Parts Truck... Its Home Now!

ComancheKid45

Alrighty I found this Truck @ a local car lot. Bought for $300

here's a pic and the list of possible perks/ flaws. $300 isnt too bad IMO and I can probably make that back out of it at some time with parts/scrap if needed. Thanks for any opinions jamminz.gif

1990 LWB 4.0l Auto 4x4, 94,xxx miles

Frame is garbage and would in no way be road worthy, without MAJOR work

Body is pretty rough, cab corners/rockers are toast. However Floors are still present and in ok shape

Tailgate is toast, Bed has rust above the wheel wells and in a few other spots, would likely need some work or a sazsaw, incl. flares

Tail lights have a few small cracks but are in good shape

Transmission is supposibly shot, fluid looks new so idk about that

Engine runs without issues, blowby is noticable though on Air Filter

Brand new Alternator installed, hell there aint even greasy fingerprints on it, spotless! lol

Gas Tank appears decent and has sending unit still installed.

Has 5 leaves on the rear, 4 +1 flat overload, thats either a MT package or PO added an AAL at some point, rear doesnt appear lifted. However it still has just a Dana 35

Interior is kinda dirty but includes a decent condition bench seat with head rests. most noticable flaw inside is the passenger window crank is broken. No Carpet just rubber floor overlay

Thats about all i can think off off the top of my head, this would only be used as a parts vehicle for when I need things over time, ill likely just tear everything i possibly could off of it over a said period of time and eventually scrap the rest but I intend in no way to make this a street or trailable truck. I think I can make up the cost out of it even with things i don't need to keep but wanted a few more opinions from some others who know these trucks just as much.

Thanks Again :thumbsup:

i would assume the trans is shot, most people wait till it stops moving, and then change the fluid, and obviously its too late by then. so you see a lot of bad transmissions with new fluid.

sounds like there's not much there, a good running 4.0 thats worth 2 to 3 hundred pulled, and the tank/sender. bench seats not worth anything, alternator isn't worth anything, leaf springs are worth a few bucks. sounds like you may make 200 bux if you're lucky, and thats if you can tow it, if you have to pay for tow its barely more than a wash. by the time you're done with it a tow truck will come and take it for free for the title. thats about it on the low end of looking at things.

Its maybe a mile from the house...so even if the trans is drivable/limpable I can easly get it home or I have friends that are willing to drag it home for me. I have space to keep it for awhile as well and plan 2 eventually strip all the usable parts from it and scrap the rest, it comes with the cap also in good shape so theres probably $100 back right off the bat if i sell that. Dad says its a good investment with certian parts of these things becoming rare so I'm likely gonna go for it. :yes:

I wouldn't hesitate a minute on that deal :D

Most of the rust buckets I have in the fleet were $250 - $350, about the same condition you described. Only thing, most of them ran, it's the frame that the metal eating termites got to :(

What are you waiting for :dunno: grab a tow dolly, take the cash with you, and have a great time dragging it home :D

Not now, but a couple months ago, you could have re-cooped your 'investment' with selling the tail lights on e-bay.......... :teehee:

And I agree.......you'll brake even with just the engine.

Post up pictures when you get it back home :yes:

i would assume the trans is shot, most people wait till it stops moving, and then change the fluid, and obviously its too late by then. so you see a lot of bad transmissions with new fluid.

sounds like there's not much there, a good running 4.0 thats worth 2 to 3 hundred pulled, and the tank/sender. bench seats not worth anything, alternator isn't worth anything, leaf springs are worth a few bucks. sounds like you may make 200 bux if you're lucky, and thats if you can tow it, if you have to pay for tow its barely more than a wash. by the time you're done with it a tow truck will come and take it for free for the title. thats about it on the low end of looking at things.

I'd like it for $300. If the transfer case is good and a good D30 plus the correct length drive shafts for my SWB. Yep, that would be a no-brainer. I have a 4x4 AW4 sitting in my garage. It's also the same year as mine..

Mac...

alternator isn't worth anything,

Really?? A new alt here is a $100! :smart:

Sorry Dave I couldn't resist :rotfl2:

sure, but if you wanna buy used alternators for $100 give me a call :waving: , if it ain't in the box unused, its not new to me, unless i watched it get installed, and never, or barely used. :brows:

It will be here @ home tonight or tomorrow. Owner said he'll transport it up here for free.

The Engine fired right up with a battery and sounds great! No knocks or ticks at all :clapping: The Tranny is definently shot or something else is preventing it from moving, lol ill get pics ASAP :yes:

Good deal :D

And Free Shipping :eek: Even a better deal :yes:

If the frame is totally shot, you have alot of parts there :brows:

Just for S & G, pull the tranny inspection plate, and check if the bolts have backed out from the torque converter, common problem, and it acts like the tranny is shot :roll:

Well here some pictures of it here @ home still untouched by myself..... Its definently not pretty but I feel good knowing I saved alot of MJ Parts that will live on, on other trucks :yes:

Engine runs decent, but the transmission is loose or something is broken internally between the Engine block and the Bellhousing because it will shake violently and you can visably see it from the engine bay.

Frame rot anyone? :eek:

Metric Ton Leafs or just simply an AAL?

Interior isnt trashed atleast

Another side shot, ignore my Dog being a goober :rotf:

Guest we got to give you a 'Salute' for saving it from the crusher :thumbsup:

Not bad, lots of MJ exclusive parts on the 'ole girl ;)

Yea, check out the tranny, could be missing bolts to the engine too.

At least you know if the tranny is trash or not.

I pick a '88 up that was missing 2 feet of frame right under the passenger floor board, the floor pan didn't have a spot of rust on it, but underneath...........nothing but air :shake: