van build up thread:

Sir Sam

You pull a cobound and go buy something else:

3ne3m73o1ZZZZZZZZZ97523ae1f8c6027125a.jpg

3na3k73o8ZZZZZZZZZ9753ad4d977329d1bcb.jpg

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1254800523.html

So my dad got himself a hippy van to live in. (down by the river). Right now all the parts to convert it to a weekender(pop top, cabinents, etc), and a syncro(4wd) are for sale on CL. The syncros come with a granny gear and lock front and rear diffs.

Also, it comes with a device that controls the passage of time under the seat:

glass-bong2.jpg

In reference to:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... a_ep45.jpg

More pictures, coming soon.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my dad got himself a hippy van to live in. (down by the river). Right now all the parts to convert it to a weekender(pop top, cabinents, etc), and a syncro(4wd) are for sale on CL. The syncros come with a granny gear and lock front and rear diffs.

glass-bong2.jpg

In reference to:

whats that? ohhhhh its the VW kanooter valve, right? :chillin:

My grandparents owned one for quite a while and my uncle inherited it after they passed away. You might be better off trying to sell it to these guys. The restore them and sell'em for big bucks. Highly popular especially here in Oregon for some reason.

www.gowesty.com

They also have a large stock of aftermarket parts and engine kits.

My grandparents owned one for quite a while and my uncle inherited it after they passed away. You might be better off trying to sell it to these guys. The restore them and sell'em for big bucks. Highly popular especially here in Oregon for some reason.

http://www.gowesty.com

I am well aware of gowesty, they rebuilt the transmission on my dads 99 eurovan(POS, never want to deal with a eurovan again).

gowesty is where we will get the new canvas for the pop top.

I think a subaru engine is in our future as well.

The bong or the van? :chillin:

http://www.gowesty.com

I am well aware of gowesty, they rebuilt the transmission on my dads 99 eurovan(POS, never want to deal with a eurovan again).

gowesty is where we will get the new canvas for the pop top.

I think a subaru engine is in our future as well.

Knew a guy who put a 911 engine in an old style micro bus when I was in HS. One of my uncles also had an old micro with a corvair engine in it. He was going to give it to me when he moved, but I was in college and had no place to store it. No idea where it went when he died.

glass-bong2.jpg

In reference to:

If only Tommy Chong (of Cheech and Chong fame) used your carefull choice of words when he got busted and did time for marketing such a device. :chillin:

van1.jpg

van2.jpg

van3.jpg

van4.jpg

van5.jpg

Spare parts, craftsman tools came with it, parts of the pop top inside.

van6.jpg

van7.jpg

van8.jpg

Window being held up with pliers:

van9.jpg

van10.jpg

van11.jpg

Couple of busted headlights:

van12.jpg

van13.jpg

Probably pull the windshield and rear window for the repaint, see what kinda price my windshield guy can get for a new windshield.

van14.jpg

van15.jpg

The westy top conversion will be cool, but I want to see it with all the syncro stuff on it, maybe lifted, and doing some articulation poses!!! I used to have a 1959 Microbus Panel, lowered, with a 1776cc type 1 engine with dual 48mm CBPefrormance fuel injection, Big valve CBP 044 cyl heads, 1:25 ratio rockers, electronic fuel injection, serpentine belt system, and chrome everywhere. The things you can do with these VWs probably is equal to or even larger than what all you can do on Jeeps! Gotta love it. If I had a dig pics of my 59 Id show you. Keep us updated on it!

I'm not sure the syncro conversion is in my future. The syncro trannies are expensive to rebuild(having previously owned one and needing to have the trans rebuilt).

This Carat is kinda the other way of the syncro, its lowered a few inches and handles better than the normal height vans.

I'm thinking that maybe we will just stick with 2wd, and get the LSD diff and go that route. I think it will be plenty capable for getting off road places to camp then.

I still think an SVX engine way be in my future.

Got my westy parts today:

In the Van:

vIMG_0578.jpg

vIMG_0579.jpg

vIMG_0580.jpg

vIMG_0581.jpg

vIMG_0582.jpg

Out:

vIMG_0584.jpg

vIMG_0585.jpg

vIMG_0586.jpg

vIMG_0587.jpg

$100 for all the westy stuff, need a fridge door, a few latches, Sink faucet is missing, propane tank was gone and lines cut. I will probably try to sweat on some new fittings so I can use the smaller green coleman type of propane canisters(I never liked having the tank underneath).

last insurance check I got was for $5300 when a semi truck ran over my almost new yamaha YZF600 in 2005 (I put 200 miles on it) after cutting a corner too short at the pool hall, from a road it wasn't supposed to be on. I cashed it but cashed if tor all $10 bills (bank wouldn't do singles) then I brought it to my room, threw it all up in the air, and rolled around in it.

then I promptly gathered it up and went in to pay off my loan... :wall:

Found an 83 westy with a subi conversion. Alot of the van was just a big hack job, hoses running everywhere, wires, bunjee cord hold up radiator pipes for the front rad, chain holding up the rear muffler, foam stuck through the hole for the rear floor heater.......etc

But, it had some conversion parts(not sure who from, perhaps smallcar?). So I got the adapter plate, flywheel, and clutch disk/pressure plate. Additionally it looks like it had an upgraded starter, and a professionally made exhaust. I had fun with all the CV bolts - been years since I replaced the tranny on my syncro, so I didn't really remember needing any special tools to remove it, I should have read the manual or searched here first to make sure, I love how german cars always tend to throw random special tools in that need to be special ordered.

