Good deal on MJ Floor Pans

HOrnbrod

:hmm:

comanche with the xj package

Actually the Comanche is considered a package of the XJ line, the truck package. You'll notice this if you look at your registration (least it shows it here in Ohio I believe) or if you decode your VIN it will show it as being a Cherokee with the Comanche style body. Not much unlike any other truck that has been based on an suv, I think the Gladiators were considered truck body/package of the Wagoneers. :smart:

And they do look pretty flat in the picture, could just be the lighting though. :dunno:

~Alex

I think the point of the "(XJ Series)" was to ensure that people knew he was talking about the MJ and not a J truck with the Comanche package. Originally that's what Comanche was, a package on a J truck. Just like Ford and the Ranger. Originally a package for the F100 (I believe) and then turned into a mid/compact truck.

Actually the Comanche is considered a package of the XJ line, the truck package. You'll notice this if you look at your registration (least it shows it here in Ohio I believe) or if you decode your VIN it will show it as being a Cherokee with the Comanche style body.

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. Ohio may consider the Comanche a variant of the XJ, but Jeep did not and the VIN does not in any way indicate so.

The VIN decodes as follows:

Digit: . . . . . . . . Means

------------------------

1st . . . . . . . . . . Country of manufacture

2nd . . . . . . . . . Company make (Jeep)

3rd . . . . . . . . . . Type (Truck)

4th . . . . . . . . . . Engine Type

5th . . . . . . . . . . Transmission

6th & 7th . . . . . . Series (65 = 4WD Comanche, 66 = 2WD Comanche)

8th . . . . . . . . . . Trim Package

9th . . . . . . . . . . Check Digit

10th . . . . . . . . . Model Year (G=1986, ...)

11th . . . . . . . . . Plant of Manufacture (T= Toledo)

12 - 17 . . . . . . . Serial Number

There is nothing in this code to suggest or mention XJ. The XJ VIN shows Type 'C' for the third digit, which translates to "Multi-Purpose Vehicle" (not "Truck")

The VIN decodes as follows:

Digit: . . . . . . . . Means

------------------------

1st . . . . . . . . . . Country of manufacture

2nd . . . . . . . . . Company make (Jeep)

3rd . . . . . . . . . . Type (Truck)

4th . . . . . . . . . . Engine Type

5th . . . . . . . . . . Transmission

6th & 7th . . . . . . Series (65 = 4WD Comanche, 66 = 2WD Comanche)

8th . . . . . . . . . . Trim Package

9th . . . . . . . . . . Check Digit

10th . . . . . . . . . Model Year (G=1986, ...)

11th . . . . . . . . . Plant of Manufacture (T= Toledo)

12 - 17 . . . . . . . Serial Number

There is nothing in this code to suggest or mention XJ. The XJ VIN shows Type 'C' for the third digit, which translates to "Multi-Purpose Vehicle" (not "Truck")

Hmm Maybe I saw something wrong then when I decoded mine but that doesn't even come close to how mine looked when it was decoded. The order is all off IIRC, I'd have to check again but it looks out of order. Maybe because mine is a '91?

~Alex

Hmm Maybe I saw something wrong then when I decoded mine but that doesn't even come close to how mine looked when it was decoded. The order is all off IIRC, I'd have to check again but it looks out of order. Maybe because mine is a '91?

Possibly. That info was taken from the original 1986 MJ factory service manual. Doesn't even have a code for the 4.0L engine or the short wheelbase models, because they weren't introduced until the following year.

Hmmm ...

http://www.comanchemj.1hwy.com/custom3.html

"1991-1992 Coming Soon" (big help)