My MJ project blog

Here is the current state with a 2" lift and 31"s

Gonna lift it another inch and put some newer 31" BFG ATs and basically do a restore. My father bought it new in 91 and we have had it in the family since. Now if I could just get the brakes to work better!

Here are a few pics on my last project- 1994 ZJ with 9" and HP44 on 36" swampers. Sold it last year so we could buy a VW Eurovan.

Nathan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my question is why would u trade that grand for something boring like a eurovan

family priorities. we had twins and the grand was getting small and not being used much. not much time for wheelin so it just sat there. i can always build something else, that is the fun part anyways.

nathan

family priorities. we had twins and the grand was getting small and not being used much. not much time for wheelin so it just sat there. i can always build something else, that is the fun part anyways.

nathan

if i were to buy any van it would be a 4wd econoline with a powerstroke and i would wheel moab

nathan

if i were to buy any van it would be a 4wd econoline with a powerstroke and i would wheel moab

yeah but my families comfort is more important than my wheelin needs. my offroading is consisting of downhill mountain biking these days and the mj is the perfect shuttle truck.

you never know how the mj will end up though :D

nathan

• 2 weeks later...

well now that i have the brakes figured out, time to start the rest of stuff. need to fix the wiper linkage to keep it from hitting the bottom of the windshield and then stop up 4" on the window. anyone know where to get the plastic sockets on the linkage?

then i will replace the door rubber mouldings and headliner and do some spray in bedliner.

then will come 1-2" more of lift and some 31" bfg at's or toyo mt's. i'll kep you updated!

nathan

well, got a lot done this weekend. the factory exhaust manifold had the standard crack at the collector welds so i picked up a banks header copy from apn for $140 shipped including the gaskets. i ordered it wed and it showed up friday! figured if i am replacing the exhaust mani i might as well replace the motor mounts to help keep the new mani from cracking. i also replaced the leaky valve cover gasket. while it was off, i cleaned out all of the sludge on the inside and in the breather holes. man was it plugged! the inside was bad as was the intake runners. fully cleaned out the intake and throttle body as well as the intake holes in the head. changed the oil cause the filter body has to be moved to replace the passenger side motor mount. i did manage to crack the heater valve in the process (it was very brittle) and will replace it after christmas. oh i also rebuilt the wiper linkage. busy day!

next is the spray in bedliner coolant hoses.

nathan

• 2 weeks later...

well picked up the 8.8 today. 3.73's with limited slip, drum brakes for $125 with less than 100K on it. also got the ubolts and plates. forgot to grab the ujoint adaptor :oops:

next is the front d30 to match. the jy had no hp30s with 3.73s today.

new brakes!

gonna buy the spring perches next week and have spacers on the way. if i can't find a decent front axle, i will just regear the one i have. still piecing together the lift and will most likely just make my own front control arms and just buy springs. i will keep you updated!

nathan

the one in puyallup in march. saving money now jamminz.gif

nathan

Do they happen to take credit cards at this swap meet?

Where in OR are you from?

Some of the vendors take CCs but the regular guys are cash only.

I live in Hillsboro, just nw of Portland. It is a big event.

anyone have a d30 with 3.73s in it they want to get rid of?

Nathan

I am not 100% but its a late 80s out of a XJ. And one thing in the pic that threw me off was the Diff cover....on the ones I have seen it has had a lip around it and yours seems to not have it and is more rounded. Maybe its because its a drum brake on I think all the ones I have seen have been disk....

Cole