1989 Short Box Comanche "Manche"

I have had this truck for about 4 years now. It was originally a tired maroon 4 cylinder 2wd truck. I am not big into taking alot of pictures as I did stuff so I really don't have any past pictures of the truck. As it sits now it is a SOA in the rear with the stock D35 with an aussie locker, 3.73 gears. The axle has a replacement when it does crap out. I am not a hardcore rockcrawler but this axle has survived 35's and alot of abuse. Anything will break it if you push it wrong. The front has adjustable upper and lower control arms and control arm drops. My front control arms are now back to being almost parallel with the frame, and the ride and driving characteristics are greatly improved. The drivetrain was swapped 3 years ago to a carbed SBC 350, 700R4. I am not a diehard chevy or ford guy, I just liked the reliabilty, availability of cheap replacement parts. When this engine craps out an LS1 will be its replacement. Custom front and rear bumpers, custom built cowl hood. That is most of it. It is a work in progress.

A-piller lights. And a custom light bar. Mounts are done and functional, but need tweaking this spring when it's warm to look better. Hasty welding job :dunno: Where the A-piller lights are located they are right in the line of sight of the a-piller and not imparing vision.

The roof lights are an XJ cargo rack. Not my original idea but inspired by a CC member. Here is how it is mounted, as to be removable for serious trails. The wiring is not complete in these pictures.

nice hood i want it. did u cut it, space it up then weld in the filler plate or how did u do it?? also what brand is that canopy?

Yeah I cut the body line on the side and back, and cut new side and back panels and burned them in. The glue between the sheetmetal and the bracing was a bear to seperate. I think it looks better being full length and not all the step ups of the store bought ones. The canopy is a Guidon Renegade 2.

Hey, I like the hood too! How did the chevy engine fit, did you use manifolds or headers? and what about the radiator? Looks awesum

The engine itself went in fairly easy. Fabbing some of the linkages and brackets at the time was the only real time consuming areas. There is alot more aftermarket parts now to make this swap easier. The radiator is a custom aluminum 2 core that is close to the factory 4.0 rad with dual electric fans. In the summer when it gets above 90 I have issues with overheating on the trail. This spring a bigger overall capacity radiator is going in. I used the stock manifolds, but opened them up to get them to flow as well as I could. I tried different block hugger headers, but couldn't find a set that fit mine without notching the frame, which wasn't worth it too me.