Comanche Chief Pics

Assuming I posted this correctly, here are some pics of my '87 Comanche. I was the original owner. It was my wife's daily driver until I sold it to my dad in '95. He drove it for 13 years and put 10k miles on it. It was starting to rust pretty bad so I felt sorry for it and rescued it for $500. Then I took it to a body shop for new paint, body parts, decals and so on. They had it all summer. It has 83k miles on it. The roll bar was factory original as was the fog lights (they don't work though). Jeeps don't like the salt on Indiana roads so the body panels were gone. Particularly behind the fender flairs. Hopefully, you off-roaders won't laugh too loud but did I mention I store it in a heated garage!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:idea: Ughhh that truck is ugly..... :ack: You need to just let me take care of it for you.. I think I'm going to be sick just looking at it.. :nanner:

As much as it'll hurt to take it off your hands, I guess thats what friends are for... You don't need such an nasty, fugly truck like this one... :no:

:rotfl2:

I'm not laughing. If that were my rig it would NOT go off road for fear of scratches in the paint, not to mention body damage.

Heck, I wouldn't even drive it in the winter here in Ohio. That truck is too beautiful to mess it up.

that is a great looking rig. I hope and we all do to have a clean looking truck like that.

As for the decals if he can not get them for yas let me know. I have a friend that has a ploter and vinle cutter, he can make them no proble. he is an airbrush painter. look up heath Morrel on face book or eazairfx.com or eazyairfx on face book. he has posted alot on facebook. just tell him Colin sent ya. he can take the mesurments off my truck. He ships world wide. does all kinds of pait job for people around the worls and the stickers would be nothing to make.

Thanks everyone for the kind words regarding my truck (excuse me, my wife's truck). When I got that thing, the engine ran a little rough and with no exaust, it sounded (and looked like) S!&t but I knew about the 4.0 and how it was maintained originally when I had it so I wasnt concerned about the mechanics of it. It still idles rough when warm and I think it has a bad sensor burried somewhere so in the spring, I plan to take it to a mechanic again. It needed a new bed, new rockers, 2 new doors and 2 front fenders. The wheels were pitted badly and the windshield was broken. Other than that, the body was great. :brows: I searched local junkyards for body parts. We found 2 cherokee doors in great shape $150ea. The big find was a bed in near perfect condition with no rust anywhere except surface on the headboard due to a cab fire. The junkyard didnt know he had it. We found it by accident in the tall grass. He used it with his skid loader to haul scrap. I paid all of $200 for that bed! :clapping: It required minimal touch up. Lucky for me, some guy's comanche caught fire and left the road early. That was the only bed I found with no rust around or behind the flairs. Comanches are disappearing quickly. The front fenders are new and the rockers are new cherokee rockers. As far as the cost of the restore, I have about $6,000 in the paint job. That includes the front fenders, and the rockers, windshield and stickers. He also needed to weld in a new cab corner on the drivers side. I found only one of those with no rust (due to Indiana weather of couse). It wasnt what I would call a frame off restore. The frame was fine but when you take everything off a truck but the cab and hood, there is not much left.

Below are more pictures. It doesnt look as bad as it was. Behind those flars, there was nothing but rust. Those Chief decals were basically holding on the bottom of the bed in front of the rear wheels. If you bumped them, it would leave piles of rust on the floor.

The wheels are the originals. I sent them to transwheel in Huntington to be refinished. They look new. The price was around $150 per wheel.

The frame looks a little rusty toward the back as you can see. It was only surface and was sanded and painted. For the last 12 years, it was stored in a garage with no garage door. That really messed up the rear springs. So I replaced those.

Regarding the stickers, the body shop charged me $500. He felt that was a little high. He hired a sign guy to make them. They took photos and made them with a vinyl cutter. I am pretty picky and they looked very accurate except they were not as flat of black as the originals. If I recall correctly, there are 2 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear. It looked good but it didnt look new until I clay bar'd it (after waiting 3 months). Now the paint feels like glass. I still see those doggone swirl marks though when the sun shines on it just right. :fs1:

The interior is near mint condition. Although I must admit I really want to remove that bench seat and put in a couple of buckets even though I don't think they were offered for the '87 chief.

Any other questions, please ask.

Here is what it looked like:

• 4 weeks later...