This is what a 350 looks like in a comanche.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is better than it was. I just installed a SPAL 16" HP fan, and I run purple ice in the coolant. That purple ice is really good stuff I recomend it even if you don't have cooling issues. Anyway I also picked up an aluminum core radiator to replace the copper core sometime soon. But as soon as the racing shop I work for gets some time I am gonna have one (radiator) made just for a V8 comanche.

Wow, that thing sits in there pretty good! Did you put it in or was it already there when you got it? When I put my 360 in I either didn't lower it enough or it's taller than a 350 because I can't even close the hood. Just out of curiousity, what's the application for the top radiator hose? I'm having a hard time finding one to fit my truck now. Also, what's the price on a custom made radiator? I'd love an all aluminum raditor for my MJ. 8)

As for the radiator hose I can't remember right now, I'll have to go through my notes. But the way I got the motor to sit as low as I did was Allstar circle track solid motor mounts. They drop the motor a couple of inches. Circle track guys use these to lower the geometry of their race cars. As for traction assist in the rear, I have a minispool helping me out on that end. I almost forgot I don't need any special tools to change my spark plugs either just my two hands and a short extention. Gotta love it when things work out better than you planned.

hey i have a few questions hows the clerance in the front with the radiator

I'm gonna go with a custom radiator to fit in the stock spot but its 4 core it hurt the wallet and dual fan but I'm going to have manafold clearance problems any suggestions thats the only hang up i've hit so far stock ones won't fit hit my chevy leafs i converted in the front

I had to cut the header panel where the radiator mounts and move it foreward two inches and down about an inch and a half. And I still only have about two inches seperating the radiator and the water pump pulley. As for motor mounts I used Allstar Performance circle track solid mounts, but I can't remember the part number they shouldn't be too hard to track down. And they use the stock mounting positions too.

Here is my 350cid Chevy V8 project

http://hometown.aol.com/husky410ohio/my ... /auto.html

Click the link on my webpage to see the engine in the truck. I have a lot more work to go. I am not sure how to get a radiator to fit. I also want to rebuild the NP231 and put a wide chain in it and a 23 spline input shaft to mate to the SM465 trans. Do you have any more pics? I don't have exhaust headers yet and not sure if any block hugger header can fit so the pipes clear the starter, front axle, motor mount and upper control arms.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

I put a Superlift 3" in mine I purchased from Tyres International

http://www.tyres1.com

I would have liked more lift but I am trying to control my budget and this lift was easy and cheap. I needed new coil springs, shocks and brake hoses anyway. The new coils are not much longer than the original springs but are heavier-thicker diameter wire and I think you need this for the added engine weight. I will try to get more pics from under so you can see the oil pan and axle clearance next week. The actual increase I measured in front was exactly 2" with this lift.

I looked at your pics and my advice would be to remove the clutch fan from the motor, and unless you are planning on a cowl hood or some kind of scoop that intake is gonna be too tall. Mine barely fits and it is a stock piece. I also had to find a low profile stock air cleaner from a mid 70's corvette.

Showoff! :rotf: :laughin: Just kidding man, they both look real good to me.

hey anything under the hood looks good as long as you keep them clean and neat. but anything under the hood has to be better then a certain V6 AMC used in the 80s. lol. na it does really well for me but i like any big engine in an MJ. if i can ever find a running Jeep 401 i am going to put in one someday.

Alex

Showoff! :rotf: :laughin: Just kidding man, they both look real good to me.

hey anything under the hood looks good as long as you keep them clean and neat. but anything under the hood has to be better then a certain V6 AMC used in the 80s. lol. na it does really well for me but i like any big engine in an MJ. if i can ever find a running Jeep 401 i am going to put in one someday.

Alex

Gee thanks. :roll: LOL. A 401 in a MJ, now there's something I'd like to see. Wasn't there someone here that was doing or has a dodge 360 in one? Or was that somewhere else I remember seeing it? Man my memory is bad these days.

Gee thanks. :roll: LOL. A 401 in a MJ, now there's something I'd like to see. Wasn't there someone here that was doing or has a dodge 360 in one? Or was that somewhere else I remember seeing it? Man my memory is bad these days.

I have a Jeep 360 in my MJ and I know where there might be a 401. :D 8)

Ya know you could have gone with the Buick 350. 100-125 lbs lighter and the dizzy is in the front. Lots of torque and on pump gas.

With thanks from the following urls

http://www.241computers.com/ford/ContentExpress20-30-38.html

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/engine/index.html#buick

1970 Buick 350 450lbs

H.P.

260 350 9.00:1 2 Roch

285 350 9.00:1 4 Roch

315 350 10.25:1 4 Roch

1970 Chevy 350 575lbs

H.P.

250 350 9.00:1 2 Roch

300 350 10.25:1 4 Roch

Others were available, but these were mostly Vettes

350 350 11.00:1 4 Roch

360 350 11.00:1 4 Holl

370 350 11.00:1 4 Holl

Wayne S

I have a Jeep 360 in my MJ and I know where there might be a 401. :D 8)

too bad I'm broke right now or else i would ask if this 401 is for sale. lol.

Alex