heres an 86 sales brochure

Lewt2007

:agree:

I found it kind of interesting that in the field of Comanches, they tried to represent a varity of people. There's black, white, maybe hispanic, young couple, older couple, single mom, and maybe g a y couple. Not trying to imply anything, but that was pretty smart marketing for the 80's.

:cheers:

I found it kind of interesting that in the field of Comanches, they tried to represent a varity of people. There's black, white, maybe hispanic, young couple, older couple, single mom, and maybe g a y couple. Not trying to imply anything, but that was pretty smart marketing for the 80's.

and the family of three with the tan MJ is pretty sweet, because it has bucket seats :eek:

lol I saw that too... lol

and the family of three with the tan MJ is pretty sweet, because it has bucket seats :eek:

The older couple with the white one has BLACK buckets. :nanner:

Its got a maroon dash and wheel...I'm guessing it has maroon buckets. Poor lighting.

Here I thought you were going to say something about the daughter. :D

If you remember, in the 80's, riding in the bed was still done a lot. Oh wait, I guess you wouldn't remember that much.

j/k Pat ;)

Here I thought you were going to say something about the daughter. :D

If you remember, in the 80's, riding in the bed was still done a lot. Oh wait, I guess you wouldn't remember that much.

j/k Pat ;)

haha. 1987 all the way baby.

and no, I have better taste than that for sure...

Hey I just notice something. In all the pics, the white one with camper shell, has the exact same one that is on mine. Can't read the print to well but it wasn't a factory option was it? Maybe a dealer option I would guess. :dunno:

A few thoughts. Didn't they offer a bench with headrests? Because that tan one with the family of 3 is an XLS, so if I'm correct that they did offer that, it would be on that model which was the highest trim level in '86. However, now that I think about it, they were those little ones, not the big cushy ones like in the pic. Oh well.

I like the Erik Estrada look of the dude in the leather vest and cowboy hat standing by himself with the red XLS. Like Chester Cheetah says, "it ain't easy being cheesy".

Dig the Eagle Wagon near the end of the brochure with the full Jeep fleet pictued. What a POS...........ahead of its time, but a POS regardless.

One of you pointed out that they marketed to the masses with that being a "cutting edge" approach for a pickup in the mid-80's. I basically agree, but as a mid-size truck built on a quasi-car like platform with a small displacement (borrowed) V6 as it's biggest engine, they knew they couldn't just market it as a big ole macho truck. That being said, I have always been struck by one thing every time I see an ad for the 86's since they were new to the market that year. The text for the front cover says:

"There's a new truck on the road. It's called Comanche. It's built by Jeep. It's worth a look."

It's worth a look? Are you kidding me???!! Boy, that would have made me all fired up to go check one out. Doesn't exactly sound like Jeep was all that confident in it. "Hey, we know there are a lot of mid-size trucks already out there, but ours is at least worth a look." Sheez, some real marketing geniuses put their heads together on that one. And what about the dumbASS Jeep exec that signed off on using such a powerful statement. What a hook it has!! You really hit a hot button with that one!!

I mean, in the few minutes I've been typing this, I've come up with at least 3-5 other lines that are 1000 times better than that soft sell.

1. Don't say anything there at all. Just end it with "It's built by Jeep". This would have been best IMO.

2. "Any questions?" For the mentally impaired who don't complete the thought they want you to if they just ended it with "It's built by Jeep."

3. "Enough Said." Same as above.

4. "Need we say more?" Same as above.

5. "That's right, it's a Jeep." Just an exclamation point to #1.

Think about it. Jeep. Jeep! Friggin Jeep!!! You've got, even in 1986 (especially in 1986 or before!) easily one of the top 5 brands IN THE WORLD!. Behind Coca-Cola and maybe McDonald's, what other brand could you go to literally any part of the WORLD and have probably 80% or more of the people say they know what it is???

Ok, I'm done.

soapbox.gif

WAHOO,Tell us how you really feel. :D

LOL, yeah, another worthless Wahoo rant about something that has absolutely no relevance to ANYTHING going on in the world today. But it felt good none-the-less LOL. Who knows, maybe somehow this tiny little message in a bottle will come face to face with either the person who wrote the ad or the Jeep Exec dork that approved it. And if so, I hope they are a least smart enough to get what I want to tell them:

"You are EFFING STUPID!!" :thwak: :rotfl2:

Think about it. Jeep. Jeep! Friggin Jeep!!! You've got, even in 1986 (especially in 1986 or before!) easily one of the top 5 brands IN THE WORLD!. Behind Coca-Cola and maybe McDonald's, what other brand could you go to literally any part of the WORLD and have probably 80% or more of the people say they know what it is???

Amen rev.

I agree with you Wahoo. That slogan needs the word "pleeeaassse" :oops: behind it to make it completely pathetic.

However I do like their slogan, "Easy to be a truck, hard to be a Jeep".

I'm trying to figure out how I can put that on the Wild build in a tasteful place with a little style. :brows: