"White Lightning" 86/92 MJ build (slow moving)

Well I guess it's time I start my build thread seeing as it's been about 2.5 years since my first MJ purchase.

This is what's left of the 86 I bought way back in August 09:

2.5L I4 ran like crap. It only lasted a couple months before I decided to go start looking for another MJ to build. I found a 92 MJ 4.0 with ax-15 and np231 that had about 210,000miles on the ticker and a 3in lift. Missing front passenger fender and grill assembly. Swapped that out the first day I owned it (May 2010 I believe)

Image Not Found

As you can see the paint was real ugly on that first one I bought :fs1:

List of what I've done:

SOA rear on ford 9" with 4.10 gears

new drum brakes on the 9"

swapped front d30 from red MJ that had 4.10 gears factory

Rusty's 5" SOA kit

Replaced gas tank

Replaced front windshield

Fixed rusted floors and hurculined interior

New power steering reservoir

New valve seals

Nates 4x4 rear bumper

Installed rear minispool

Plans:

35" swampers

3 link custom long arms with d44

9" rusty's front springs(already have about 9 in rear from SOA and 3" pack)

locked front and rear

new paint (I like the white)

keep it road worthy for at least a couple more years then most likely a trail rig only

Thats all I can think of now, updates to come.

gas tank hole

driver's side holes cut out

My buddy's welding job and primed

holes patched and painted

This is how she sits today(but a little cleaner now that I've washed it)

Image Not Found

comments and/or suggestions welcome

Finally got around to installing my Christmas present the other night. A mini spool for my rear axle: Ford 9" jamminz.gif

Took a little longer than I expected but what jeep project doesn't? Still able to get it done in one night.

Got the carrier out. Gotta love the ease of the 9"

Got the guts out. Didn't want to take it completely apart but had no choice.

And finally with the spool in and beginning the reinstall

Gave it a test run and it works great. Only noticed it on the pavement at full lock turn.

Haven't done anything since the spool, had a buddy move out of town for good so we threw down all weekend :cheers: .

The next step is to get it to pass VA inspection. A week or so ago the blinkers didn't blink for multiple days in a row and then all of a sudden they started working again yesterday. Any ideas as to why? And when I noticed that the blinkers worked again, the liscense plate light went out. Not sure if they are related or a coincedence. I'll be out of town all weekend this week so it'll be some time before I get to :wrench: again. Those lights and replacing the parking brake assembly are all that's left. Hopefully.

Update:

I bought a white 98 XJ thinking I would use it as a donor for a 97+ swap but I drove it home and realized that it was too nice to tear into. So I'm fixing up the Cherokee for the next couple weeks and going to sell it and hopefully make a profit and start my search over for a good donor for my MJ. I'm looking for a white 97+ for body pieces incl. doors and interior.

nice to see other people use glyptol too... hahaha

and JD......... :cheers:

:hmm: I'm not following you there

thats the red stuff painted inside your rear end housing. helps with oil flow in motors and heat also... :typing:

thats the red stuff painted inside your rear end housing. helps with oil flow in motors and heat also... :typing:

and the JD is for getting sloppy drunk whilst painting said red stuff....!!!!!!!! image_209027.gif

and the JD is for getting sloppy drunk whilst painting said red stuff....!!!!!!!! image_209027.gif

Ah now I understand :thumbsup: It's pretty sad. The off-white that has come through since the red is starting to peel actually looks pretty decent condition considering it's 25 years old. A real shame they ruined it. oh well

Ah now I understand :thumbsup: It's pretty sad. The off-white that has come through since the red is starting to peel actually looks pretty decent condition considering it's 25 years old. A real shame they ruined it. oh well

it will survive... mine is coming along very slowly, my welder has been sick lately and ive been waiting on him to do some welding for me, i did get my gas tank drop on today for my XJ tank and sending unit.... :ack:

I need to learn how to weld myself. I have a buddy that only lives a couple miles away do all mine but he just got a job a little over an hour away startin up in a week or so and will mostly be on my own. He already promised me to help me with my long arm build :thumbsup: so I won't be on my own for that at least.

Update on project:

Havent done much since buying that XJ. Been slowly doing the small things on that to resell it. However, last night I tested the 4wd that I just had fixed and slid down a hill in my woods into a tree :fs1: not too happy about it. Took the hatch off today and going to a JY to get a brand new used one tomorrow. Once that's back on and I finish up the other small things, shes gone. Been too much of a headache to keep it. And then finally I'll be back to the MJ.

• 1 month later...

Its been awhile since Ive done much. Got this Cherokee I'm fixing up and tryin to resell so that has taken priority. Anyways, about 2 weeks ago I picked up a roll bar and extra set of tail lights courtesy of ctrow:

jamminz.gif So thatll go on as soon as I get rid of the Cherokee and repaint the bar. Today, I went over to Elkton, VA to buy a rear bumper for said Cherokee and while I was waiting for it, I found myself looking through other Cherokees they had on the lot and got myself into some trouble :clapping: buying more stuff.

I'm now committed to the 97+ header panel conversion. Just need the rest of the panel. I'm guessing the headlights are the same?? :hmm:

I'm hoping to get the Cherokee sold within a month or two so I can really crack down on my manche, she needs some lovin too.

Just need the rest of the panel. I'm guessing the headlights are the same??

If you switch your existing headlight buckets from side to side they will work with the new header panel.

side to side like I switch the left bucket to the right side and vice versa?

• 6 months later...

Diggin the setup so far! How hard was it to tuck a 9" axle under there?

Thanks. It wasnt too bad. As soon as I got it, I cut off all the old mounts and smoothed the tube down, made all the measurements for the jeep, and welded on the new perches. I kept it regular width, so it's a little wide, but works for my setup. I also had a friend do the gears for me, hes a mechanic so knew what he was doing. Havent had any complaints. Other than not having time to really work on any part of the truck in months.

• 4 months later...

Well I can finally put the MJ back on top of the todo list. I sold the Cherokee yesterday and that was taking all of my manche's time. Now it's time to get the truck inspected so I can drive it around town. The list has a few things on it but not too terrible. The exhaust manifold has a leak which is the worst thing on the list. Needs wiper blades, rear plate moved and lit up, rear brakes need adjusting but not replaced, reverse lights, sway bar links fixed (I'm removing completely).

It's been a long year for the MJ waiting for my attention and I hope she doesn't remain angry at me.

• 4 weeks later...