newb and my $400 mj

:USAflag: howdy all. i have been lurking on here for a little while with hopes of getting a mj, it today i hit pay dirt. i pickup an '86 lwb 4cyl, 4 spd, 4x4. it is a retired U.S. navy plow truck with 38,099 miles! the gentleman i bought it from used it very little but put alot of work into it, new fuel tank and pump, new water pump, rebuilt transmission, and had the seat and headliner re-covered. i bought this little jem for $400! because it has a blown head gasket. it also has a horrible vaccum leak, but i did drive it onto the trailer. here are some pics i snapped with my phone, i will get some better ones this week.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

:USAflag: first off is to get it running right. i have a 2" spacer kit for the front so i can run 31s on both ends. (right now it has 31s on the back and 30s on the front :???: ) then i will address the body, the drive floor board is rusted thru but that is all the rust i've found yet, and some kind of paint. i could do the rustoleum trick i did on my wagoneer:

Image Not Found

(no one ever belives i painted it with rustoleum and a roller, so i always post a picture)

or i might buy one of those camo wrap decals, haven't decided yet. i plan on putting a 4.5" lift on it, but keeping the 31s cuase it's going to be a daily driver. and i will probabaly put a locker or limted slip in the rear so i can have some more fun on the trails. i'm sure it will end up with bumpers and sliders as well.

this is my first MJ or XJ, we've had a couple XJs in the family that see some mild trail use and i think i will stick with that. my last toy was a 'yota that i built up, but i took it to far for what i want

Image Not Found

so i plan on keeping to the K.I.S.S. principal with this one. and it seems i have come to the right place. i know i will have way to many questions to ask, so i thank you all in adavnce for your help

i called the local napa yesterday, they deal with a well know local machine shop, and quoted me $220 to researface the head and do a valve job. $56 for a head gasket kit. the power steering pump is making a lot of noise too, but i hope it is just low on fluid. hopefully i can get time to remove the head this weekend.

i took some real pics today as well:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

so i did a compression test on the 2.5 and found:

#1) 75 psi

#2) 72 psi

#3) 70 psi

#4) 79 psi

then i rechecked each hole with a small amount of oil poured down cylinder

#1) 125 psi

#2) 130 psi

#3) 100 psi

#4) 180 psi

:wall:

from my experience this means the rings are not sealing properly. the truck had a overheating problem and a horrible amount of blow-by, you can see the oil covering the engine and possibly see how the PCV valves are silconed into the valve cover:

Image Not Found

also the air filter reminded me of an oil bath type from a tractor :yes:

so i proceded to tear the engine down and i did find a blown head gasket:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

but i am worried about the bottom end. and since i am going to swap a 4.0 in eventually, I'm thinking a may just do it now.

option #1)

there is a '94 XJ on the local craigslist with a 4.0 H.O. and i assume its an auto. it was posted about a month ago so i don't know if it's still available ( i will call in the a.m.) . the ad said it's wrecked but it runs and will drive onto a trailer $250

option #2)

i friend's brother has a '88 XJ wagoneer ( i luv the quad headlights :banana: ) 4.0 with a pretty dam fresh auto tranny. I'm told it could be had for about $300. but it might also have a blown head gasket :headpop:. if that's true i will probably pass on this one.

option #3) fix the 2.5L

any suggestions??

Nice findand welcome to the addiction.

I hope when I bring home the 91 that I picked up for that price that the engine is not bad.

If you are going to change the engine to 4.0l you need all the wire's to go with it. myself I always said, Self if you have to change from a 4cyl to a 6cyl just put in a chev 350 or a rustang 5.0l. have to change the wire's anyway.

I had a 454 in a XJ and it was not that hard to do. my buddie put a 350 with a blower in a yj and no changed it for a 454.

actualy gets better milage then the 6cyl did.

just my 2 cents

If you do, find a better transmission. He blew up 3 or 4 AX5s with that engine.

and now an ax5 rebuild only takes me 3 to 5 hours depending on whether I have to tear apart multiple transmissions for parts, or if I have the parts in my ever-growing ax5 parts pile...

not to mention the 4 dana 35's It's eaten through...the last of which shot teeth through the diff cover.... :clapping:

IT'S ALIVE!!! heck yes, i fired it up about 9:00 last night. :jump: i found that my brake booster is my worst vaccum leak, probably has something to do with the brake fluid that is running down the front of it. but the engine sounds good.

i traded my street tread 31x10.50s and aluminum wheels to my dad for a set of factory steel 5 spokes and 235-75 cooper ST tires that have about 3k miles on them jamminz.gif . dad likes my wheels, i like dad's tires, everyone wins.

also i started buffing the paint :ack: . that sux. i spent a half hour on one half of the hood and it does't look much better.

i will take some more pics when it's outta the garage.

:banana:

progress pics:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

before budget boost:

Image Not Found

after:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

also, look at them new treads :brows: . 235/75-15 cooper discoverer s/t. we put a 3" rough country stage II on dad's XJ this weekend, he now has the clearence for 31s and he liked the aluminum wheels better than me. i like the more agressive coopers and steel wheels, and they will treat my 2.5L better. so everyony wins.

i will have to take a pic of the XJ, it looks pretty good.

well it has been a good, long weekend. i finished assembling the exhaust and front suspenstion thursday nite and friday. then i added my add-a-leafs to the rear on saturday, add took the truck out for it's first test drive :cheers: . all went well. i do have some steering issues to deal with, i think i need tie rod ends, ball joints, or both. i will find out more this week. i forgot how much it sux driving a truck with no radio, but i guess that it's a good thing as i am listening for strage noises and such. i noticed the worst noise i have is the plastic trim piece directly below the rear window, that thing is obnoxious as hell :headpop: .

i have put about 75 miles on the truck now, all it is running better and better. i still have excessive blow-by but i found a band-aid for this problem, i routed my PCV hoses directly into the base of the throttle body. plenty of un-used ports since the de-smogging.

i also tested the 4x4 and low range out today, they work fine. here are some pics.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

and a couple of dad's XJ with the 3" kit installed, i think it turned out good but now i'm gonna have to get a 4.5" kit :yes:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found