Rockdrummer93's '99 MJ Trail Rig Build

Here's my '89 MJ Comanche. I picked it up for $400 with a load of garbage in the bed. It was not running when I bought it, I tinkered around with it and found it was just a fuse link! It does have some body damage and the engine is slap wore out. It sat at the shop I work at for about 4 months while I tried to figure out what I wanted to do with it. I recently found a '99 Cherokee for fairly cheap and jumped on it. So now the I basically going move everything I can from the XJ to the MJ. Interior, drivetrain etc. After that I'll probably get it up in the air about 6-6.5" on 35s. Want it to be more of a do all street able trail rig.

The donor.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SUBSCRIBED....ive got an 89 swb sporty and also a 99 cherokee classic..... doin the same bro, lift will be here tomorrow and already have new 33" MTR's and MT Classic Locks in a 15x10 inch size.... yeahyer...!!! my lift is www.rocky-road.com 6" mj lift .... :drool: got the bed off now building brackets for tank mount and stuff. when I'm done all ill have to do is unplug lights unbolt bed bolts and lift right off. makes for easy cleaning and easier sending unit replacement, ( won't have to drop tank anymore...! )... :thumbsup: ... good luck with the build and keep the pics posted...!!! comanche.gif

SUBSCRIBED....ive got an 89 swb sporty and also a 99 cherokee classic..... doin the same bro, lift will be here tomorrow and already have new 33" MTR's and MT Classic Locks in a 15x10 inch size.... yeahyer...!!! my lift is http://www.rocky-road.com 6" mj lift .... :drool: got the bed off now building brackets for tank mount and stuff. when I'm done all ill have to do is unplug lights unbolt bed bolts and lift right off. makes for easy cleaning and easier sending unit replacement, ( won't have to drop tank anymore...! )... :thumbsup: ... good luck with the build and keep the pics posted...!!! comanche.gif

Thanks man! Will do

• 3 weeks later...

Well its been a little while. but I finally got a little bit more done to the manche. Went out to the presidents day trail ride yesterday and it made me really want to get the ol truck out there. I won't be able to pull the motor just yet still need to get a hoist but was able to get the doors, some of the wiring and other clutter out of the way so she'll be ready when it comes time to pull the motor. I did notice some frame damage though :wall: a crack around one of the steering box bolts and the bumper mount and cross member bent out of shape.

The crack:

Crossmember:

bumper mount:

More muck!

Well got to the interior today, Still have to pull the seat and etc. only had time to get the dash and hvac unit out today. I hopefully will get the motor pulled and the XJ motor in during my spring break the first week of april. a friend of mine has a engine hoist he'll let me barrow but needs to do the motor in his J10 first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

good luck with the interior swap/upgrade. Make sure that you cut the firewall out of the XJ by the steering column and use it in the MJ.. It will save you time if you cut it out and replace the MJ with the XJ piece, otherwise you'll be patching areas where you feel engine heat coming through around your feet/legs.

Well got a lot done so far today and the day aint even over! pulled the motor out of the Cherokee and cleaned it up a little. Painted the Comanche engine bay and installed the motor.. Ill probably try to have the rest of the engine components in by the end of the day. Will try to have it running by the end of the week but not real confident of that just yet.

Pulled the interior out of the XJ today. Next is to start cutting up the firewall and getting that moved over.. To be all honest that is was I am more nervous about then this whole build but I'll get it done. Didnt get any pictures today but will when I start doing the firewall mods.

• 3 weeks later...

Got back to the Comanche today.. not finished for today but decided to take a rest, make sure i'm still doing it right and to update. got most of the firewall mods done as well as fitted the new dash.. not to happy with my fitment of the dash right now. still needs some adjusting to be perfect.

Calling it a day.. will probably pick back up tomorrow. really only got the steering column brace left to do before I can just start putting it all back together.. but knowing my luck since I said that I'll run into some other issue. Here's what I finished with today. getting the last firewall panel in.

Got the dash fitment finished and the steering brace in today. pretty happy on how it turned out figuring I've be dreading this part of the build since the start. Need to drill holes for the harness on the passenger side and the shifter cable as well as patch up a few more holes I don't need then I'll be finished with the firewall. After I install the seat braces I'll pull everything out and prep it for a coating of some sort. Not sure what yet. Here are some pictures from today.

New upper mount for the passenger side:

Dash to window clearance:

• 2 weeks later...

Got the seat brackets in and finished up with the interior mods today.. Then cleaned it out, removed the rust and coated it with a rubberized coating. Should have it running before the end of the month, but with work picking back up we'll see how that works out.