88 Comanche going to 3.2L turbo diesel

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

then i had brand new sheet metal bent to make new bed sides at a local metal shop.

then i took a trip home to vermont and a buddy was junking a 78 ford bronco and told me i could have it for hauling it out of his yard. so i thought i would keep the axles for this project, i keptthe radius arms too. so the wife and i drove back to pennsylvania from vermont with a ford nine inch a dana 44 and the radius arms in the back of her jeep liberty.

Very cool project & very ambitious, but looks quite clear that you have the skills! I couldn't do all that, that's for sure LOL.

Like Pong, I am curious what you are going to do with the scout? Were there other major issues with it? Seems like that could have been a pretty cool rig on its own, certainly what I would consider "rare".

Very cool project & very ambitious, but looks quite clear that you have the skills! I couldn't do all that, that's for sure LOL.

Like Pong, I am curious what you are going to do with the scout? Were there other major issues with it? Seems like that could have been a pretty cool rig on its own, certainly what I would consider "rare".

That scout is definately what I would consider "RARE". Especially considering most rusted away to nothing in a few short yrs. That and the Diesel option was rare in its own right.. not too many were built. Plus it has the truck cab on it instead of the long topper.

Only thing I have to say is fully boxed frame with a d44 front and rear.. and it would make an awesome start to a buggy/truggy. As long as you kept the weight down

That scout is definately what I would consider "RARE". Especially considering most rusted away to nothing in a few short yrs. That and the Diesel option was rare in its own right.. not too many were built. Plus it has the truck cab on it instead of the long topper.

Only thing I have to say is fully boxed frame with a d44 front and rear.. and it would make an awesome start to a buggy/truggy. As long as you kept the weight down

:rotfl2: Damn Pong, can't you leave anything on 4 wheels in even it's semi-natural state w/out turning it into a a truggy?

There was one of those Scout pickups for sale near here recently that had been fixed/cleanued up nicely. Didn't see it in person, but looked nice in the Trader. Sky blue with white top, 33's on chrome wheels, 360 V8, I think they were asking $11k for it though LOL.

the scout frame is rotten beyond repair and the body is in a lot worse shape then it looks in the pictures. it came out of florida right off the coast, so the salt air got to it pretty bad.

but everything that is salvagable is up for sale. ie...the axles, fiberglass top, the seats aren't too bad. and other parts that anyone needs just let me know.

i decided that i want a cowl induction hood, so time to cut up the factory hood and see what i can come up with.

i started by cutting 2 inches in from the side body line in the hood and just used a broom handle and and pulled it to the front evenly on both sides to get the look i want.

I really like how you did the hood. I would have made the raised part a lil narrower, but that is me personally.

ANd Wahoo :no: Most scouts are way beyond body repair, but the frames ussually stay good. That being said the frames are made out of boxed tubing 1/4 thick. There is a junkyard right up the road from where I live that has about 15 of them in there.. Including an ambulance IH.

I really like how you did the hood. I would have made the raised part a lil narrower, but that is me personally.

ANd Wahoo :no: Most scouts are way beyond body repair, but the frames ussually stay good. That being said the frames are made out of boxed tubing 1/4 thick. There is a junkyard right up the road from where I live that has about 15 of them in there.. Including an ambulance IH.

Good to know! I've always liked the uniqueness of the Scout pickups. What is the factory name again? Carryall or something? Or was that their Suburban? I've got an older friend who has 64? regular Scout with the 1/2 cab, and I think and I might be able to wrestle it away from him in a few years :brows:

**Justin, sorry for the highjack, so back to your killer build project.

• 2 weeks later...