More new MJ Owner ?'s - Dash Cluster/"Dome" Lights

Are the clusters interchangeable (as far as the wiring and connections and stuff), and/or "year specific"... would and 86 cluster work on an 89? Such as ;http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Jeep-Comanche-Cherokee-Instrument-Cluster-w-Tach_W0QQitemZ270195183973QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33675QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would prefer to have a cluster with a big tach and the 89 MJ I just picked up has the Big Gas Gauge and no Tach. There are also 2 "Open" spots on either side of the steering column. What was supposed to go there? I see connectors, but nothing is there.

dash1wm0.jpg

dash2um7.jpg

One more thing, the "dome" lights don't some on when I open the doors. Other than the obvious things like checking the fuses and the bulbs", is there something else I can/should look at?

Thanks

SW2

Have you actually looked at the interior lights? They're not a very good design. Sometimes they just simply don't make good contact with the bulb. I had some that were corroded just enough to keep them from doing so. I sprayed them with contact cleaner and they worked for a while. Replacement was the only permanant solution. I bought new ones for 1 of my trucks, don't know if they are still available from the dealer. I paid $24 wholesale each. The lights in my remaining MJ are doing the same thing now, and once in a while they will come on with the doors open, but most of the time not. They will come on with the light switch turned to the interior light position. You can try cleaning the contacts, but after you see the lights up close, you'll realize its not as easy as it sounds. Plus the more you mess with these stupid lights, the more chance you'll break the tabs that hold them in the side panels. Mine hang from the wires :nuts: . Poor design.

My dome lights come on when I open the door if I have them flipped down. The light itself rotates, maybe you didn't try that.

The blank spots beside the steering column are for switches. The left side was for fog lights and something else, can't quite remember. And the right side is to switch the tranny from comfort to power, and for the rear wiper (for XJ).

Nice writeups! We all know the original dome lights suck for illumination. Sure beats spending $70+ on a stock pair on ebay, I went ahead and bought the temp/compass and domelight mirror on quadratec it killed a lot of critters with one stone for me. I don't mean to hi-jack but in my eliminator I noticed I also have lights under the dash by the kick panels that helps a great deal. Is this standard on all MJ's? If not I noticed that some places sell kits for brighter lights under there.

Nice writeups! We all know the original dome lights suck for illumination. Sure beats spending $70+ on a stock pair on ebay, I went ahead and bought the temp/compass and domelight mirror on quadratec it killed a lot of critters with one stone for me. I don't mean to hi-jack but in my eliminator I noticed I also have lights under the dash by the kick panels that helps a great deal. Is this standard on all MJ's? If not I noticed that some places sell kits for brighter lights under there.

No, the under dash lights came with the "Interior Lighting" package option. But all MJs I've seen are already wired for them, the receptacles are tucked up behind the kick panels. So you can pull them from a junk yard XJ and just plug them. Oh - and they did change the plug in 1991, so if you have a 91/92 MJ get the newer ones.

the stock dome lights are a 3 position switch. when in the up position they should come on manually. in the center position they are off, i.e. always off, down position, come on by door opening. my door switches were shot, got replacements at teamcherokee.com for less than $10 I think. you will need to clean the contacts on the lights too, most likely. be carefull when you pull them out, they have 2 flex tabs on the right or left side depending how they were put back in the last time someone had them out. anyway, these plastics tabs are very fragile and are the most common thing to break on these which keeps them from holding in place, so be gentle.

there are replacements out there for less than they go for on ebay. most of the guys here seem to have a private stockpile of them, but occassionally they let a pair go LOL!!

the stock dome lights are a 3 position switch. when in the up position they should come on manually. in the center position they are off, i.e. always off, down position, come on by door opening. my door switches were shot, got replacements at teamcherokee.com for less than $10 I think. you will need to clean the contacts on the lights too, most likely. be carefull when you pull them out, they have 2 flex tabs on the right or left side depending how they were put back in the last time someone had them out. anyway, these plastics tabs are very fragile and are the most common thing to break on these which keeps them from holding in place, so be gentle.

there are replacements out there for less than they go for on ebay. most of the guys here seem to have a private stockpile of them, but occassionally they let a pair go LOL!!

Well, after a short drive today, I messed with the dome lights, in the daytime and they acutally do sort of work. The Door switch on the driver side is gone , physically missing, and the one on the passanger side seems 'crooked;. But with a little tap and wiggle, and a push up and down, the lights on both sides came on. But in either the up or down position, they stayed on whether the passenger side door (the only one with a switch) was open or shut. So not a big deal, I know they work when I need them manually, so thats the important thing. If I happen across some door switches at some point in my travels, maybe I'll fix it up.

Might go for the swap at some point if I run across those replacement ones.

SW2

• 6 months later...

Alright i know this is a few months old......but i finally got an OEM pair of interior lights and they won't work at all, ive read all the info on em.....right now I'm thinkin its bulbs (ill check the lights with a test light tomarrow) but it could also be any of the other culprits. but right now they won't light with anything (door switches, headlight switch turned or manually flipping the lenses)