Well i decided to start a build thread on this on going project. Its currently got a RE 6.5 lift, 34-9.50 tsl's, custom bumper i built, dana 44 rear, dana 30 hp non d/s front, aw4.

I'm swapping in a OM617 turbo diesel mated to a ax15.

Starting the tear down.

Pulling it apart.

Out with the old

the donor car

my ax15 and transfer case that i traded strait across for my aw4 :banana:

the bell housing and crank adapter.

new clutch mounted

drivers side motor mount

Passenger side motor mount

Drivers side Mount

Drivers side

drivers side

Working on the Passenger side mounts now.

That looks like the Mercedesdiesel4X4.com adapter kit, I'm doing one as well. Nice work with the engine mounts, interested in building another set? :wrench:
Yes it is his adapter kit he makes as well as the oil pan although i wish i would have done my own oil pan.

why do that to a 91 :hmm:
Something different and i like diesels.

Just throughout the build keep in mind I'm only 19 and doing the entire swap and fabrication entirely by myself. :thumbsup:

nothing against the swap, id love a diesel. just 91-92 had the HO and i can never find them around me. more specifacally the pump/sender
Yes the HO is harder to find but i havent had the best luck with the 4.0s since this 4.0 i took out isnt the original motor. And after the fuse block shorted out and caught fire i had to replace the whole underhood wiring harness i figured just tear it down and try something different.

I really like the project but why use a diesel that has 125hp and 180lb/ft of torque when the stock 4.0L has 190hp and 225lb/ft of torque? Is there much support for the Mercedes to make more power than stock or you just wanting better MPG's?

• 4 weeks later...

Havent got too much done lately have been busy with other projects and work but did get a new track bar made to clear the oil pan. I'm trying to figure out how carried away i want to get with the wiring as far as trying to rewire everything or just use a stock harness and make the thing run. New pitman arm is in the mail on the way to give me some more clearance for the oil pan.

New track bar installed

Well the few advantages i liked of this diesel was the overall size is very comparable to the 6cyl. They are know for running forever and parts availability is good because there are a ton of these old cars sitting in junk yards because no one really wants an old luxury car. And its a fully mechanical motor with no computers.

Love the project, but that track bar looks pretty scary. I would worry about it bending if you ever go off road with it. And it doesnt look like you could use a drop pitman, it might cause the track bar and drag link to go out of parallel and cause bumpsteer. I think if it were mine, I might go with a really beefy drop bracket for the track bar so it wasnt as bent, and THEN go with a drop pitman to line up the drag link to the track bar. Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work.

Love the project, but that track bar looks pretty scary. I would worry about it bending if you ever go off road with it. And it doesnt look like you could use a drop pitman, it might cause the track bar and drag link to go out of parallel and cause bumpsteer. I think if it were mine, I might go with a really beefy drop bracket for the track bar so it wasnt as bent, and THEN go with a drop pitman to line up the drag link to the track bar. Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work.

The aftermarket track bar i had on there was bent is the only reason i went with another bent one, although when i built it i bent it out of 1"OD 1/4" wall tubing so if i have a problem I will have to go stronger with chromoly tubing. and the track bar mount when i built the new track bar the frame mount i dropped it down so i can run a drop pitman arm and not get bumpsteer