a cool pair like those when I was rim hunting. They match the ones I was looking for to a T.

Alittle lesson for me this evening. The previous owner sent along a set of NIB front rotors to replace the current warped 1s on the truck so i figured tonight id swap them around, knowing the 2wd rotors didnt utilize a unit bearing like its 4wd brother, I figured id learn alittle something in the process ;)

Old warped rotors

Shiney and new

After some fresh grease for the bearings and some scuffing on the pads (still had 9/32nds life in em) and about an hour of time, she was back together again.

Another issue resolved. I'm beginnig to think of color options for when its time to paint this 1. Right now I'm looking towards a Dark green/Gold theme. 8)

Ill keep ya posted! :cheers:

The current thermostat housing had a slow leak, so figured it wouldnt hurt to swap it out and clean things up a bit.

Old Thermostat, Housing and even the broken top bolt.... :chillin:

All cleaned up and back together ;)

No Leaks anymore :jump:

Also cleaned up some areas around of few of the trouble spots....this is the worst area but still nothing I'm afraid of.

Body work and paint prep will come alittle later. Next on the list is a full Tune up :thumbsup:

the spark plugs in this thing looked old enough to be OEM! So out they went. Also put a new(er) cap and rotor in.

I took another quick test run and she still amazing me with the power of this particular 4.0. However i added a few more small items to my "2 do" list.

I believe this truck has an XJ sending unit installed, the origional owner had a Brand new Airtex sending unit and pump installed in a brand new fuel tank. Now i know you can not get brand new MJ sending units, but this being an Airtex makes me believe its an XJ part and that the new tank possibly without the "slosh pan" allowed it to be installed. Also the fuel gauge reads backwards so it obviously has a 91+ assembly. Also the other thing that leads me to believe this, is that 5 gallons worth of fuel took the gauge from empty to half tank.....somethins screwy for sure. O Well i have a few spare MJ sending units so a swap is in order.

Also the heat is pretty lame for being in the 50s outside so i believe the heater core could use a good flushing. Overall I'm getting alot done and Ive set my goal to have this ready for DD duty by Memorial day 2012 :D

Stay Tuned! Plenty more fun to come :wrench:

#2 was acctually a 1990 Parts truck, It was basically rusted in half, and after I got what i could from it, it was sold off to another Jeep fella in Janurary 2011. It was never tagged or driven by me, but its soul still occupies my property. RIP ;)

I Love productive days, and today was just that. The "biggest" problem with this little truck was a few sports of rust (suprise :roll: ). So with an eager cousin and some welding equipment, We tackled to remove and repair what we could. I also got to weld myself for the 1st time in probably 3-4 years and learned how to fiberglass. Nothin was too major and I'm very happy with our work output.

Typical passenger side rear wheel well, after cutting out the bad.

Drivers door and rocker panel...

Cleaned up the still intact innner fender and applied a layer of fiberglass for some extra protection ;)

Door and rocker patched up, before grinding.

Fenderwell being finished up with Blake laying another layer of fiberglass over the welded patch, that baby is stout now!

In all there were 6 total holes that were patched up. I'm happy to have this step out of the way and be 1 more step closer to getting this baby on the road. Stay tuned Ive still got a little ways to go. :wrench:

Alrighty so this evening i decided to solve my Fuel sending unit issues. I was all but confident that somehow an XJ sending unit was installed in this truck, How? I havent a clue because to my knowledge and even from past experience the XJ Sending units Will not mount in an MJ fuel tank. With the fuel guage reading backwards and a brand new, still had the stickers on it Airtex sending unit mounted in the tank I couldent think of anything else... So out it came and of course is was an XJ unit. The MJ unit to replace it is on the right.

The brand new tank that was installed still has a slosh pan inside as well! :dunno:

Either way I swapped the new pump to my MJ sender and reinstalled the assembly without any trouble. So atleast I now have an accurate fuel gauge that reads the correct way. So mission accomplished. However the rumor of MJ and XJ sending units still has me wondering :nuts:

O Well, have some finishing work to do on the body repairs and a few other small things to take care off as well, Keep checking back :wrench: ;)

Well after a heater core flush, some fresh coolant and parking on a slope in the backyard to bleed the air from the system, I encounted my 1st obstacle in a 2wd truck.....backing up in damp grass :oops: . Not wanting to tear up the yard (mom would likely kill me) It was time for a self recovery. :roll: :yes:

Dad watches on at my antics :chillin:

O Well. Atleast i have great heat now! Should be getting back to some body work tomorrow :wrench:

Got the interior cleaned up a bit and pulled this 80s-tastic floormatt from the parts Jeep, it cleaned up alright and will fit in this thing pretty good

Inside the glove box i found this nice label, so I'm pretty sure that D44 was installed from the factory in this truck ;)

Another small matinence item taken care of this evening. The bearing in the AC Bypass pulley was very noisey so out it came.

Old vs New

At home, and no more noise ;)

Yeah kinda boring i know, I also got a fan clutch swapped and cooling system bled on Dads Wood truck this evening as well :cheers:

Got alittle more work done this weekend.

Got some interior lights installed, thanks to CC member Fezzik :thumbsup:

Also removed the toolbox for painting and removed the plastic bedliner just to see what might be hiding underneath...

Besides some dirt and mulch, the bed was very clean and rust free :D

Got the bed cleaned out and the liner back in. Began getting the stripes off the truck in preperation for paint in the next few weeks.....check back again for more updates :cheers: