Super Clean Super Nice 1988 MJ....gotta see it

WahooSteeler

I don't think that's an MJ, that's a super rare jeep "commanche"

also see "jeep comanchie", "camanche", "cammanchee", "commance", etc.

How do people manage to misspell it so many different ways when it is written on the side in big letters? :nuts:

I just found it also and posted it in the e-bay For Sale section. Think I'll take out a second mortgage and buy it. :shake:

It's discounted to $15k on e-bay. :D

Mods delete my other post if needed.

Gotta say, I wish my engine bay was that clean... :eek: Must have been a complete teardown resto paintwise at least. But why did they not take the badges off??? You can see the overspray on the 4x4 badge. I like the OEM bedmat and that chrome bumper is rare. Wheels are fugly. :ack:

I would pay 4k for it if it ran as good as it looks... 3500 if it still has the BA-10/5 in it...

For $16000 youd think they could have put the JEEP lettering back on the tailgate after the fresh paint job. No bodywork my azz.

:agree:

Yeah, original Jeep paint from 22 years ago always has orange peel like that.

used-1988-jeep-comanche-pioneer-9174-4511013-12-400.jpg

used-1988-jeep-comanche-pioneer-9174-4511013-13-400.jpg

This shot looks nice to me:

used-1988-jeep-comanche-pioneer-9174-4511013-26-400.jpg

The one with shiny crap all over the hoses, not so much.

used-1988-jeep-comanche-pioneer-9174-4511013-27-400.jpg

I find it funny that it has all the chrome accents (mirrors, tailgate latch, bumpers, grille, etc)

used-1988-jeep-comanche-pioneer-9174-4511013-4-400.jpg

used-1988-jeep-comanche-pioneer-9174-4511013-7-400.jpg

but not the little chrome 'diamonds' that go behind the top part of the hockey stick armrests. :hmm:

used-1988-jeep-comanche-pioneer-9174-4511013-15-400.jpg

Also not a huge fan of these wheels,

used-1988-jeep-comanche-pioneer-9174-4511013-11-400.jpg

Some mint-perfect stock aluminum spokies would be perfect for this MJ. :yes:

Side note,

this:

used-1988-jeep-comanche-pioneer-9174-4511013-17-400.jpg

drives me nuts.

WTF did Jeep cheap out on the material on the back of the seat. :dunno: :hmm:

They went to all the trouble of color matching the back panel & rug,

they they use Grey across the board on the seat back, no matter what the seat color. soapbox.gif

Yeah, that saved alot. :roll:

Looks just as craptastic with my 89's Maroon interior.

but not the little chrome 'diamonds' that go behind the top part of the hockey stick armrests. :hmm:

good catch!

How do people manage to misspell it so many different ways when it is written on the side in big letters? :nuts:

I saw the double 'm' misspelling on a Comanche front fender in the junkyard by me, 8 inches from the emblem. :rotfl2:

that thing has more "peel" then a bushel of sunkist oranges

I guess they never heard of "cut & buff"?

that truck may be worth 5k to 6k tops...I think they need to step away from the pipe :nuts: :rotfl2:

but not the little chrome 'diamonds' that go behind the top part of the hockey stick armrests.

My '88 Pioneer came from the factory like just like that (but in maroon), and without remote mirrors, totally manual :nuts: . I only thought my panel was weird when I saw an XJ in the Junkyard that had the little chrome pieces.

but not the little chrome 'diamonds' that go behind the top part of the hockey stick armrests.

My '88 Pioneer came from the factory like just like that (but in maroon), and without remote mirrors, totally manual :nuts: . I only thought my panel was weird when I saw an XJ in the Junkyard that had the little chrome pieces.

I've seen them both ways:

My low optioned 'Grandpa' Pioneer came like this one, with the big chrome plates, but no diamonds,

but my optioned out 87' XJ Laredo that had all the chrome stuff (less mirrors), did have the diamonds,

so that led me to expect pimped out versions to have them. :dunno:

Either way, I'm surprised they didn't add them when they attached the 'chrome magnet' (obviously new parts were added to this 154K mile MJ)

Well lets see if I can throw some other things on this. What a joke, original paint. If it's a pioneer, where's the dual hockey stick stickers down the side or the pioneer emblem. I've never seen a pioneer with paint matched fender flares. Oh, didn't they stop the 10 slot grill in 87? Nice zip tie on the 101 connector. For that much money you think he could of replaced the busted center console. I never knew the factory am/fm was made by Blaupunkt. That discoloration on the carpets indicates moisture has been under them. No jack? No paint on the tailgate handle. Is that the right full cluster for a 88? Can't remember. Lower body trim has been replaced. Only original paint on the truck is the air dam that they forgot to paint. It also appears to have the newer rubber around the windshield.

Someone get the VIN so we can get a build sheet.

:cheers:

Well lets see if I can throw some other things on this. What a joke, original paint. If it's a pioneer, where's the dual hockey stick stickers down the side or the pioneer emblem. I've never seen a pioneer with paint matched fender flares. Oh, didn't they stop the 10 slot grill in 87? Nice zip tie on the 101 connector. For that much money you think he could of replaced the busted center console. I never knew the factory am/fm was made by Blaupunkt. That discoloration on the carpets indicates moisture has been under them. No jack? No paint on the tailgate handle. Is that the right full cluster for a 88? Can't remember. Lower body trim has been replaced. Only original paint on the truck is the air dam that they forgot to paint. It also appears to have the newer rubber around the windshield.

Someone get the VIN so we can get a build sheet.

My Pioneer came with painted flares and front airdam, well what was left of paint, when I got it from the original owner. (who did absolutely nothing to the exterior the entire time he owned it, except putting eggshell exterior/interior paint on the hood and roof in a vain attempt to stop the rust :ack: ) Also, the headlight trim and 8 slot grille were not black, but argent (dark grey) and black.

It had a black tailgate handle, the pioneer hockey decals and most of the lower rubber trim that one has. Black bumpers and endcaps. Also had ugly white painted steelies with chrome centercaps. No chrome whatsover on the body except the badges on my Pioneer.

This thing was chromed up so they could try to charge $$$ :rotfl2:

My Pioneer came with painted flares and front airdam, well what was left of paint, when I got it from the original owner. (who did absolutely nothing to the exterior the entire time he owned it, except putting eggshell exterior/interior paint on the hood and roof in a vain attempt to stop the rust :ack: ) Also, the headlight trim and 8 slot grille were not black, but argent (dark grey) and black.

It had a black tailgate handle, the pioneer hockey decals and most of the lower rubber trim that one has. Black bumpers and endcaps. Also had ugly white painted steelies with chrome centercaps. No chrome whatsover on the body except the badges on my Pioneer.

This thing was chromed up so they could try to charge $$$ :rotfl2:

Yeah after I posted I got to thinking about the painted flares. If the air dam is original paint, it would only make sense the flares came painted.

On the lower trim, on that truck, it doesn't appear wide enough to be original. Also the piece at the front of the bed should go all the way up to the edge and the rear piece should be about a half inch to inch beyond the tail light front edge.

Forgot to mention the overspray on the lower control arm.

It's a nice truck but no way worth more than it rolled off the lot for new.

I also have a Pioneer with painted flares and front air dam. Also doesn't have the "typical" Pioneer logo, but that's only because it's an Olympic edition and those got their own special decal, which I actually really like...much more than the hockey stick Pioneer emblem.