The Jeep JT concept......a new truck on the horizon?

ComancheKid45

I'm sorry, you can not count this thing as a "truck". On a real truck the bed is separate from the cab. This is nothing more then an updated Scrambler CJ-8 and I will not buy into it. I want a hardcore Jeep pickup. I live on a farm and need a real truck, not something that is one body. Once Chrysler became their own again they said to watch for some of the concepts of the past few years that got great public reaction to come out in the future. So I am still praying for the Gladiator with a Cummins or the very least a Hemi. THEN we have a true truck on our hands again. :cheers:

Alex

if you want a hardcore pickup then why are you so set up on the gladiator concept? I'm taken to understand that a real truck also has a tough frame that's built to support the rest of the vehicle, rather than just scrambled together from spare TJ platforms.

if you want a hardcore pickup then why are you so set up on the gladiator concept? I'm taken to understand that a real truck also has a tough frame that's built to support the rest of the vehicle, rather than just scrambled together from spare TJ platforms.

Hey, I just want a Jeep pickup thats real and new. I'm not looking for some heavy duty 2500 or whatever. I mean, if my MJ can pull around gravity wagons, the Gladiator can do it too if it had a real engine.

There is no other truck out there right now that I would buy. They have all been played out to the market of people that want a truck just to have one. Most are basically cars. I want real axles and Something that looks sharp. I refuse to buy GM or Ford, and that leaves me with Dodge which I just don't like after what they have pulled behind the sense with Jeep over the years. They stick a Cummins in that Glad and it will do what I need it to do and then some.

Alex

I'm sorry, you can not count this thing as a "truck". On a real truck the bed is separate from the cab.

I'm sorry but I cannot let this slide. Ford made for (I believe) 2 years an F-100 that had the cab and bed blended as one, and it was most definitely a truck.

0306CL_JONES02z.jpg

Come on, look at the age of that thing. That was back when a truck was a truck no matter how it looked or who made it. Today trucks are all cars, and I am just talking trucks in general. Lets not get down into "but what about the HD 2500s or F-350s or whatever else is out there". I am sure if Jeep ever did come out with anything along the truck lines there would be one class and only one class. No Jeep JT 2500s or whatever. Heaven forbid if Jeep and Dodge has trucks competing at the same time with each other. Look what happened the last time that was around... bye bye to Jeeps truck line.

Now yes, I will say the specs frame wise on that JT is nice IIRC. But I don't like nor count these new one piece bodies as trucks (think hondas thing or the ford one). Like I said, this is nothing more then a Scrambler brought back from the dead, and it seems to ring a bell that it didn't do so well at the time. I mean, if you all want to get technical, lets compare a scrambler cj-8 to a real truck of its time. both bare stock and see which one holds up. Then lets compare this to a real truck of today. Bet the results will be pretty close for both. Sure, this might go down well today, but I want a truck with the bed separate from the cab. It allows it to flex separate from the cab.

I have never been a Ford fan so I had no idea about those. But back then trucks were tough as rocks no matter who made em.

Blah, I get touchy on this subject because I have lived on and worked on a farm my whole life. All I have ever owned are trucks. And yes, while a wrangler or scrambler new or old would be fun, they can't be used in place of a truck no matter what its designation is.

Alex

I have never been a Ford fan so I had no idea about those. But back then trucks were tough as rocks no matter who made em.

I agree with 99% of all of that. Trucks were different then and I think that Ford held up fine then, and I also agree with you that if Ford did that now, it would fall apart. I just don't like that to be thought of as the deciding factor of truck vs. not, but each person should think for themselves.

Wasn't the Gladiator a seperated cab and bed?

Wasn't the Gladiator a seperated cab and bed?

The new ones right? Yes, the bed was separated from the cab. The front of the bed/back of the cab was the same piece though. It was the floor, sides of the bed, and tailgate that made up the bed on the new Gladiator. The front of the bed/rear of the cab was a pass-through like on the Avalanches. I could do without that but I just some people would like it. The way it worked was like this, the sides of the bed wrapped around the sides of the cab a few inches and the rear of the cab sort of curved into the bed area a few inches. But only the outer shell of the bed did this "wrapping" the inside "plastic" of the bed did not, it cut over to the outer shell one way and then got up flush with the front of the bed/rear of the cab. When the front of the bed was folded down into the cab (after the rear window was rolled inside of it) it made the extra floor and the rear of the front seats made the front of the bed, which were lined on the back with plastic or something.

Its really hard to explain. It was a lot easier to understand when you actually saw it and how it worked.

If you meant the old Gladiators, they only came separate. lol

Alex

I'm sorry, you can not count this thing as a "truck". On a real truck the bed is separate from the cab. This is nothing more then an updated Scrambler CJ-8 and I will not buy into it. I want a hardcore Jeep pickup. I live on a farm and need a real truck, not something that is one body. Once Chrysler became their own again they said to watch for some of the concepts of the past few years that got great public reaction to come out in the future. So I am still praying for the Gladiator with a Cummins or the very least a Hemi. THEN we have a true truck on our hands again. :cheers:

Alex

I work at a light manufacturer. We ust got the new Chryco stuff for our Jeep line. Pics and all. Lets just say you aren't too far off the mark with a cummins gladiator style, but the package we got shows some neat stuff. Its all security though, so no pics and forget I ever told you :brows:

Alex

I work at a light manufacturer. We ust got the new Chryco stuff for our Jeep line. Pics and all. Lets just say you aren't too far off the mark with a cummins gladiator style, but the package we got shows some neat stuff. Its all security though, so no pics and forget I ever told you :brows:

Told us what Colton? 8) I know how that stuff goes, I could tell you things GM doesn't want anyone to know after working at the dealership in sales. We would get briefed on all the new stuff and everything, what we could say if a customer walked in and asked about the rumors. Same thing when I was at the Jeep dealer, but thats all old news now, like the Libby and all that jazz.

