From the "Well $h!t" Files

jeepnut_99

My wife was driving the Comanche home from work the other day, and got whacked right on the back tire by a Neon. Knocked the rear axle almost plum out of the truck. Thankfully neither party was hurt. The truck is banged up a bit, but I'm going to FINALLY get the 44 put in it. It's only been sitting in my garage for a year. Time for some other improvements while it's in the shop too...Anyway, here's a couple of pictures...Scott

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Yeah, Sure did a number on the old girl! I know the shackles are twisted, but all the mounts look ok. I won't know for sure on that, or the frame until I get it put on the rack. Keep your fingers crossed. They did have liability insurance, but I haven't heard from them yet as to what they will pay....if anything. The way my luck goes, I'll be in for a fight with their insurance.

Wow! Busted the main leaf right off!

Are the mounts and shackle still good?

IN TWO PLACES!!! WOW!!! Glad to hear everyone is OK!!!

Stock shackles are tin/thin junk, upgrade these as well. I suggest JKS 1.5" lift XJ units. I don't know if you know this, but The XJ has 3.5" long shackles while the MJ's are closer to 5.5" so a 1.5" lift XJ shackle is about the same length as a stock MJ shackle. They are WAY stout and good looking to boot!!

CW

They did have liability insurance, but I haven't heard from them yet as to what they will pay....if anything. The way my luck goes, I'll be in for a fight with their insurance.

Do not wait for them to contact you. You need to file a claim with their insurance. You will most likely never hear from them if you wait for them to initiate the process.

Willy

Did you have any witnesses, or get the police involved?

If I'm not at fault for an accident, I'm calling the police unless I have a damn good reason not to. Legally here, over $1000 in damage or any injury and you technically have to call them. It doesn't take much to hit $1000 in damage with the way body shops screw people.

I just don't like getting the short straw when the other party starts getting creative with the story.

well, did the insurance fix it or they total it.... If the price to fix the jeep exeeds the value of the truck it will be a total loss and the insurance company will screw you all the way to the bank - do not ask me how I know.

They will total it if it's any where near 80% of the value of the vehicle. But in my case, cosmetic body damage was going to be $2k plus to fix on a truck appraised at $1250 (which is more than I had invested in it at the time). Instead I haggled with the insurance company and got $1016 while keeping the truck with a clean title.

I then turned around and spent $1016 on a lift kit :D