So got all the parts pulled, left the hackjob, and carried em out. $105 out the door. Just the flywheel and plate from smallcar is $540. A nice stainless header is $380 + cost of cat and muffler. What I have isn't real pretty, but perfectly functional. I figured I just saved $815 by getting this score at the junkyard.

van16.jpg

van16.jpg

They also had a 95 SVX that I missed getting the engine on. I was planning to pull it last monday, and went to make sure it was good on sunday only to have a kid start pulling it a few minutes later. Would have been $308 for all the SVX parts I needed. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Big day for the Westy stuff!

Cut the the roof out the westy I got my cabinets out of, I think this solution better than the other way I was thinking of doing it(welding in angle iron and trying to get the hole size right). This should be the best way to go for me as I am very familar with removing body panels spot welded on and installing new ones, so I think I can get a pretty clean install this way.

$115 for the roof panel, plus buying my roomate a soda and a couple of chicken sausages at home. After getting the pop top out of the way and removed the windows it probably took me 10 minutes to cut through the pillars, super easy.

What ticked me off and took like an hour to fix was my sawsall. I've had this thing for like 6 years, about 2 years ago my last of 2 batteries just died off, I bought a cheapo harbor freight corded unit to get me by untill I felt like buying new batteries(pricey). Well the harbor freight unit quit out on me, so I bought two new batteries at the home despot(coudn't wait to get cheaper ones ordered). So with my two new batteries all charged up I start cutting, after about 30 secs worth of cutting the sawsall just stops. Nothing, dead. So I take it all apart, manually jump power to the motor, and it runs fine, so I start thinking its the switch. Quick research shows the switch costs about $25 online, or $50 in denver. Screw that I think. So I start trying to figure out a way to jump power, I start testing my wires and find that one of the wires that leads from the trigger to the motor has lost continuity. So I figure it broke apart internally somehow(which is strange for a non-moving part), so I'm getting ticked off now at this thing, I am about to harvest some wire from a nearby car and try and fix it, when I look at the connector and see that the crimped on connector is crimped over the plastic insulation!

Great, I just spend an hour tearing apart my sawsall trying to figure out why its not working all over 4 mm of insulation that didn't get stripped 7 years ago on the assembly line!!!!!! Oh well, at least it didn't cost me anything and I got it fixed in the yard without wasting a trip!

So I got the roof cut off, managed to man handle it out of the vehicle, managed to man handle it onto 2 wheel barrows, roll it up to the office, put it on some movers dollies(thank gawd that the parking lot is paved), get it out to the van, up on the roof, strapped down, and transported safely an hour back home on the interstate.

Got home to my new faucet, then went and picked up my fridge door at the post office. Fridge door came very well packed from Canada(thanks greg!-plug). Tomorrow the fans for the fridge mods come. I got a piece of vinyl remnants that will go down over a plywood floor. Got my second battery kit from the junkyard van, got two swivel seats from the junkyard van.

Getting closer and closer, now I just need a good day to get to work on the van!

van18.jpg

van19.jpg

van20.jpg

van21.jpg

Looks like that flywheel needs a good machining :eek: .

PS, where do you get the energy to do all of this stuff? I get tired just reading your posts.

I'm young and I don't get laid.

Maybe you don't get laid because you are too busy working on vehicle projects. :dunno: :yes:

PS, where do you get the energy to do all of this stuff? I get tired just reading your posts.

Nothing like a VW van to change that! :rotf:

A rolling shag wagon. :rotfl2:

Willy

Maybe you don't get laid because you are too busy working on vehicle projects. :dunno: :yes:

vicious cycle I suppose

Well, My fans came today so now I can start thinking about adding them in, right now I am thinking about 2 of the 120mm fans behind the fridge, and 1 of the 60mm fans inside. Since I don't have the control panel I am planning to just wire them up with a 3 way switch, off - high - low (might do the rear fans and the inside fan on separate circuits)

Also got two of the door stop plates as recommended by someone else to mount the new faucet to:

van22.jpg

Got the faucet installed, using the plastic door protectors as recommended by someone else, super easy and they cost about $2 each. Used a 3/4" wood hole-saw but still had to wallow it out some.

Faucet seems really nice and easy to move around. I kinda feel like my pump could flow more water, but oh well, it'll do.

On high:

van23.jpg

van24.jpg

Low:

van25.jpg