I have heard rumors of the JKs maybe getting the dodge 4.0 and maybe the Cummins. Since I guess most are not impressed with the 3500lbs towing limit. And if the JKs got the Cummins and a Jeep Truck came out, I would be hard pressed to be able to pick between a 4dr JK or the truck.

Alex

I'd be interested if it comes with the diesel. But it's not really a "truck," it's a return to the CJ Scrambler concept.

Don't count on the "Big C" doing anything, though. Remember, Chrysler killed the Comanche to eliminate competition for the Dodge Dakota, long before Daimler entered the picture.

I'd be interested if it comes with the diesel. But it's not really a "truck," it's a return to the CJ Scrambler concept.

Don't count on the "Big C" doing anything, though. Remember, Chrysler killed the Comanche to eliminate competition for the Dodge Dakota, long before Daimler entered the picture.

Exactly, and remember what the head guy at Jeep told us once they stated that the Gladiator Concept was red light, "There is always the Dakota".

So it seems they still don't want the in house competition.

Alex

Alex

Told us what Colton? 8) I know how that stuff goes, I could tell you things GM doesn't want anyone to know after working at the dealership in sales. We would get briefed on all the new stuff and everything, what we could say if a customer walked in and asked about the rumors. Same thing when I was at the Jeep dealer, but thats all old news now, like the Libby and all that jazz.

I have heard rumors of the JKs maybe getting the dodge 4.0 and maybe the Cummins. Since I guess most are not impressed with the 3500lbs towing limit. And if the JKs got the Cummins and a Jeep Truck came out, I would be hard pressed to be able to pick between a 4dr JK or the truck.

Alex

Lets just say light pickup with 4cyl diesel Cummy. 6spd and Solid Axles. Available extra cab and such. Based off the Dakota platform with the newer libby front end styling. There is more to the book but its all blacked out so we can't see it :(

Here's my theory.

The new fad is swapping in light diesels into smaller rigs. Chryco could and verywell may be a few steps ahead of the rest. A diesel suv? Who else has them 'cept Mercedes. You've got diesel Grands, Diesel Libbys. They already have a design for the Dakota, to much $$ to r'n'd a new design to fit a diesel, why not take a jump and plant out another Jeep rig. Base it majorly off the Dakota but market it as a light diesel pickup. Ford doesn't have a diesel Ranger. Chev has these little weirdo Colorados.

Bring out a 'brand new' vehicle. Diesel with optional v6. Bigger tow rating. available extra cab. auto and stick trannies. Solid axles. This is looking more toward making something the original Jeep was. What they want the new J-bingo nuts whatever to become. A barebones truck for people who don't have 30k to spend on a tough rig that can run errands to the co-op, haul farm equipment, be driven through worksites. A real truck.

Sounds like they took this idea and ran with it...

Image Not Found

Oh, and as of right now there is no diesel for the Canyon/Colorado. There is a smaller DuraMax in the works, hush hush at this point. But the biggest engine in them right now is an inline 5. And it can only tow 3500lbs. Very weak.

Alex

Oh, and as of right now there is no diesel for the Canyon/Colorado. There is a smaller DuraMax in the works, hush hush at this point. But the biggest engine in them right now is an inline 5. And it can only tow 3500lbs. Very weak.

As of mid 08 ext cab and crew cab Canyons/Colorado's will have a 5.3 v8 op. I owned a 04 reg cab colly with the I5. the I5 has plenty of grunt to pull 4000lbs. GM under rates it so people will go for the Full Size pickups(my theory atleast). I got wicked crazy mpg out of it too 22 mixed driving(lead footed even) and on average all hwy 25mpg...i once got 28 mpg on a 600 mile trip. I miss that truck sometimes.

The Canyons might be able to tow 4000lbs, but my MJ can pull way more then that, you should see the loads it handles around the farm. It just seems to me that that is still a tad weak. But then again even the full size GMs are weak when you look at Dodge and even Fords ratings.

Too car like are the trucks of today. Can we say this enough times? lol

Alex

Sounds like they took this idea and ran with it...

Image Not Found

Alex

A 'smaller Izuzu-max'....

Izuzu already makes them.

They offer several 3 and 4-cyl diesels in other markets other than the North America. And they offer a 4-cyl diesel in their commerical truck line.

Same with Ford using the Ranger. Mazda already has small diesels in other markets in their version of the Ranger.

The issue becomes getting them ready for certification.

I couldn't believe how hard it was to get a Diesel Libby. When they were introduced I went to a dealership to test one out and they couldn't get any at that time. They finally got one about 6 weeks later, and it was already sold but I got to drive it. I was really amazed. Quiet, rode nice and powerful. The drawback is that it was small inside.

I would love to get one in the Commander.... That would make one nice cushy tow rig.