Musically Inclined?

Zenobian_84

Just wondering how many other music heads are out there such as myself. Been playing different instruments for about 3 years now. Got any stories of how you got into playing / what's your favorite instrument to play?

I'll start I suppose ;) I got into music several years ago by chance mostly. I reconnected with an old friend of mine who I hadn't seen since we were both in grade school. It so happened that he had tons of different instruments. So, long story short, we both ended up jamming together on several occasions and he began teaching me keyboard. He had this kind of old beat up Casio WK 1350 that I just started playing and soon got really good at. Eventually, I bought it off of him and had it for about 1 1/2 years until I sold it to a pawn shop to get the $ to buy my MJ. Basically, you could say that if it wasn't for me getting into music, I never would have bought the truck I have today, or have learned as much on automobile's as I do.

Fast forward to this past April (month before I pawned my keyboard for the MJ) and I was starting to get tired of playing on the keyboard. I'll always enjoy playing great songs from Van Halen, Firehouse, Ratt, etc on keyboard, but I really wanted myself a guitar. Fortunately for me, the same friend had an... (coincidence :shake: ) old, beat up, '91 Marshall Washburn that he was willing to sell me for $80. I bought it off him and cleaned it up a bit; took it to get electrical work done on it, and get myself a $#!&ty little Esteban amplifier.

Aside from learning to play the guitar at almost the same breakneck pace (learned keyboard fluently in a matter of 1 1/2 months) here is a shot of me and my guitar. I wouldn't say this or the keyboard have changed my life drastically, but they have changed the way I view a lot of things. So without them, I don't think I'd be the same person I am today.

------------

I suppose that'll do for story, so I'd probably say that my favorite instrument to play will still and probably forever be the keyboard. It'll always hold a special place in my heart, not only because it was what I learned first, but how I was able to use it to express such an incredible variety of emotion within myself.

(An after work picture of a worn out 18 year old and his worn out 20 year old guitar) :D

i play all the basic instruments, guitar, bass, drums. did have a harmonica and started to play the piano. neither went far. i still have about 9 guitars and 2 basses. two guitars are still in project phase and some just need to be tuned up again. been playing since i was about 14 when i met up with some guys who played metal. tried drums first, instant natural on them. wanted to jump around more so i went to guitar. after jumping and head banging nonstop for quite awhile i wanted to "slow down" and groove. so i went to bass. easy as $#!& to play. never really played in a band as a bassist but ive jammed out tons of times as one.

now days i play on occasion when i get bored or the MJ doesnt require my attention. i just kind of fell out of music for the time being really. no interest in joining a band or starting one anymore. its that time of year again so I'm back in the "wheeling, guns and camping" phase. just picked up another little bang bang toy yesterday as a matter of fact :chillin:

I play mostly my bass. Anything with strings I can either play or fake pretty good. I especially enjoy my baritone ukulele. Played in a couple bands over the years all over the state until the last one kicked me out of their club for not being a team player... apparently not wanting to play a show because I need to work the next day at 4:00 a few times was too much for them. Anyhow, I left and the band broke up two months later. From what I heard, everyone was asking where the dude in the kilt went.

... wish I still had time for that kid stuff.

:wrench: I will stay in the garage and work on Jeeps!

I did piano and trumpet for 5-10 years each growing up. I never had the drive to do very well at either so the skills I did develop have gone by the wayside. It has been almost 10 years since I have played an instrument. I don't think I even remember the note letters any more, let alone how to play.

I always admire folks who can play, even if its not my kind of music.

I play mostly my bass. Anything with strings I can either play or fake pretty good. I especially enjoy my baritone ukulele. Played in a couple bands over the years all over the state until the last one kicked me out of their club for not being a team player... apparently not wanting to play a show because I need to work the next day at 4:00 a few times was too much for them. Anyhow, I left and the band broke up two months later. From what I heard, everyone was asking where the dude in the kilt went.

... wish I still had time for that kid stuff.

Sounds like a friend of mine I know. He went through the same thing, band wise. Also, that's a sweet kilt :cheers:

back in school I played all the brass instruments, from trumpet to tuba. at one point I was into guitar, but that went away after I shook hands with the table saw and messed up the fingertips on my left hand. at one point tried to switch over to left handed, but never really gave it enough effort (it's an insanely weird experience).

• 1 month later...

Been playin guitar and sax for about 7 years, picked up banjo about 3 years ago. Grew up with a bluegrass dad and a heavy metal mom. Yes, I do hit the fuzz on the banjo occasionally, its freaky. But I'm a 5th generation mountain musician, played in everything from bluegrass to black metal. My mp3 player has the oddest selection to most people :D