Project "Phoenix"

Well ladies and gentlemen, here we go again. Since I started working on the Eliminator a couple years ago, my oldest son has been snooping, spying, and generally hanging around drooling at it. Hes 13 and since he will be driving in a few years, I've spent the last year or so asking him what he would like to drive. Naturally, he's dead set on an MJ (I trained him right). So we went on the hunt a while back and came across this little gem on craigslist sitting in some guys pasture...

A 1987 Comanche 2.5/stick/2WD

The owner showed me a level of cool I wasnt aware of. He dragged a chair from out of nowhere and had a seat

It's sporting the awesome pale blue interior and the limited edition rats nest in the glove box.

A killer guard heifer

I looked it over and found minimal rust. Floor seems in decent condition and nothing but surface rust on the body. It has a couple dented spots that will need some work (cab corner, bed corner) but nothing that will be insurmountable.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sat on the back burner until I had the Eliminator drivable. That is, until I came across a smoking deal on a '98 Cherokee that slid off the road and smacked into a tree backwards a couple days before Christmas. The same time I found it, I also found a deal on some nice polished Moabs.

CRUNCH!!!!

So, after getting the XJ back to the property as well as the wheels. He says the first order of business is get the craptastic steel wheels off hs truck and slap the Rubi ones on.

and me sneaking in the background

And just to keep it humble, here's a few shots of the body damage

The plans for this thing are to do the 97+ swap with the red donor, hunt down and put in every availible option we can think of (think limited model), a 2 inch budget boost, maybe some hell creek metric ton rear springs, BFG All Terrains and new paint. He's not sure what color he wants but its down to a dark gray and the mango tango for now. But who knows, that may change 5 times before it hits the paint shop.

Well Mike, here's your challenge: finish this one even faster than the last! Honestly, I can't believe how quickly yours came together even with your convenient work schedule. That looks like a perfect donor and I still say Mango Tango all the way. Looking forward to seeing this one come together!

Thats something my grandpa would do! That blue interior is pretty pimp :yes:

The blue interior is in great shape. I like the idea of it, but the first Comanche I owned (86 4cyl/auto/4x4) had that interior and I hated it! If anyone wants it, I will be happy to sell it to you. All of it will go.

Well Mike, here's your challenge: finish this one even faster than the last! Honestly, I can't believe how quickly yours came together even with your convenient work schedule. That looks like a perfect donor and I still say Mango Tango all the way. Looking forward to seeing this one come together!

Ryan, I'd love to take you up on that challenge, but my son and I made a deal. I provide the knowledge and expierence, and he does the work. We are going to go slow and by the numbers on it so he has a working knowledge of every part of it. our goal is that he will be able to diagnose and repair without help. We have 3 years to finish before he starts driving. That being said, I see this thing running under its own power before the years end. :D

Entertaining write-up :yes: . The XJ looked perfect until the last few shots. Good luck – Rich :cheers:

Rich, the pictures of the XJ are way more deceiving than that! The parts we'll use are in decent shape. But as a whole, the poor thing was rode hard and put up wet. It'll need quite a few nitpicky things like a new steering wheel(the leather is worn through on this one). It's high mileage, but the mechanicals are sound and its not throwing any check engine lights. All in all, it was a good deal considering what it would have cost to piece it all together.

Thanks for the responses and compliments guys :cheers: Keep them and your ideas coming! We're excited to dig in to this one and see where it ends up.

It sat on the back burner until I had the Eliminator drivable. That is, until I came across a smoking deal on a '99 Cherokee that slid off the road and smacked into a tree backwards a couple days before Christmas. The same time I found it, I also found a deal on some nice polished Moabs.

CRUNCH!!!!

u still have thoes wheels laying around i like em

Hey, did those Rubi wheels fit on the 87 Comanche without an adapter? I have an 89 Comanche, but I didn't think those style wheels would fit the stock bolt pattern I have (5X4.5")

Madmax

Yes, no adapter needed. The Moab wheels from Rubicons and Unlimited models up to 2005 still used the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. After that, they went to 5x5.

• 1 month later...

Well, we had a lucky run the the junkyard Friday. South Dallas had a '92 4.0/AW4/2WD/D35 sitting in it that was fairly untouched.

I was surprised it didnt have fuzzy dice and curb feelers on it! Either way, it donated the MJ specific gray interior, cab vents, and a set of near perfect tail lights. I was originally looking for the emergency brake pedal assembly but sadly, it was already gone. I am seriously considering going back after the tailgate which aside from the horrific paint job, is in perfect shape as well as the bed. It has what appears to be a brand new, perfect chrome FEY rear bumper if anyone is interested. I would have grabbed it myself but theres no plans for chrome bumpers on the Phoenix. Also, it has a headliner in it that looks to have been recovered recently.

Stopped at a few other yards as well and grabbed a couple goodies to complete the day. I gotta say, pickings were pretty slim as far as 97+ XJs in the DFW area. Folks need to blow more engines and get rid of them!

We may start stripping the interior today depending on weather and time.

I like purpose of this build, the reason behind it and the direction you will take it. This will be a fun build to watch. Subscribed!

Hey, did those Rubi wheels fit on the 87 Comanche without an adapter? I have an 89 Comanche, but I didn't think those style wheels would fit the stock bolt pattern I have (5X4.5")

Yes, no adapter needed. The Moab wheels from Rubicons and Unlimited models up to 2005 still used the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. After that, they went to 5x5.

Actually, the 2003-2006 Rubicon TJ's have 5x4.5 ;)

Actually, the 2003-2006 Rubicon TJ's have 5x4.5 ;)

Whoops....well there ya go! Thanks for the correction.

Do you need an e-brake pedal? I've got one if you need it.

Yes Ryan, hit me up back channel about it. Thanks a metric ton!

• 4 weeks later...

No real updates to offer as my son spent spring break at Winter Park instead of working on the Phoenix. (I know, where are his priorities?)

Only thing we can offer is some more parts hoarding pics for this thing.

V8 ZJ coils

WJ coil spring isolators

XJ Seats in the right color and in better shape

The stupid bracket between the console and the airbag module. (these things always seem to be broken)

And a straight driver side fender

Also, BIG PROPS to Jay (Comanche County) for finding and grabbing the seats, console, and fender. Also for helping me get the other stuff at his preferred yard. He is a top notch guy and really knows his stuff with MJs and Jeeps in general.

Few more parts collected

I shortened this console, but not as much as the one on the Eliminator. I was trying to retain enough room in it to fit the RKE reciever without putting it behind one of the doors. Maybe it'll work. :dunno: