Project MJ

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the new rims. Looks like a nice truck. Did the Quad come with it :brows:

Thanks Looks can be deceiving lol, actually the quad was a bonus from my boss for 15 yrs working with him, he had it but didnt ride it for 5 yrs so he let me take it I know nice boss.

Today I bought the rest of the exhaust pipe I needed installed it so from manifold to tail pipe is new, new shocks, 1 took 2 hrs to replace bolts were destroyed. Picked up 1 gallon of primer getting ready to sand down the bad spots then during the week hoping to get it primed. Still lots of under carriage work to do as long as funds allow it I'm doing little by little.

got bored so I went to my XJ and took off the front receiver hitch and winch and sway bar, as you can see the front end is extremely rusty but believe it or not the bolts all come out easy unlike my XJ broke 4 out of 6 bolts oops. I didn't change the sway bar yet ordered all new parts a few minutes ago.

What is the best way to cut my fenders, I don't have that many tools and where abouts should I cut it at the bend? and how about the back of the fender any cutting or modifying to be done? I looked at some pics in the mexican mj thread so I have an idea where to cut. also what do I do with that little tray behind the bumper. Body work is not my thing but I do have 2 fenders that are junk to practice on first.

Tore the fenders off yesterday, cut fenders, found so much more rust under the flares I ground it all down primed the bare metal now I decided to strip the clear coat and paint and start with clean metal, just bought new cup gun, I'm a house painter and do spray houses but I know spraying body panels is different so thank god for junk panels practice and see how it looks. I do not know what color to go with some thing in the orange line but it has to stand out and not a common orange color,

I saw a few I liked but do not know the names or code # What I decide will be on a black primer, as painters know the primer will make a difference in the color dark primer deeper darker look, lighter primer lightens the color look especially with candy/pearl paints.

I took pics of work I did but batteries died so will post pics this weekend.

As long as the rain holds off I am going to start tearing the front axle out, might need to hold off until my brothers race car moved out of the garage thing. I decided to use spacers up front 2-3" and shackels out back (since there rotting away might as well). Is there a shackle out there that can be used as stock up to 3" or not I can not find one.

Started sanding the fenders, I need to buy a sand blaster but no funds so slow going with power tools, I found more rust under the tight paint, I am pricing new fenders tomorrow not sure what to do yet. I also found a color I'm getting mixed atm when the rain lets up I will prime and paint the junk fender to see how it comes out and looks.

Pics coming shortly camera needs batteries keep forgetting to buy them.

Before any one says you forgot to remove the stripes I know my heat gun died after I did one fender, no funds till the weekend to buy one. I sanded for 4 hours today had a lot of clear coat that flaked the hood took 2.5 hrs alone that flaking clear coat had primer on it so made it harder to sand out, I put a good base coat down have to work on some spots tape missed and re do the hood many dead bugs in primer lol, bolt fenders back on, pull hood tomorrow and clean the inside and prime, prime the header piece door jams and bed, I am not sure if I'm going to paint the Rhino liner black again or not so I primed it for now easy enough to tape and paint. Here are some pics of recent work.

By the way this is my dog Nikita and she decided to chase a ground hog under my manch and didn't duck in time caught the tail pipe in her face. She missed that ground hog but got its sibling yesterday.

This dam rain is killing me, this week looks like a wash out for work (house painter) and as for painting the MJ it's out, when will the rain let up so I can actually make money and spend it on this rig, one good week of work I can spend a good bit of cash and maybe get it road ready. Tomorrow rain or shine I'm doing some sanding to the header panel and prepping the doors from the XJ parts rig.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a nice weekend, I enclosed my brothers garage thingy for my spray booth, while poking around I found water under my rug, not soaked but wet so I gutted the interior to see if I had rotted floors and was completely amazed at what they looked like, very little rust missing a drain plug, can't find the leak, so I then decided to run my stereo system, I am going to put my amp, cross over, cd changer and fuse block on the ply wood, I already installed my Boston Acoustic 4x6 plate speakers and 6 1/2" Audio Bahn, next is the tweeters and a set of 5 1/4, I have 2 choices either 2-12" subs or 2- 6 1/2" Bazooka Bass tubes.

This week I am taking the front end off for the 5th time, this time it's to trim the fenders also to fix that trim panel under the wipers not sure what it's called, taking the doors off to repair the bottom edge before it starts rotting.

I am sure not trying to poke fun at your truck, but I have forgot what all that rust looks like, I grew up in Detroit and worked at a auto salvage yard for 10 years a while ago, Pete probably even know the one I worked at but I had forgot what the bottom of a rust belt vehicle looks like, I guess I have been spoiled in Tennesse. I changed front springs not to long ago and the ones off my 89 still had the rubber coating on them. I will say I don't miss the rust. I really am not dis-respecting your rig.

This week I am taking the front end off for the 5th time, this time it's to trim the fenders also to fix that trim panel under the wipers not sure what it's called, taking the doors off to repair the bottom edge before it starts rotting.

I am sure not trying to poke fun at your truck, but I have forgot what all that rust looks like, I grew up in Detroit and worked at a auto salvage yard for 10 years a while ago, Pete probably even know the one I worked at but I had forgot what the bottom of a rust belt vehicle looks like, I guess I have been spoiled in Tennesse. I changed front springs not to long ago and the ones off my 89 still had the rubber coating on them. I will say I don't miss the rust. I really am not dis-respecting your rig.

Trust me I wish I was in a rust free environment lol, every time I think I got all the rust/rot I find more, I'm to the point now I'm pulling my hair out. Oh well at least I can take my time re building the MJ.

Trust me I wish I was in a rust free environment lol, every time I think I got all the rust/rot I find more, I'm to the point now I'm pulling my hair out. Oh well at least I can take my time re building the MJ.

By the pics I have looked at you are doing a fine job. I actually was on another site that you were on and followed your link and those pics was the first thing I seen. Good looking truck you have there.

i'm sure you know those zooks will perform better pointed towards the cab corners? ;)

I know they will I just threw them in to see how they looked, but also turned towards the corners I am aiming at a set of 4x6 speakers I am not sure if I will use 1 or 2 Zooks. Would love to install my 12" subs but no wheres near enough room.

wow man i have never seen so much rust in my life. did you have this thing parked in the ocean?

Really? That's constructive criticism. It's not my truck and for some reason that comment bothers me. As Comanche Club President, I would like to apologize to you, driverdave, for the comments that were made by oregonman. Neither you or your MJ deserved it. Keep working at it, you are doing a great job! :thumbsup: