Project "Onyx"

I made the trip today to pick up my MJ.

Ladies and gentlmen say hello to "Onyx"

I got the truck for $400. She is a 89, 4.0, AW4, 2WD, short box. It runs really good but starts slipping in overdrive after about 10 miles. It also sounds like it has a REALLY bad rod knock but it goes away when you rev it up. I think it may be a bad torque converter or a cracked flex plate. We'll see when I drop the trans.

The truck is strait as an arrow and rust free!

The only damage so far is the tail gate and the rear bumper.

Inside she has the factory buckets with a couple small tears in them.

Full gauges

Look like 89 period correct floor mats

and the stock Jeep radio

And in the bed was this piece of history. It is a Headman spit exhaust header for I think a 258. I am not sure but it is cool!

Future plans call for a V8 swap, 4WD conversion, 6" lift, 33's, new paint and decals, and more bling than you know what to do with!

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minus the cargo light and tape deck on yours, they are twins! Wow, really cool.

Time for you to get busy and re-produce some stripes for the lower body and tail gates!

:bowdown:

I don't think I'm going back with the strips man... There a B!TCH to remove too, and another difference in our trucks are the transmissions.. I have that crappy one, the BA-10 5spd puke.. They call it a puke because thats what mine does is pukes... Pukes oil out like a valley girl on a cruise ship!! I need to update my build thread; I've done lots to it in the past few.. I put in a CD player, woodgrain dash double booster, lots of stuff..... TO MUCH stuff (but not enough)!!!! lol

Over the last few days I have slowly been ripping into Onyx. I got the complet front end pulled.

gutted the doors, minus the lock rods because they are a PIA to remember how they go back in!

pulled the back slider, it leaked and the drivers side glass was replaced with plexy glass.

I found my source of my wet carpet. No rubber snot and rust blistering on the window frame.

Which caused the floors to start to rust. Good thing I caught when I did!

I also got 99% of the interior out. THe dash was cracked so it needed to be replaced anyhow.

I also got the tailgate. taillights, wiring, and bumper pulled.

The aftermath in the spare room!

The bad part is most of this stuff will not go back into the truck. I am debating a 97+ clip and a cowl hood. I am also replacing the buckets with a bench when I find one that is. We'll see as the project comes together.

And JT, if we both buy from him if he wants we could meet up and both head down there in our MJ's. cause u gotta go right by me to get to GA :D

Deal. All's I really need is the drivers fender, grill/hl doors.

lol... look at us already making plans to go to GA for things we don't even know will be for sale!!!! haha

My twin!!!!!!!!!!!

Image Not Found

Hello thar, I spy a 91+ 300zx in the background.....

Its a convertible twin too!! :D

yea, I need door pannels, dash, bucket seats, sunvisors/clips, and once i get to lookin better at my comanche, who knows what else i will find observer

I know all to well what your saying....

Well maybe shelbyluv will let us know his plans for the extra parts.. :popcorn:

yea, I need door pannels, dash, bucket seats, sunvisors/clips, and once i get to lookin better at my comanche, who knows what else i will find observer

I know all to well what your saying....

Well maybe shelbyluv will let us know his plans for the extra parts.. :popcorn:

And yet we still don't know about the sale, lol. I only have one seat i crossed from an XJ. Don't sound too good through turns. My dash is cracked, and well my passenger door panel is water damaged way too bad and the handle is broken....as for the drivers side....its fine :D . I just need to hurry up and get the money for the M715 I saw

• 2 weeks later...

...it's okay. you'll hate me when I point out that those are probably 5 on 5 bolt pattern jamminz.gif

may wanna check them. if they're off anything after 2005, chances are they're not the correct bolt pattern.

the wheel adapters would be something like $150 shipped at the cheapest.

Pete, I did not even know the guy. $175 even, no favors!

...it's okay. you'll hate me when I point out that those are probably 5 on 5 bolt pattern jamminz.gif

may wanna check them. if they're off anything after 2005, chances are they're not the correct bolt pattern.

the wheel adapters would be something like $150 shipped at the cheapest.

This ain't my first rodeo. They are off a 05 Rubicon Unlimited (LJ). They are the correct 5x4.50 pattern. I would have bought them if the were 5x5 too. I would have put them on my WJ.

Dude... thats a super straight up crack head deal there,, some poor sap woke up and found his 05 Rubi on blocks that morning... I like those kinda deals!!! I made the mistake of buying the newer Moab wheels, got them cheap fortunately I made a little on the turn around........

• 2 months later...

I finally got my top secret project 95% complete. I took the overhead console out of my 97 parts rig and modified it for use in the MJ.

I basically cut 10 inches out of it and pieced it back together with a lot of Gorilla Glue, heat, JB Quik, and plastic weld. It is a total PIA! I do not ever want to do it again. It took me about 3 hours a day for a week to get it to this point.

The only thing I have left to do is get it covered in the same color material that I will be using for the headliner and visors. I am waiting to install the 97 dash before I do the visors and what not to get the best color match.

Here are some pics.

Yesterday was my birthday so my wife ordered me these with a little help from me.