convert 89 mj to power windows+locks

what do i need to do this?what year stuff will fit?is my truck "pre-wired" for any of this?

your truck isn't pre-wired for it, it's all lay-in stuff though.

you need the complete door and crossover harness(es) from a 2 door cherokee with power windows. get those, lay them in, attach the switch panels. you will need a power window regulator and motor from a 4 door cherokee front door for each side.

it is a plug and play system, but like I said, w door is the system you want. cut out the rear hatch harness from the cherokee harness, re-wrap the wiring, and ta-da it works.

the 4 door system has 2 extra switches and wiring that will need to be cut out, since you don't have rear doors.

what do i need to do this?what year stuff will fit?is my truck "pre-wired" for any of this?

you need the complete door and crossover harness(es) from a 2 door cherokee with power windows. get those, lay them in, attach the switch panels. you will need a power window regulator and motor from a 4 door cherokee front door for each side.

it is a plug and play system, but like I said, w door is the system you want. cut out the rear hatch harness from the cherokee harness, re-wrap the wiring, and ta-da it works.

the 4 door system has 2 extra switches and wiring that will need to be cut out, since you don't have rear doors.

I've done this, but elected to do just the power windows, not the power door locks. I used a 2-switch window controller panel from a RHD XJ passenger side door for my drivers door, and rear 4DR single switch panel for the passenger side door. Makes for a neater install w/o all the extra switches. The 4-door wiring harness is good to have only for the molded switch connectors that mate to the window switches. For regulators I used the XJ front door Electric Life kit; the XJ regulators have a very bad problem with longevity, and they are slow as hell. I've got the wiring schematic if you need it.

I've done this, but elected to do just the power windows, not the power door locks. I used a 2-switch window controller panel from a RHD XJ passenger side door for my drivers door, and rear 4DR single switch panel for the passenger side door. Makes for a neater install w/o all the extra switches. The 4-door wiring harness is good to have only for the molded switch connectors that mate to the window switches. For regulators I used the XJ front door Electric Life kit; the XJ regulators have a very bad problem with longevity, and they are slow as hell. I've got the wiring schematic if you need it.

no,no,no... you did it all wrong man!!! You need the extra 2 switches for the power sliding rear window and the other for the power sunroof...

no,no,no... you did it all wrong man!!! You need the extra 2 switches for the power sliding rear window and the other for the power sunroof...

:nuts: :nuts: Didn't want to clutter up the doors with that crap. Slider switch is on the dash, no sunroof :oops:

:nuts: :nuts: Didn't want to clutter up the doors with that crap. Slider switch is on the dash, no sunroof :oops:

Is a rather large switch huh... shoot a pic of your rear slider.. It was you that got the power slider ,,, right?? :hmm:

Err, not really. I just used the existing mounting hole in the dash that the XJ rear defroster switch fits in, and used it to trigger a relay.

Is a rather large switch huh... shoot a pic of your rear slider.. It was you that got the power slider ,,, right?? :hmm:

Err, not really. I just used the existing mounting hole in the dash that the XJ rear defroster switch fits in, and used it to trigger a relay.

So you do have a power rear slider???

Had one. Pulled it out and sold it a few years ago when I added the camper shell since I never opened it anymore. Got it used from a local glass shop. It was a CR Lawrence model EPS700. Don't know if they are even available anymore.

• 1 month later...

which wires are the power and ground for the window and lock circuits? when i look at the diagrams it says red for the windows and violet for the locks. problem is, when i look at the harnesses they have a red/black and no violet for the locks. sorry to hyjack the thread. it's just that very soon i will be doing the switch over to the 91 cherokee doors i bought.

both wires to the motors and the actuators are power and ground. :D

You switch it from one way to the other to get it to work.

The window motor runs forward one way and when the wires are reversed it goes the other way. The door locks work the same way.

The window motor runs forward one way and when the wires are reversed it goes the other way. The door locks work the same way.

ah, yeah that makes sense. duh to me, reversing polarity. but do I have the right colors that should go to a 12volt source?

ah, yeah that makes sense. duh to me, reversing polarity. but do I have the right colors that should go to a 12volt source?

If you can provide an email address I'll send you the color code drawings and spreadsheets.

If you can provide an email address I'll send you the color code drawings and spreadsheets.

sweet thanks. Ifixit8@hotmail.com I have a haynes manual and it's a little vauge. so any help will be great.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone wants to do the swap. You can use 2 or 4 door motors. You can use pass rear in driver front and so on. Just need to re bend a little. Locks are listed as front or back , but all are the same. Four door and 2 dr harness the same. You just don't use the rear or for MJ's no lift gate lock. Violet wire is pwr and you can run a 10 gu wire and 30 amp fuse and your windows will speed up. Go to naxja and look up greag smith power door lock fix. My locks slam open and shut , fast windows and pwr mirrors on my 2dr with 4dr main harness . I'll do my mj soon then a/c over the summer. Might try installing my tan country int while I'm at it.

• 1 year later...

You can use the 4 door harness, just don't plug in the rear door harness. No need to do any cutting. The only difference is the drivers dr switch. AS a note the dr rear will work on the pass front with just a little bending if you can't find a pass mtr with enough power . Run a 12 gu wire directly from the batt with an inline 30amp fuse for more power to the windows and locks. It's a popular upgrade

There is a violet wire just plugged into the block from the front. When you pull the harness just unplug it. You have to pull up all the rug at the front and it runs behind the console and heat duct. It will just unplug at the kick panels. All the plugs are different so you can't mix them up. You need to push the rubber plug that has the door harness in it to pull the harness through the doors. Drill out all the rivets to remove the power windows and locks. I bolted mine in and did'nt use rivets. The glass comes out with just 1 nut and plastic bushing/washer thingee. When you re-run the main harness keep it up a little higher (keeps it from sitting in water all the time). Once you remove things your more or less an expert at installing it. I did'nt say professional because no ones gonna pay you to work on your own Jeep ! :clapping: