LS1 MJ PROJECT... UPDATE!!!!!!!

I was wondering about the LS1 F-body style long tubes.

It seems like one of the main problems with these motor swaps comes down to getting a header that fits. But The SLP long tubes could not have fit any close to the block on my camaro, so maybe this swap would be easier than a strait 350 swap.

What is he doing for gauges, and what transmission is he running. I am assuming that it is not a T-56. Other than that it looks great. This has been on my list of things to do for some time. In fact, when I had said camaro I was always kind of hoping that someone would hit it hard enough to total loss it so I could snatch the drivetrain and electronics.

I didnt even know AMC 20's were offered in the mj. Learn something new everyday. As far as I know, though, all AMC 20's, while having quite beefy ring and pinions, have very flexible housings.

So is this the same 20 that was offered in the Waggy?

I didnt even know AMC 20's were offered in the mj. Learn something new everyday. As far as I know, though, all AMC 20's, while having quite beefy ring and pinions, have very flexible housings.

Seems you are mis-informed. The AMC20 axles are great, tough axles. The CJ versions were weak until the one piece conversion was done, but then they can easily handle the power of a big V-8. The Waggy 20 is definitley the best of them with the strongest housing and one piece stock.

I have never heard the AMC 20 referred to as a great tough axle. :huh???: A 78/79 Ford hp60, a Gm corporate ff 14 bolt, are "great, tough axles." The 20 has a notoriously weak and flexible housing. But to each their own, I'm sure the 20 is sufficient if you run a small enough tire. In my 20 years of offroading, i've never once heard of the 20 as a great, tough axle. I know the ring and pinion are beefy, I also know the cj units with the 2 piece shafts are less desirable and more weak than the waggy units. Hell, I had a amc 20 under a cj-7, it held up just find with the 4 cylinder... :D But that sure as hell wouldnt be my axle of choice behind an LT1. :hmm:

Some more amc 20 info, http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... ndex1.html , my favorite line in that one, "the amc 20 is marginal in a stock application.

And some amc 20 tech, also describing its tendency to flex, http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... index.html .

Great and tough, i don't think so. Adequate for a smallish tire, semi trailed rig, absolutely.

Seems you are mis-informed. The AMC20 axles are great, tough axles. The CJ versions were weak until the one piece conversion was done, but then they can easily handle the power of a big V-8. The Waggy 20 is definitley the best of them with the strongest housing and one piece stock.

In my humble opinion, the AMC 20 is quite under-rated. It's gotten a bad wrap from the CJ 2-piece shafts, and the ginormous weight of the Waggys (5k+ with passengers) sitting on them. The MJ has neither of those drawbacks. :D

I would tend to agree it is an underrated rear end. I would just wonder why on an MJ with such a beautiful suspension and such a great powerplant, they would stuff a 20 back there. There are so many better choices that would be a better match to the suspension, HP combo that beast is going to have. I would at least truss it, the weakness is in the flexibility of the housing. Trussed, it may likely last forever. Good luck anyhow on a sweet looking rig! jamminz.gif

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...